General Global Warming

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
The plan, put forward by a group of business people, was to build a stadium partly sunken into reclaimed land at Bledisloe Wharf.
With global warming in full swing is that a good idea? Just asking like.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Bruce Fact the earths tempeture has risen half a degree since 1940 Bruce fact the earths temp rose .3 of a degee from 1940 to 1980 and .2 of a degree from 1980 till the present day bruce fact global warming is consumer guilt garbage
Not sure if you are serious or on a wind up but I’ll counter it with a stat regardless

upload_2018-10-10_21-41-26.jpeg

The earth will be fine however, it’s us humans that will have the difficulty coping.

Back to the topic.......

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Bruce Fact the earths tempeture has risen half a degree since 1940 Bruce fact the earths temp rose .3 of a degee from 1940 to 1980 and .2 of a degree from 1980 till the present day bruce fact global warming is consumer guilt garbage
Another Trump follower:rolleyes:

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I am from Northern Europe and my perception is that the country in the developed world where I’d least expect climate change denial is New Zealand. Well done

What is the attitude to it up there?. Unfortunately most covreage is from the crazy 'Merkins over here.

Biser

U20's Player
Jul 7, 2018
Finally someone that talks sense not scare mongering

Reactions: Old Sid

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Most people believe the science I guess. I’m going with the science rather than Donald Trump or the Texan oil producers

Unfortunately need the big players like China (who contribute 30% ish of the total) to play ball otherwise it’s a bit of a futile effort, I suspect it will be hard to get them to give up any competitive advantage.
I guess I’m a bit suspicious that the answer to solving the problem seems to be nothing other than “taxes” but no clear plan on how it’s going to solve it.
It’s also hard when there’s just as much science debunking it as proving it.
Still even if it is all bullshit there’s no harm in taking better care of the planet

Reactions: tajhay and surfin

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
I can't wait for global warming to make a bigger impact. I live on the waterfront but its too tidal, mud flats at low tide. I just ordered 20 solar panels as well.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Who put this thread in the NERD ZONE?:rolleyes:

Just to put some perspective on it there is alarm at the amount of methane bubbling up from the Arctic Tundra, which increasing dramatically. So much so that many experts predicted years ago that when that started to happen the world was a goner, no matter how much carbon was saved from man made activity.

They predict that it will cause sea quality to deteriorate (Great Barrier reef!!!) to the extent that the oxygen producing plants in the ocean (2/3 of the world surface) would succumb and we would run out of oxygen. This has happened before millions of years ago.

The 100 million dollar question is how long this will take and what will happen along the way. The respected Booker prize winning environmental author Jared Diamond wrote a book called "Collapse" about this very point 13 years ago. It is a very scary read indeed.

I remember about 18 years ago some greenie telling me that the respected environmental scientist David Suzuki gave the world 25 to 30 years maximum, which takes us to 2030 at the latest. That is scarily in line with the latest UN report which says if something isn't done within 10 years we are in trouble.

Believe Donald Trump if you will. Nobody with any sense sees him as anything more than a moron apart from the fact he knows absolutely nothing about science.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
All science has to be paid for by somebody. The art is in finding out A: Who paid for the new, fancy study that came to Conclusion A and B: Does the person who funded the science already support Conclusion A.

Couple of non-controversial examples for you:
The healthy number of eggs to be eaten per week - 1/2/3/4? Good Cholesterol in them or Bad? Seriously, it changes so often. And, oh, look the New Zealand Egg Board's report says "eat as many eggs as you want." Gee, didn't see that coming...
Exercise - Aerobic or weights? Which is best for weight loss? And if so, is it better with this diet? Oh, no, actually, that last study we reported on we underestimated the effect of muscle stress on metabolism etc etc.

Personally, I always have and always will believe the end of the Earth will come about via a few thousand mushroom clouds. Now, that war might come about because of climate change, whether man-caused/man-exaggerated/whatever, but anyone who thinks we're all just going to sit staring at each other as the world gets hotter and hotter and do nothing to outlive our mortal enemies - Israel v Palestine, Christian v Muslim etc - really hasn't thought this one through.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
All science has to be paid for by somebody.
Scientists are noted prostitutes. Most money comes from the oil and coal companies. Follow the money.
Have a good day.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Unfortunately need the big players like China (who contribute 30% ish of the total) to play ball otherwise it’s a bit of a futile effort, I suspect it will be hard to get them to give up any competitive advantage.
I guess I’m a bit suspicious that the answer to solving the problem seems to be nothing other than “taxes” but no clear plan on how it’s going to solve it.
It’s also hard when there’s just as much science debunking it as proving it.
Still even if it is all bullshit there’s no harm in taking better care of the planet
Actually China is making more effort than most other countries. For them its easier to do something, as they don't care about cost or established pathways. Their Dictator and Lord Emperor, passed a decree a year or so ago to stop all work currently underway on coal fired power generation and switch to renewable sources. And they did, kinda.

long story short they started work on replacement energy sources the next day and abandoned all unstarted projects relating to coal. However, some of the already started projects and some not already started have been restarted, by the local commissars because they are just to stupid to understand what no means and only look at their own job creation and budget (spend it or you wont get it again) issues.

This means that when all the power plants both renewable and non, go online there is going to be a massive glut of power available in China. This might sound like a good thing, as there will be power stations that never even get switched on but the thought is that many will be fired up anyway even though there is no need for them. Because they are Chinese and there bureaucracy is so hide bound they cant even control there own people.

However China is on a massive kick towards renawbles that the rest of the world could well end up envying.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings