Internationals Golden Boot 2014

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Vodafone Warriors and Kiwi halfback Shaun Johnson is among six nominees for the prestigious 2014 Golden Boot.

Johnson is joined on the list by national teammate Jesse Bromwich, Australian duo Greg Inglis and Johnathan Thurston and England forwards James Graham and Sam Burgess.

Burgess and eventual winner Thurston were also among the six nominees last year.

The same 13-man panel that chose Thurston will again vote for the winner and the World XIII, which will both be revealed in next month’s Rugby League World, out on Friday, December 19.

The panel is assembled from both sides of the world, and includes representatives from Australia, England, France and New Zealand. Among them is former Golden Boot winner Garry Schofield, ex-Great Britain coach Brian Noble and past Kiwi internationals Robbie Hunter-Paul and Daryl Halligan.

They are joined by leading journalists Dave Hadfield, Martyn Sadler, Dave Woods, Brad Walter, Louis Bonnery, Malcolm Andrews, Mitch Dale, Andrew Voss and Steve Mascord.

The votes will be submitted during the first week in December.

“These are the six players who we feel have had the biggest impact on the sport during 2014,” Rugby League World editor Gareth Walker explained.

“Four of the contenders enjoyed outstanding Four Nations campaigns, including Shaun Johnson and Jesse Bromwich in the victorious New Zealand side. Johnson was the Kiwis’ go-to player throughout and produced a man of the match performance in the final, while Bromwich was statistically the leading forward by some distance both in the whole competition and in the Wellington decider against Australia.

“Greg Inglis had a superb domestic season and then stepped up to the plate with several of his most experienced teammates missing through injury for the Kangaroos, scoring in each group game. James Graham was England’s leading forward throughout the tournament, having played a major part in Canterbury Bulldogs reaching the NRL Grand Final.

“As always, we will ask our 13-man voting panel to consider performances at international level first and foremost, but such was the impact of both Sam Burgess and Johnathan Thurston in the NRL this season that we felt it was impossible to overlook either of them.

“Thurston did take part in an international game, earning the man of the match in the Anzac Test win over New Zealand in May, before jointly winning the prestigious Dally M award in Australia for his performances for North Queensland Cowboys.

“Sam Burgess, of course, was unavailable for the Four Nations due to his move to rugby union. But his contribution to South Sydney’s NRL title win was considerable, not least in the Grand Final, when his man of the match display with a fractured cheekbone and eye socket was one of the most iconic Rugby League performances of the modern era.”

There are precedents for players having won the Golden Boot without having played internationals during the season - 1999 winner Andrew Johns missed the Tri-Nations that year, while Brett Kenny didn’t feature for Australia in 1985.

Hookers Daryl Clark and Cameron Smith, New Zealanders Kieran Foran and Jason Taumalolo and joint Dally M winner Jarryd Hayne were among other players that were considered before the final shortlist of six was confirmed.

THE NOMINEES

JESSE BROMWICH

Statistically the prop was the best forward in the Four Nations, not least in the final where his 23 carries yielded an outstanding 150 metres. His form both for club Melbourne Storm and New Zealand recently led ex-Australian test front rower Robbie Kearns to publicly state Bromwich could become a better player than respected former Kangaroo Glenn Lazarus.

SAM BURGESS

Unavailable for the Four Nations following his switch to rugby union, he is included because of his huge impact on the NRL season in 2014 as South Sydney ended their long title drought. His performance in the Grand Final, after fracturing his eye socket and cheekbone in the first tackle, will live long in the memory.

JAMES GRAHAM

The workaholic, flamed-haired front rower led the Canterbury Bulldogs pack all the way to the 2014 NRL Grand Final. Then stepped up as England captain for the opening Four Nations game in the absence of Sean O’Loughlin, and was his side’s best forward for the whole tournament, getting through a mountain of work, most notably against Australia.

GREG INGLIS

Another key figure in Souths’ NRL title win, providing a huge presence from fullback and scoring some of the most spectacular tries of recent years, most noticeably at Brisbane. With several other established players missing for Australia in the Four Nations he stepped up and scored in all three group games.

