General Golden Point

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
From Herald Sun

A POWERFUL NRL committee will lobby for golden point to be dumped in 2013 amid growing fury over dour football and timid officiating.

No sudden-death tries have been scored since the 2010 finals, with Monday night's Sharks-Roosters clash the 19th consecutive golden-point match to be consumed by incessant and speculative field-goal attempts. Of equal concern is that just four penalties have been blown in 110 minutes of that period of extra time, lending weight to claims referees are afraid of deciding matches.
The agonising 10 minutes at Toyota Park - which ended without a result - now shapes as the killer blow after members of the NRL's rules and innovation sub-committee yesterday vowed to have the concept overhauled.
The most vocal critic was Roosters coach Brian Smith - until recently a "staunch supporter" of golden point.
"We need to come up with a better way of adjudicating the game," Smith said.
"You know the refs aren't going to give a penalty, so that means players stand offside. "And that stifles any attacking opportunities.
"Everything about the situation produces negative football and that's not what the concept was designed to encourage.
"It's definitely wearing away at my staunch support. It's no longer a spectacle - it's a lucky dip. And that's not what it's supposed to be.
"It should be a fairly high-agenda item to look at when the season is over. It's time to take a good, hard look at it."
Smith and Penrith's Ivan Cleary are the only two coaches on the committee, which was established last year to submit proposals to evolve the game's rulebook.
Cleary branded golden point a "lottery" after his team's loss to Parramatta in round 16 and echoed Smith's sentiments about inconsistent refereeing.
"The referees are absolutely not going to do anything in golden point, which means it's not a game anymore," Cleary said at the time.
The Daily Telegraph contacted referees bosses Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper after Cleary's remark and both were comfortable with their whistleblowers' performance in golden point.
But NSW Origin coach Ricky Stuart - another member of the committee - agrees with Cleary and Smith.
"Once the game gets interpreted differently in regards to the last 10 minutes and the previous 80 minutes, there's no use having it," Stuart said. "Why can't teams be rewarded with a draw?
"God help the next two teams that play golden point after this story.The first team standing offside will be penalised because of reaction to this pressure."
Smith accepted some responsibility for the number of drop-goal attempts on Monday night, most of which were taken from halfway with little chance of success.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Middleton has suggested this in the past and again today (read more at nrl.com):

“I suggest the implementation of a scoring system that works as follows: four points for a win in regular time, three points for a win in extra time, two points for a draw, one point for a loss in extra time and zero points for a loss in regular time.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was surprised to see there hadn't been a try scored in golden point since 2010. I'm all for a result every match, though not sure watching sides trade FG attempts is the way forward. It was exciting for a while, but now it's literally just watching teams do nothing but go one off up the middle, soak up time, and then watch the opposition defensive line race out to charge down. Given they're sometimes trying this for the last 5-10 mins of regular time, these games can end up as just multiple desperate attempts at the FG.

David Middleton's solution isn't a bad one, though not sure it'll stop teams trading field goals....it just eases the pain of the extra-time loss a little.

I'd be in favour of golden try, if only for a season or two. If those extra time periods end in a draw, then so be it.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally im not sure that having golden try is going to work. I think it'll just lead to more draws when both teams match up defensively.

I think that points for a losing side is silly, cause then why not give points tot he team that finishes within 7 of the winning team. isnt that what rugby does? did?

Realistically golden point is just a 10 minute extension of the game to try and get a result. it doesnt gaurantee anything. Changing the rules wont change this except to change the viewing spectcule.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
i don't like golden point. Refs dont blow penalties. It reduces the extra time to hit ups for fild possesion and then have a go at a long range miracle field goal. The losing team gets nothing despite playing for longer than any other losing team in the round. I would suggest that at fulltime if the scores are level each team gets one point, then they get the oppurtunity to play 10mins extra time for another point. So you have to win the ten minute period, its not the first to score. This would allow refs to blow penalties without feeling they are deciding the match. it would make for more exciting 'normal' league play. There would still be those who say that you would be giving three competition points for the game where those that finish in normal time get the chance for two. my argument to that is you are still only getting a maximum of 2 points for the win. and those teams that can win in normal time dont have to play an extra 10mins and possibly struggle the next week.

Reaction score
Tyrael

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I posted this on Facebook

However if they keep with Golden Point what about this rule change. Any drop goal that is not successful and goes dead/caught in goal, the defending team gets to start where the kicker took the drop goal.

