General Good signs from Scotland

kingkole_old

the problem that all british nations and even european nations have is that rugbys strong hold is its deep historical links thats what RL will always be up againts and without consistent succes of national sides numbers will always reach peeks then traditionaly decline.

Northern_Union

Although the old boy network is still alive and well today the Nazi's have long since gone so i don't know if thats entirely true.

mrblonde_old

Nice to see the negativity that's screwing RL internationally rearing it's ugly head again....

If we all keep bitching about "the old boys network will keep the country's RU better off than RL will ever be", no country will ever really have a dig and frankly this is as good as it will ever get...

Four Nations is a great idea, but if Team 4 isn't up to it, you do wonder if it's worth sticking with.

It's important Wales put up a strong showing next year and PNG continue to get exposure to higher class Rugby League (as it as for all lower teir nations). If it was me running the RLIF, I'd have NZ Maori, Australia A and the northern hemisphere equivalents doing a lot of games against those kinds of nations ie 3 game tours etc.

Off-field, Rugby League could really help itself by promoting itself better.

NFL is a United States/Canada only game, but Super Bowl gets large media coverage despite the lack of international strength (obviously being the biggest country helps and having little things like ESPN, but still...) and in gaming, how many thousands of NFL games are there out there?

Same with NBA and NHL....

There's a grand total of something like five Rugby League games that have ever been done - Rugby League 1 and 2, AFL Rugby League from 1997 and one or two others - and while having a presence in gaming isn't ultimately as good as having a presence on the field, it does keep the game "in mind". However, there's no point having a Rugby League game if it sucks....stand up Sidhe and bow your noggin in shame.

One other thought - would it be better if we simply had the Lions and combined Tonga/Samoa/Fiji into the Pacific Islands for a year or two? Watching England, I was asking myself how many good Lions players are Welsh or Scottish...

And if someone threatened me with porridge if I didnae perform, Ah'd be kickin those Aussie basterds asses, ken, likesay?? :)

Northern_Union

I got half way through typing out a reply to you Mr Blonde but can't be arsed now. Your ignorant if you truely believe there is no old boy network at play. Explain the schools situation if the oldboy network doesn't exist in this country?

kingkole_old

the concept of a combined pacific island team would be great along with a combined koori / fijian / PNG team would be more beneficial to rugby league then the current format.

one of the issues surronding side from scot and wales is that they could field a competitive 13 but depth as always will be an issues I mean just think NZ have been playing league for years but it's only within the last 5-10 years that we have only just started to build quality depth of players and thats with RU stronghold , as always like I said 5 / 10k spectators will go watch roo / kiwis play -one british nations or france but the allblacks and wallys /boks will attract 30k-50k , plus even so if RU is not as strong as some suggest why cant international RL ATTRACT BIGGER CROWDS.

Northern_Union

How the hell did we get from the good work being done in Scotland to here? Such is the life of a forum thread ;)

Spence_old

I agree MS. I think instead of a combined side there should be a tournament with the sides that were going to be combined. If there was a Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Is and Papua New Guinea competition every year, I'm sure more borderline Aussie/Islanders would represent their country. At the moment, for a player like Vidot, even though there isn't much of a chance getting a gig at Origin, 3 games a year must sound a lot more appealing that 1 game every years, or however often they play these days.

Northern_Union

Something that has to happen is we have to start getting these developing nations playing tests at home. And we also have to get the big three playing away tests at these developing nations home grounds.

kingkole_old

Thats the problem why would the roo's or the kiwi's fly to apia to play a test when the largest samoan ,tongan city is auckland , and more tongans and samoan live in australia.

The issue is why top tia nations don't go and play test matches in developing countrys is the lack of financial incentives , pacific island players will get more money (match payments) from playing as part of combined team then they would playing as a seperate body,
I to agree that seperate bodies would be great if they where financialy viable unfortuately this is not the case , as someone who has played and been involved with 2nd tia nations most of these nations will never amount to anything more then what they are now easy beats for the like's of the roo's and kiwis thats the reality of international RL.

mrblonde_old

NU, I never said there wasn't an Old Boy's network at play in various countries.

My point was I'm getting sick of that argument being used as a proxy for "we won't even bother having a go" (cue the Dutch rugby league funding which was siphoned off to Dutch rugby union: what are the RL doing/have the RL done about it?)

Spence_old

Have the Dutch RL not gotten that money back yet? They must have the worst management in existence. Surely that would be the most simple court case to win?