Internationals Great Britain 2019 Tour

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Maate Levi played for Toa Samoa in the game today against Fiji
yeah, my bad hearing and that shite ground sound system.

Reaction score

Blindside

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I heard the Kiwi's had to fly Kodi over from Sydney for the test.
Didn't the pre-season start on the 1st of November?
No wonder we can't compete.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Now those Poms I would sign :D

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Now those Poms I would sign :D
My grandad knew a fair few of them as it was his era, a few Cumbrians made the trip. The bloke at the bottom of the picture where a few of them are leaning out of the train window is a famous son of Barrow, Willie Horne. I’ve got his biography somewhere. There’s a statue of him in the town

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
My grandad knew a fair few of them as it was his era, a few Cumbrians made the trip. The bloke at the bottom of the picture where a few of them are leaning out of the train window is a famous son of Barrow, Willie Horne. I’ve got his biography somewhere. There’s a statue of him in the town
Thems were the days. Good tough coal miners. Mt.Wellington needs to look up coal miner on Wiki ;) . We had them on the West Coast, Huntly and even up north in Whangarei

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
That’s a very downbeat film if you’ve never seen it. The playing sequences are very well done though
Especially the early scene where he gets punched in the kisser in the scrum;)
Attractive woman says to Richard Harris...so you are a rugby star? Harris says roogbeh doesn't have stars, they just have people like me.:D

and before I forget...heyzeuss loves you today Hardyman;)

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The most famous GB tour was a couple of years before I was born, with this the key match

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/rugby-league/great-sporting-moments-australia-18-great-britain-25-brisbane-1958-1741171.html?amp

Ike Southward who scored tries in the Aussie tests (think he may have been injured by the time they got to NZ) I knew when I was a small child, I wrote him a letter when a local journo was putting together a biography and myself and my Dad (he played against Ike in junior rugby) are named as contributors in the book

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
The most famous GB tour was a couple of years before I was born, with this the key match

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/rugby-league/great-sporting-moments-australia-18-great-britain-25-brisbane-1958-1741171.html?amp

Ike Southward who scored tries in the Aussie tests (think he may have been injured by the time they got to NZ) I knew when I was a small child, I wrote him a letter when a local journo was putting together a biography and myself and my Dad (he played against Ike in junior rugby) are named as contributors in the book
I watched those tests at Carlaw Park. 25000 people crammed in. The atmosphere was electric even though it was cold and wet and Carlaw was boggy. That was an excellent GB side and I remember a young Alex Murphy running rampant in the second test.

Also, they might not have been gym junkies but they were tougher than any pussy from the modern era. Heyzeuss spare me that was where the term "Carlaw Clothsline " came from. If they weren't decapitated it was play on, and a punch up was a genuine punch up. Excuse me while I wipe away the tears.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
I watched those tests at Carlaw Park. 25000 people crammed in. The atmosphere was electric even though it was cold and wet and Carlaw was boggy. That was an excellent GB side and I remember a young Alex Murphy running rampant in the second test.

Also, they might not have been gym junkies but they were tougher than any pussy from the modern era. Heyzeuss spare me that was where the term "Carlaw Clothsline " came from. If they weren't decapitated it was play on, and a punch up was a genuine punch up. Excuse me while I wipe away the tears.
so i take it you old fossils reliving yesteryear, think the old boys were tougher than today's athletes? You do know that most of them would never make it in a modern team right? that training, safety and skills have moved on since then. Yes they dont allow punchups, and yes players have to respect, gays, women, non christians and non drinkers today, but that doesnt make them weaker or poorer than their bumkin ancestors. The game has moved on, because time has moved on. Just like the cops wont let you beat up your wife anymore, players who want to box or wrestle are encouraged to find sports more in line with their thinking.
That most of those old boys even be selected in the modern world. I mean how many of them were stars at 10 years old, how many at 13, because if they cant cut it by then, their chances of getting into a modern team are slim to none. Drinking every night and before games might have been fun, but modern athletes dont do it for a reason. Todays athlete supports a huge pantheon of supporters with their paycheck and to them its all about longevity in the role, their thinking is skewed towards keeping in the papers and keeping everyone happy. Average good is where its at. Standout if you dare, but understand the door is just waiting to hit your arse on the way out.

Reaction score
Worried2Death

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Ok boomer. In my day we decapitated each other before the game and played with our heads in a shoebox. Tell that to these snowflakes now, they won't believe you.

Reaction score
Tragic

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
so i take it you old fossils reliving yesteryear, think the old boys were tougher than today's athletes? You do know that most of them would never make it in a modern team right? that training, safety and skills have moved on since then. Yes they dont allow punchups, and yes players have to respect, gays, women, non christians and non drinkers today, but that doesnt make them weaker or poorer than their bumkin ancestors. The game has moved on, because time has moved on. Just like the cops wont let you beat up your wife anymore, players who want to box or wrestle are encouraged to find sports more in line with their thinking.
That most of those old boys even be selected in the modern world. I mean how many of them were stars at 10 years old, how many at 13, because if they cant cut it by then, their chances of getting into a modern team are slim to none. Drinking every night and before games might have been fun, but modern athletes dont do it for a reason. Todays athlete supports a huge pantheon of supporters with their paycheck and to them its all about longevity in the role, their thinking is skewed towards keeping in the papers and keeping everyone happy. Average good is where its at. Standout if you dare, but understand the door is just waiting to hit your arse on the way out.
Yes they were tougher.
Yes, you are right they wouldnt make it in a modern team. But thats part of the probem with the modern game, its too much science and process (yep I said it) not enough natural talent, natural skill and toughness.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes they were tougher.
Yes, you are right they wouldnt make it in a modern team. But thats part of the probem with the modern game, its too much science and process (yep I said it) not enough natural talent, natural skill and toughness.
There is enough skill and talent around, Manu Vatuvei being an obvious example, I don't know any Mark Grahams though. Mannering would be the closest to it.

Reaction score
Damo

Damo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yes they were tougher.
I'll have to respectfully disagree, there is a LOT of natural talent, skill and toughness.

Payne Haas is one of the most naturally gifted players physically, skill wise and to have the toughness to play as well as he has this year as a teenager in the middle is pretty mind blowing, especially considering most props don't come of age until their mid to late 20's.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Awesome game this.
Was expecting Fiji to give them a touch up but gotta love the kumals- I’ve always had a soft spot for them crazy fuckers.

Top Bottom