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I never liked the golden point system myself,I'm glad their are going to dump it.a draw is draw in my book,I'd take the 1 competion point and be happy with it.is David Middletons on crack or something theres nothing wrong with scoring system,drop the golden point and have 2 points for the win and 1 point for the draw!its worked for the last hundred years why fark with it now!

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
well, in pre golden point days, the last 10mins were golden point if the scores were locked up

Reaction score
warriors8

warriors8

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
If a team cant win after 80mins then game over. Teams often play for extra time and to be fair to whoever loses its gonna be the same as if they lost by 50 points. A close game sometimes doesnt deserve a loser.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The thing i like about draws during the regular season is they have the potential to peg back two sides on the ladder as opposed to one....so sometimes it benefits us twice over....

I have no issue with different rules going to to finals and keeping golden point for those games so that there is an absolute winner instead of a gay non playing count back option based on regular season finishes

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The thing i like about draws during the regular season is they have the potential to peg back two sides on the ladder as opposed to one....so sometimes it benefits us twice over....

I have no issue with different rules going to to finals and keeping golden point for those games so that there is an absolute winner instead of a gay non playing count back option based on regular season finishes
for the finals definitely use the golden point system.but regular season games stick with the draw,

Reactions: Gee
Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Phil Gould made a rare good point when he said why should a team that has been very competitve for 90 minutes and loses to a FG in extra time go home with the same result as a team that has been crap for 80 and absolutely smoked by 40 points. For me if they are going to do it, play a straight extra 10 minutes, no golden anything the team with the most points wins and a draws a draw. Having said that whats wrong with that happening in 80.

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
i like it, draws are shit.
I like it too.. unless the Warriors are involved in it.

Get rid of it i say! The competition already allows for draws.. it just means they're will be a few more of them..

And Phil Gould does raise a good point.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Phil Gould made a rare good point when he said why should a team that has been very competitve for 90 minutes and loses to a FG in extra time go home with the same result as a team that has been crap for 80 and absolutely smoked by 40 points. For me if they are going to do it, play a straight extra 10 minutes, no golden anything the team with the most points wins and a draws a draw. Having said that whats wrong with that happening in 80.

Seems to me to be an argument for bonus points for close losses, rather than the abolition of Golden Point.

If you lose to a field goal in the 79th, arent you also more deserving than a team that got flogged by 40?

(Note i'm not actually in favour of that).

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Seems to me to be an argument for bonus points for close losses, rather than the abolition of Golden Point.

If you lose to a field goal in the 79th, arent you also more deserving than a team that got flogged by 40?

(Note i'm not actually in favour of that).
There in lies the problem, no matter how you look at it the losing team leaves pissed off, I really don't know what I personally prefer.

Reaction score
Dankokoro 2.0

Dankokoro 2.0

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Every team would prefer to lose by 1 point than by 40, when you take in to account team confidence and of course points differential..

The reason coaches/players/officials want it abolished is not because it's unfair to the team that loses, although it can be.. It's because of the negative brand of football that it encourages and the fact that the officiating goes out the window because refs are scared to blow the whistle. 4 penalties in 110 minutes? That's bad.. and when you consider how many penalties COULD have been awarded during that 110 minutes.. offsides in particular.. that's ridiculously few penalties. I would'nt be surprised if you coul ping a player offside for every single field-goal attempted in golden point.

I think it's an ugly way to decide a winner. The other problem is, you could take it away from the regular round-robin, but you'd have to re-introduce it (or something similar) when it comes to finals.. There has to be some sort of time limit to decide a contest that must be decided.. So will they be taking it away from the round-robin only to re-introduce it in games that have much more significance?

Reaction score
LoachNZ

LoachNZ

Waterboy
Reaction score
i would like to see it gone..

Golden point isnt a very fair system when refs are being more flexible when it comes to penalties either play it for finals only or just settle witht he draw

we could be like the AFL and if the grandfinal gose to a draw they play another game :)

Reaction score
Gee

Gee

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Draws work fine in the under 20s. If you can't get the job done in 80 minutes you have only earned 1 point. We already have teams looking to close games out in the final 10 minutes with the extra 1 point from a field goal. Keep extra time for the finals game where a result is needed but during the regular season a draw should be a draw.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
It is completely stupid, but mainly because the referees are too fearful (understandably in a way) to do anything in Golden Point. You can do anything, be as offside as you like or slow down the play the ball...without fear basically. That and the fact that it's a field goal-a-thon. Maybe make it Golden Try, with any other points (field goal, penalty etc) being the tiebreaker at the end of the extra time period.

Reaction score

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Top Bottom