General Goalkicker

wrighty

I dream of the blackcaps winning the world cup
Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Luke isn't ready to play 80 minutes so

a) AK plays at centre - which is a good option.
b) CHT starts ahead of Green
c) Patrick Herbert is given intensive coaching - last time he tried in ISP he went 3 from 8 attempts and they dumped him as a kicker.

Reactions: bruce

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
I'm sure RTS could kick goals. He does everything else. Didn't Fusitua kick a few goals one season or am I mistaken.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Luke used to go alright when he was younger. Not sure about now though as his body has a lot more wear on it.

The best two options are the two rookie halves.

RTS if we told him at the end of the year that he'd be goal kicking would probably come back as a reliable option with the amount of work he puts into his overall game doing extras. We are already putting a lot on him with the captaincy, workload on the field.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
AK is the best goal kicker at the club, and isn't far off our favorite commentator Darrell Halagan in ability. Move AK back to center and sack that guy who can't be bothered tackling. Not Kata, he's the guy who doesn't know what's going on.

Then there's CHT who appears to be Johnson level.

Outside that there's Luke.

And of course Sam Lisone is good for the odd drop goal.

How many games are decided by goal kicking? 5 or 6 a season. No biggie really. Kearney probably doesn't like his job that much anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: bruce

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
This is from last June, but it's still interesting all the same.

Stat of Origin: Six contests in past five years decided by goal-kicking

In the last five years, six State of Origin games have had their outcomes impacted by the success of the goal-kicking, that's more than one game in every series.

NSW could have forced golden point in game one of 2013, 2014 and 2016 and game two of 2017 had their kicking been perfect and Queensland's remained as it was.

They could have won game one of 2015 had their conversion rate been perfect and Queensland's remained unchanged.

As for Queensland, in Origin III, 2016 they could have taken the game into extra time after 80 minutes had their own kicking been perfect.

With Origin I rarely being a blow-out, goal-kicking could prove vital for both New South Wales and Queensland.

If goal kicking didn't win games we wouldn't have to listen to Darrell Hallagan butchering calls every weekend now would we.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Kata
Big Ken
Both have had a goal kick attempt at NRL level.

wrighty

Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Slightly off topic but one thing I dislike about all goal kickers in league is how after they kick it they scurry around dodging between opposing players to pick up the kicking tee because somehow that.is good manners.

Let a frickin ball boy pick up the tee and how about we speed up the game by you getting back on your side of the field for the next kick off.

Perhaps when Thurston did so it looked cool now it just copy catting at best and wasting time at worst.

( this is a rant - it doesn’t need to be logical )

Bushman

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2016
Slightly off topic but one thing I dislike about all goal kickers in league is how after they kick it they scurry around dodging between opposing players to pick up the kicking tee because somehow that.is good manners.

Let a frickin ball boy pick up the tee and how about we speed up the game by you getting back on your side of the field for the next kick off.

Perhaps when Thurston did so it looked cool now it just copy catting at best and wasting time at worst.

( this is a rant - it doesn’t need to be logical )
Some what agree with you and think I understand where your coming from, though have to ask?
Is the clock still running once the kick is taken? (That's a genuine question btw)
If it's not I have no problem with handing the tee onto the ball boy/girl as their generally young kids and after one of my cousins was ball boy in an all blacks game having that tee handed to him by a legend meant so much.
JT did it without fail and sure it made a few kids week

wrighty

Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Some what agree with you and think I understand where your coming from, though have to ask?
Is the clock still running once the kick is taken? (That's a genuine question btw)
If it's not I have no problem with handing the tee onto the ball boy/girl as their generally young kids and after one of my cousins was ball boy in an all blacks game having that tee handed to him by a legend meant so much.
JT did it without fail and sure it made a few kids week
I like your posts Bushman. Cheers.

No I understand the clocks stops after the conversion as opposed to after the guy picks up the tee, so I guess time really isn't a factor now that I think about it, i guess I just regard it as unoriginal. It never happened in the 80s, Thurston pioneered it and everyone else copied him.

Reactions: jonno and Bushman

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings