General Grant Rovelli

Robster_old

Guest
so many topics relating to him, ok he has signed to 2010. The question is will he still be our half back in a few years time, he is a decent player with shades of spark but he does lack a kicking game. He had a very average kicking game last night, I feel we need a player in the halfs with a goodish boot who can kick long and produce hang time into bombs. Any players with that talent off contract?
 

mosh_old

Guest
I heard theres a guy at the end of next year will be off contract. I think he will be 31 and apparently he is a good player. Plays in France..
 

MarkW_old

Guest
He will improve I'm sure, the more game time he is given.
Trouble is, we've been spoiled with having Stacey for so long, we've never had to worry about having a skilled halfback.
 

JonB_old

Guest
This is a funny post Robster, recently you made a post saying Grant Rovelli our next superstar.

I would like to see Jones and Rovelli in the havles togther
 

Robster_old

Guest
Yes indeed I did say Grant Rovelli would be our next Super Star, but somehow it doesn't look that way but heres praying he will improve as he is only a rookie.
 

IanR_old

Guest
Mosh said:
I heard theres a guy at the end of next year will be off contract. I think he will be 31 and apparently he is a good player. Plays in France..

We can only hope.
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
I think some people forget a few details here.
1- he's only played three games @ halfback. Do you suddenly expect a certain miracle?
2- MarkW made a good point, the Warriros have been spoilt for years when it came to halfback coz you always knew what Stacey could do. For the record there are times when he's played some what poorly (I'm sure even he would admi to that) but did people go off and blame him? Didn't think so.
3- Bar a few kicks that didn't go to plan and one stupid call he wasn't as bad to be honest (yes you can call me bias if you want).

Ravs wasn't ever going to be perfect immedaitely, and I feel that's what everyone seems to want. Perfection. Well sorry to say that idea doesn't exsist in this world anymore.
You'll just have to forget about what the Warriors have had in the past and move on.
 

Iafeta_old

Guest
I have a lot of faith in this guy.

He has great footwork, a terrific short passing game, a bit of vision (as I thought was evident with one of his first ever touches to put Tony Martin over, or so we thought at the time), a decent long kicking game. He needs to work on his short kicking game, often its retrieved short of the goal line with ease. And he has terrific speed, he's very quick in cover.

Where he's being let down is the fact he's running the ship on his own. He'll be able to do that in a year's time, and he can still do it right now in Premier League. But its still a hell of a step up. If he had an organising five eighth outside him to help him organise, direct, and show some creativity to take the pressure off him I reckon Ravs would be half a chance for rookie of the year in the NRL. It won't happen though with Ropo outside of him.
 

andytones_old

Guest
Robster said:
Yes indeed I did say Grant Rovelli would be our next Super Star, but somehow it doesn't look that way but heres praying he will improve as he is only a rookie.

any other club he would be a superstar...warriors have a great tradition of signing superstars from the nrl and than turning them sh*t and than flogging them off to the ESL
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
Iafeta said:
I have a lot of faith in this guy.

He has great footwork, a terrific short passing game, a bit of vision (as I thought was evident with one of his first ever touches to put Tony Martin over, or so we thought at the time), a decent long kicking game. He needs to work on his short kicking game, often its retrieved short of the goal line with ease. And he has terrific speed, he's very quick in cover.

Where he's being let down is the fact he's running the ship on his own. He'll be able to do that in a year's time, and he can still do it right now in Premier League. But its still a hell of a step up. If he had an organising five eighth outside him to help him organise, direct, and show some creativity to take the pressure off him I reckon Ravs would be half a chance for rookie of the year in the NRL. It won't happen though with Ropo outside of him.

You're very right about Ropati thou. He doesn't seem to know what to do or where to be. He just apparently 'appears' His defense is another thing...makes wrong decisions more often than he makes good ones.

That's why I don't think some of the blame should be levled at Ravs (yes from time to time he may mess up) because he can't do everything himself! Halfbacks have alot of respoonsibitlies there's no doubt but everyone chips in and helps them out.
Besides, Ravs did more than his fair share of defense and attack out there. He was on several accounts one of the last guys chasing the Sharks (esp the first try to Nigel and just abut stopped him from scoring if anyone cared to notice) and was there on several other occassions. Where..was Ropati half the time? Hiding?!
 

AmeriKiwi_old

Guest
Rovelli is a very good player and will only get better with time. Mannering`s my bet as next rising star, though.
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
Robster said:
so many topics relating to him, ok he has signed to 2010. The question is will he still be our half back in a few years time, he is a decent player with shades of spark but he does lack a kicking game. He had a very average kicking game last night, I feel we need a player in the halfs with a goodish boot who can kick long and produce hang time into bombs. Any players with that talent off contract?

Just becaue of yesterday, you already starting calling heads. What sort of fan are you? Infact, what sort of fan are most of us? We want perfection right? Well sorry (ps read the end of my first post in this thread) but that is never going to happen. I can't beliebe because of yesterday you of all people would be saying that about him.
Yes maybe I am defending him a little here but what I don't get is why after any loss (or win for that matter) fans always find reasons to complain about a particular player? Incases of experienced guys like Toopi as such maybe his is warrented (he has performed badly for too long) But for some one like Rovelli it's a little sinister. He hasn't completely had bad games since round 1, and since three weeks ago being given the halfback reins hasn't blotched up badly either.
 

Robster_old

Guest
Skinny, Rovelli is a great player I know but I am concerned about his kicking game, sure he is my number 1 pick for halfback for the rest of the season but through out the season his kicking game has only been at best decent, in the halves he is the only player who plays like a player in that posistion, Jerome Ropati is a centre.
 

Kav_old

Guest
Leave Rovelli alone - the mistake last night was starting our captain on on the bench. No half back can play well without his forwards dominating the ruck. I think Rovelli would be a better player if he could concentrate mostly on a play making role.

Kav
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
Kav said:
Leave Rovelli alone - the mistake last night was starting our captain on on the bench. No half back can play well without his forwards dominating the ruck. I think Rovelli would be a better player if he could concentrate mostly on a play making role.

Kav

He's not getting any help from anyone.
 

commonsense_old

Guest
the way i see it, if you have a bad kicking game... your not a halfback. try 5/8th or hooker. A HALFBACK MUST BE ABLE TO KICK.

dont talk to me about this "he has only played 3 games" rubbish. he must have played league most of his life. you either have a kicking game or u dont. simple as that.

dont get me wrong. i think he is a wonderful player. great footwork and speed. but he should not be groomed as our halfback for the next few years. i see 5/8th as his position. releases pressure from him so he can do what he does best which is attack the line... draw and passing.

did i hear someone say in any team but the warriors rovelli will be a superstar???? that is absolutely ridiculous. the warriors are probably the only team that would give rovelli a start in the 17. them and of course rabbitohs, (even the gold coast titans wouldnt start rovelli).

i said it last week that we need improvement in our kicking game after the tigers win. half of you guys grilled me for being pessimistic. i hope now ppl can see why i was so critical despite the win.
 

JonB_old

Guest
I think that we should be the most critical after a win.
I don't think it would do the team or Rovelli any good to switch him now, I think we can win and win well with him at halfback.
I think there should be a switch at 6 and 13 swap Ropo and Sione he has had only one game at six this year.
My observations on Sione is that he has a very good footy brain, except when he has to or thinks he has to force his hand.
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
From memory, Lance Hohaia had that game against the Sharks in..Perth was it? And yes he stood out a bit (I'm not counting international football) I'm just saying at NRL level. He had one outing as a halfback last year (and fro memory had a few more from his debut year till end of '04) But even his kicking at times wasn't 'up to nrl standard' either. And I don't recall seeing or hearing people screaming for him to be moved anywhere else

Hey, I'm not saying the guy's not worth a shot either but in the times I have seen him playing there. But right now, making another change isn't going to help. Maybe I'm wrong maybe it will I don't know.
 

warriors4life_old

Guest
Rovelli has played well above the expectations required of him in my opinion. He came to the Warriors in search of breaking first-grade, not even guaranteed a bench spot and early in the season has become an integral part of the starting side.

I feel he has played pretty well, with flashes of brilliance, but his best is yet to come. Keep faith in him, he will only get better from here and who knows, he could be here for the next 5 to 10 years lighting up Ericsson.
 

Skinny_Ravs82

Guest
warriors4life said:
Rovelli has played well above the expectations required of him in my opinion. He came to the Warriors in search of breaking first-grade, not even guaranteed a bench spot and early in the season has become an integral part of the starting side.

I feel he has played pretty well, with flashes of brilliance, but his best is yet to come. Keep faith in him, he will only get better from here and who knows, he could be here for the next 5 to 10 years lighting up Ericsson.

I'd very much echo those thoughts from you mate. But, like I said in previous posts people want perfection immediately it seems.
 

Similar threads

Replies
10
Views
997
LordGnome_old
7 8 9
Replies
164
Views
8K
Skinny_Ravs82
Replies
12
Views
1K
Skinny_Ravs82
Replies
28
Views
2K
Skinny_Ravs82
Replies
6
Views
799
JonB_old

Last Game

08 May

10 - 29
3.9 Total Avg Rating
2.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 13 ratings