SHAUN JOHNSON

Was instrumental in the Vodafone Warriors’ midseason recovery in the NRL, but it was during the Four Nations that he really burst into life. Has matured into a halfback that can control a game as well as provide the spectacular plays, but showed his breathtaking pace in a man of the match performance in the final, including a brilliant try.

JOHNATHAN THURSTON

Missed the Four Nations through injury, but had already left his mark on the international scene by winning the man of the match in the ANZAC Test win over New Zealand. Domestically he was again outstanding, jointly winning the prestigious Dally M award with Jarryd Hayne after another terrific campaign with North Queensland Cowboys.

PAST GOLDEN BOOT WINNERS

1984: Wally Lewis

1985: Brett Kenny

1986: Garry Jack

1987: Hugh McGahan & Peter Sterling

1988: Ellery Hanley

1989: Mal Meninga

1990: Garry Schofield

1999: Andrew Johns

2000: Brad Fittler

2001: Andrew Johns

2002: Stacey Jones

2003: Darren Lockyer

2004: Andrew Farrell

2005: Anthony Minichiello

2006: Darren Lockyer

2007: Cameron Smith

2008: Billy Slater

2009: Greg Inglis

2010: Benji Marshall

2011: Johnathan Thurston

2012: Kevin Sinfield

2013: Johnathan Thurston

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I think burgess was the best player in the nrl this year but not playing the 4 nations and skipping off to union should kill his chances IMO.
Likewise thurston didn't play 4 nations and won it last year so I'm putting a line through him too.
For me it comes down to Bromwich graham, inglis and Shaun Johnson ( didn't have the greatest season but hes got all the momentum similar to when thurston won it last year.
It would be good to see a prop win it tbh but given that 9 times out of 10 it goes to a half or fullback, Shaun Johnson and inglis look to be in the drivers seat.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Sam Burgess easily.

Reactions: gREVUS

willemse

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 30, 2014
I believe Sam burgess as well but since he skipped off to union I can't include him. Thurston also because he wasn't in the four nations. Inglis or graham for me, with Johnson being the smoky because he had an excellent four nations and did play some good NRL this year.

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
I think it is likely going to be Burgess or Inglis, but Johnson and Graham are in with a shot.

Jones and Benji both won golden boot, but Jones won when the warriors made the GF and scored one of the best individual GF tries ever. Benji won in 2010 on the back of the kiwis winning the four nations AND the tigers finishing 3rd in the NRL.

I'm thinking one of the Bunnies boys will have an edge as they won the GF, but Johnson did have a phenomenal four nations, and Graham did play in the GF too.

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
Given the international nature of the panel, and the way this is adjudicated - I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Shaun Johnson win... yeah he was up and down (though not nearly as much as some people - largely across the Tasman - seem to think), but he absolutely dominated that Four Nations, to the point where I can comfortably say: No Shaun Johnson, No title - his kicking game bludgeoned and his running game sliced... having said that, if Sam Burgess hadn't left the game, hands down he would be the most deserving, but I just don't think they can give that award to someone who is already not in the code.

Reactions: Defence

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I believe Sam burgess as well but since he skipped off to union I can't include him. Thurston also because he wasn't in the four nations. Inglis or graham for me, with Johnson being the smoky because he had an excellent four nations and did play some good NRL this year.
Didnt stop Surgess from winning the International Player of the Year even though he played zero International games. Im backing him. Was my favourite player this year.

Good luck to Shaun Johnson though...

Reactions: Horriors2014

Leedslion007

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2013
Brisbane
If Burgess hadn't left before the four nations (not certain if he would have played if his cheek bone wasn't caved in) it would have been him all day, I reckon the clear winner in 2014

But if we go on Sam not winning then I'd be happy if Graham won it.

Reactions: Sup42

STEEDEN

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Auckland
All worthy contenders for sure, I would love to see Shaun Johnson win it, mainly because Im so biased towards any Warriors, but its hard to go past Sam Burgess this year to win , he had a stellar season and with that MOM performance in the Grand Final, wins him this years Golden Boot in my opinion.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Horriors2014

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2014
And if you think last year's world cup he was dominant also. So yeah Surges all day. Shaun Johnson and Foran wI'll be dominating it in years to come. But for now Surges deserves this accolade. By far the best forward over 2 years.

