General General Warriors News

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
Perth, Australia
Didn't this happen to South Sydney years ago? And Not long after the club folded. And the Warriors were brought in from Superleage?
And the Canberra Huawei thing I kind of get. Huawei is a manufacturer of phones and Vodafone a service provider.

Someone with more knowledge than me about both issues might be able to clear this up.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Didn't this happen to South Sydney years ago? And Not long after the club folded. And the Warriors were brought in from Superleage?
And the Canberra Huawei thing I kind of get. Huawei is a manufacturer of phones and Vodafone a service provider.

Someone with more knowledge than me about both issues might be able to clear this up.

The South Sydney thing was way, way more political than this - I think several Sydney clubs had a hand in helping the NRL to decide that the Pride Of The League's time was done. Except the courts ruled otherwise.

I think we all need to get out of thinking "it's Vodafone New Zealand, why would Telstra care?" It's Vodafone in a competition largely funded by Telstra. That's all that matters, here.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I suspect this has something to do with TPG buying out Vodafone here in Aus. It will make them a much more formidable company in the eyes of Telstra which is taking a beating due to the NBN debarcle here. i forget the details but TPG who i know already purchased IInet, have a massive war chest for ads etc

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
I suspect this has something to do with TPG buying out Vodafone here in Aus. It will make them a much more formidable company in the eyes of Telstra which is taking a beating due to the NBN debarcle here. i forget the details but TPG who i know already purchased IInet, have a massive war chest for ads etc
The TPG and Voda merger is a lot to do with the 5g war that is commencing, so they can get closer to the size of Telstra and Optus and compete. The lengths these companies go to spite eachother on the smallest scale, as someone in the industry it's very amusing.

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
The TPG and Voda merger is a lot to do with the 5g war that is commencing, so they can get closer to the size of Telstra and Optus and compete. The lengths these companies go to spite eachother on the smallest scale, as someone in the industry it's very amusing.
only i thought it was a total buyout not a merger

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
So what happens if Sky sports take over as the main jersey sponsor....when they start selling broadband in NZ soon? Are Telstra going to pack a sad over that and force us to give them up as well??

im surprised they haven’t told us to ditch Wendy’s, even though i don’t think Aussie has a Wendys as KFC is a another major sponsor of the NRL

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
So what happens if Sky sports take over as the main jersey sponsor....when they start selling broadband in NZ soon? Are Telstra going to pack a sad over that and force us to give them up as well??

im surprised they haven’t told us to ditch Wendy’s, even though i don’t think Aussie has a Wendys as KFC is a another major sponsor of the NRL
McDonalds sponsor the Knights. I think there might be one or two of those in Aus.

kabkram

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 21, 2015
Well I for one wont miss be called "The Mighty Vodaphone Warriors " irked be no end, cant recall ever hearing another team called like that, the Steggle Roosters, the Oak Panthers, the Huawei Raiders? No, no and no.
Being told we must dump our major sponsor of 22yrs on the other hand just reeks, almost makes be glad I've only just recently changed from Telstra to Vodafone.

kabkram

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 21, 2015
Just as an aside does any one know if Vodafone Australia chipped in any dosh or was it solely a Vodafone NZ deal?

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
This feels like it was a PR stunt from the start to make them look good. As they would have known what sort of backlash there was going to be.

Attachments

• 49704f6.png
    49704f6.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Tragic

gREVUS

Contributor
May 8, 2012
This feels like it was a PR stunt from the start to make them look good. As they would have known what sort of backlash there was going to be.
maybe they think that the warriors will not be based in Aus next year now. Or they think the lawyers were about to get a massive payday

Reactions: Rizzah

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings