General Grand Final experiences

So I'm finally heading to Sydney for the first time in my life (combined birthday present for my 38th and my new partner's 40th at the end of September) and we just so happen to be going on the weekend of the Grand Final 😆

So of course I'm trying to figure out what to do in terms of tickets & just wondering for those who have been to a Grand Final where in that gigantic stadium people have found themselves and what the game watching experience was like?

Budget is pretty low so will probably end up in nosebleeds, is that such a bad thing?

Last time I seriously considered going to the Final was for my 30th in 2011 which fell through (then of course the boys made it there against Manly) so fingers crossed the miracliest of miracles happen this year 😅

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
We went for six years in a row but in the end gave up.

Getting reasonable tickets became too hard and one year ended up in the nosebleeds and it was like watching ants run around and also one could only see the bottom half of the two big screens.

If you are in Sydney then I would go out to the stadium on the day and see if I could buy a reasonable ticket from some sucker who thought their team would be in the final when they brought their tickets (but have a plan of the stadium with you and know what a fair price is for the seat being offered). Also EBay usually has tickets for sale as the final draws near and fans offload.

Reactions: Rizzah

playdaball

Heritage Member
I’ve been to two GFs and two SOO, all at Homebush.

It’s a great experience and despite the final result, 2011 was special, with the Warriors playing. I also went in 2017 when The Storm played the Cowboys, atmosphere not as good. Ideally you want a Sydney team there to add to the atmosphere. It is a magic stadium when full.
In 2011, I was in the nose bleed seats on half way and it was fine.

Sydney itself is a fantastic city with heaps to do and see. Have you sorted accomodation yet?

Enjoy.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Been to Origin and been in the nosebleeds and it was fine, you kinda see the game from above but it gives you a good perspective of the lines players are running and where the gaps are etc.
Go to Darling Harbour and circular quay the weekend of and there’s a sorta festival atmosphere with stuff from all teams

Attending a GF and/or SOO is on my list of things to do when I retire.

Been to many Challenge Cup and ESL finals, some good some bad but the atmosphere has always been topper regardless. Biggest shock was visiting the old Wembley for the first time, bit of a dump. Wembley was always a great laugh, never seen as many pissed up yet completely harmless people in my life. Some of them would go to London and drink for days

playdaball

Heritage Member
Attending a GF and/or SOO is on my list of things to do when I retire.

Been to many Challenge Cup and ESL finals, some good some bad but the atmosphere has always been topper regardless. Biggest shock was visiting the old Wembley for the first time, bit of a dump. Wembley was always a great laugh, never seen as many pissed up yet completely harmless people in my life. Some of them would go to London and drink for days
I went to Wembley in 93 (or was it 94?), Leeds vs Wigan. It was fantastic, Northerners ‘invading’ London for the weekend, a great friendly atmosphere with A full capacity crowd.
I also went to a few rugby games over there watching the ABs at the old Cardiff Arms Park was magic.

Last edited:
I went to Wembley in 93 (or was it 94?), Leeds vs Wigan. It was fantastic, Northerners ‘invading’ London for the weekend, a great friendly atmosphere with A full capacity crowd.
I also went to a few rugby games over there watching the ABs at the old Cardiff Arms Park was magic.
Offiah scoring from his own half?