Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Here’s what I think will play out.
Roosters will release Angus Crichton, and Suaallii either gos to rugby early or signs for another nrl club for a year, freeing up cash for Addin and we’ll get Naufahu Whyte and Terrell May in return.

That would be the best outcome for us imo.
The most crucial question needs to be asked as well, do they want to be in New Zealand? Because if there is any doubt, we don't want them.

As a marque player on marque money with a recently signed long term contract, I think we have a right to expect more to allow a release as its impact is way betond a non marque money. With the high salary comes higher consequences..

We shouldn’t stop him going, especially if it’s for family reasons but we should demand:

- we choose his club as we did for Walsh
- he doesn’t get a pay increase and matches his Warriors contract (same as Walsh)
- he doesn’t play against the Warriors for the term of his contract
- he reimburses (chips in) $200k from his future 2024/25/26 contract to compensate the inconvenience he’s caused us as a marque leaving at short notice and detrimentally impacting our long term planning. This would allow us to pay a premium for a replacement at unplanned short notice.

If it’s truely compassionate grounds this would be a good deal for AFB to buy out his contract. If it’s really only about what’s best AFB, we make sure we are fairly compensated and put in a position where we’re not disadvantaged.

BREAKING MADE UP NEWS

The Manly Sea Eagles and NZ Warriors have come to a player swap agreement, allowing AFB to return home to Manly to be closer to his parents, with NZ’er Tof Sipley returning to his roots at the Warriors on a 3 year deal.

And in a double announcement, with the Warriors now cashed up, and the North Queensland Cowboys needing to free up cap space to keep Dearden, the NZ Warriors have announced the signing of enforcer Jason Taumalolo on a 3 year deal.

It’s a win win for all parties, the cowboys up their offer to keep Dearden, JT looks to freshen up his game under coach Webster, and the NZ Warriors get wrecking ball JT at a discounted price with the Cowboys chipping in some of his salary.

NZ Warriors fans can now wipe away their tears as the window to premiership glory which slammed shut with the AFB news is now open once again.

Last edited:
When did he sign that million dollar deal?

What's the timing of signing that, then asking to leave knowing whoever takes him will carry on that contract money....

I can't see this being a tenable situation, I don't think any of us expect him to be close to his best at training or come game time with him only being able to see his Mum maybe once every couple of weeks, on top of whatever other reasons for him wanting out.

"But the Warriors are still hopeful of retaining Fonua-Blake - or getting a top-class forward in exchange."

We've been put into a shit situation, but with that quote, I hope Cappy, Webby, and CG aren't just talking to AFB, but also talking with the Cowboys, phones running hot/glued to ears and all.

Also like to think Webby is flicking some texts to Charnze and the Fish himself to try to talk him into wanting to come back to NZ- it doesn't seem like Webbys style to "screw over" Ivan, but we've got to benefit from that Panthers connection at some point

Positive news, people! :)

It is somewhat positive and certainly expected that the Warriors would fight and try to find a solution that fits both the club and AFB.

I am hoping that this is 80% of parents' well-being and 10% of desire to be back in Sydney because, from all accounts, AFB was loving life in Auckland.

If this is true then the best-case scenario is that we see AFB continue with the club for the next 12 months while work is done to find a solution. The Warriors need a like-for-like replacement like they did with Walsh and CNK, it is the best outcome for all parties involved.

I don't see how AFB underperforms if the above is true and the club finds a good solution to provide support for his parents by granting AFB time in Sydney on trips across and other periods.

The 12-month window is the perfect chance for the club to put in some stipulations that AFB can only negotiate with certain Sydney clubs where we can benefit from a swap scenario of equivalent status.

The AFB situation sucks but there’s a lot of positives that can come from this, and the club can get pretty creative with how they deal with this. It’s been mentioned endless amounts of time that a contract isn’t worth shit anymore (and who can blame anyone for thinking that). But it’s not really true, it’s STILL a contract.

Firstly, I’d actually rather he go to a Roosters, South’s, Penrith. Why? They’re already strong teams that are bound to be competitive next year. If AFB leaving is so detrimental to us, those top teams being even stronger doesn’t actually make that much difference. As opposed to giving him to the dragons, dogs and tigers and making them stronger.

However, I’d also use him to prey on the those weaker/mid teams in player swaps. There’s a million different scenarios……..
E.g; Hey Knights, we give you AFB you give us Leo Thompson and you pay his salary. Now they can’t afford the other Saifiti brother, who’s our actual target. We get 2 players.

Or we go to the cowboys, you got salary cap pressure? Cool, we’ll take Griffin or Jason.

I could go on and on and on.

Last edited:
Back