Reactions: mt.wellington

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2012
christchurch
Hookers Daryl Clark and Cameron Smith, New Zealanders Kieran Foran and Jason Taumalolo and joint Dally M winner Jarryd Hayne were among other players that were considered before the final shortlist of six was confirmed.
You know, with the future of Rugby League in mind, if you look at all players who were considered, including the top 6, but disregard the two players who've left the Game (Hayne and Surgess)

We're dominating the scene with players who shouldn't be hitting their peaks for years to come!

4 Kiwi's - The youngest is 21 (Taumalolo) and the oldest is 25 (Bromwhich)
3 Auzzies - The youngest is 27 (Inglis) and the oldest is 31 (Smith)
2 Poms - Clark is 21 while Graham is 29

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
while it should be burgess - i have a feeling that it will come to Inglis

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Burgess should have won it last year.

What I'm reading here ( stirring the pot now ) is a pure NRL focal vision.

The reason that Andrew Johns set a precedent by winning the Golden boot in a season free of internationals was that he is the exception that proves the rule.

The rule is that the Golden Boot is International player of the year.

Otherwise it becomes clouded by Northern and Southern Hemisphere politics and Bias.

As such an ESL player runs the risk of never winning the Golden boot.....

General acceptance is that the NRL is a tougher competition than the ESL.

Few debate that truism.

However best player, most influential player in the game will not necessarily come from the toughest competition.

Any scientist worth their salt will point out that starting with a disputable premise and coming to a 'proof' is nonsense.

Ellery Hanley.

Played in a weaker comp....then switched to the stronger comp....and proved ( universally accepted by experts in both comps ) as the best player in the world.

Muhamad ALi. The Athlete of the century. Fought in the best professional boxing environment in the world and dominated.....While a little known Cuban Figher Teofilo Stevenson absolutely blitzed the Olympic scene winning three Olympic golds.....he refused to fight ALi at the instruction of Fidel Castro.....

That anomaly is the only chink in Ali's career......had he fought the Cuban...( greatest of all the incredible Cuban fighers ) then we would have our answer as to who is the Golden Boot of Boxing.

Finally....the reason the Judging panel is populated by Kiwis and poms is because when this award started.....International football was the greatest form of the sport...over and above the Club comps....

For this reason I pray Johnson wins over say Burgess and I pray the likes of Vossy pushing G.I are silenced by the judges from the mother country and their southern most colonials.

If Sam wins he deserves it in any case....

I just have my own agenda...

go Shaun Johnson / Jesse.....

If you visit excellent sites like TotalRL you will read post after post of ESL folk rating Johnson the best player in the world based on their seeing him at the WC and Four Nations ( well worth a read in the four nations finals thread ).

Last edited:

Sebastian

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 13, 2012
If Shaun had a Kiwi quality forward pack in the NRL this wouldn't be a discussion. Shaun Johnson made Inglis look like a fool. And stood up against the worlds best. Then dominated the worlds best.

Technically that makes him the best player in the world. Best player of the tournament as adorned by the Australians. Best player in the NRL as adorned by Andrew Webster (SMH Journalist).

Yes Burgess overall was king. But he's gone. And Shaun just stepped up to the big time. Shaun is now a top 10 player. Better believe it. Scary thing is he can only get better.

His polish is still a few years away. From tying up games like a ribbon. But what he has now achieved is blowing away teams at the highest level. And that achievement should not be underestimated for not only our future but the future of NZ Rugby League.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
If Shaun had a Kiwi quality forward pack in the NRL this wouldn't be a discussion. Shaun Johnson made Inglis look like a fool. And stood up against the worlds best. Then dominated the worlds best.

Technically that makes him the best player in the world. Best player of the tournament as adorned by the Australians. Best player in the NRL as adorned by Andrew Webster (SMH Journalist).

Yes Burgess overall was king. But he's gone. And Shaun just stepped up to the big time. Shaun is now a top 10 player. Better believe it. Scary thing is he can only get better.

His polish is still a few years away. From tying up games like a ribbon. But what he has now achieved is blowing away teams at the highest level. And that achievement should not be underestimated for not only our future but the future of NZ Rugby League.
Dont forget Shaun Johnson smashed Surgess so thats a win for Shaun Johnson there too :D...

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings