General General Superleague News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harlz

Harlz

Is Shaun a good coach or were St Helens that shit? Wigan were outstanding losing side. I may have said some bad comments about the coach earlier on but the discipline Wigan maintained to be in the match with 12 men spoke volumes on how dedicated these Warriors are.

JimmyJ

JimmyJ

I kinda miss "the Huntly Hurricane" Lance Hohaia

The Warriors should get him back

Lance+Hohaia+Marissa+Witzell+ZDzDFEfMTumm.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GazrethW

Is Shaun a good coach or were St Helens that shit? Wigan were outstanding losing side. I may have said some bad comments about the coach earlier on but the discipline Wigan maintained to be in the match with 12 men spoke volumes on how dedicated these Warriors are.
It's obviously a little hard to tell whilst he's only coached one club how much of it is down to him. But I think most Wigan fans would tell you he's the best coach in the league. Saints weren't great as they had none of their real playmakers but the fact that Wigan were able to create overlaps and chances so often with 12 men shows how well drilled that attack is and at their best they almost can't be stopped by anyone in England. Really a couple of better decisions at key moments in attack and it probably leads to a comfortable Wigan win. How easy the defence found it for most of the game I can't see how a Wigan with 13 lose that game.

Reactions: 2 users
RidingPie

RidingPie

So, although its being bandied as a six month suspension, its effectively going to be 3 months as I don't think he'd have made it in to the England squad (OK I'm not counting a few friendlies in their either). Ends up being 11 matches I think.

It's probably about what I was expecting to be fair, might even be a touch lite.

Reactions: 1 users
RidingPie

RidingPie

It's obviously a little hard to tell whilst he's only coached one club how much of it is down to him. But I think most Wigan fans would tell you he's the best coach in the league. Saints weren't great as they had none of their real playmakers but the fact that Wigan were able to create overlaps and chances so often with 12 men shows how well drilled that attack is and at their best they almost can't be stopped by anyone in England. Really a couple of better decisions at key moments in attack and it probably leads to a comfortable Wigan win. How easy the defence found it for most of the game I can't see how a Wigan with 13 lose that game.

I'd say most of the way Wigan play now is down to him. Someone mentioned that since the GF Maguire coached us to we only had two remaining players (O'Loughlin and McIlorum, and if you're really fussy 3 including Joel Tomkins, but since he's only just returned that would be a bit pushing it).

Wane cut out much of the wrestling Maguire introduced, kept and adapted the attacking structures. If there is a complaint against him, which in light of recent events would be pertinent, he can easily be accused of upping the aggression. That said he has shown in the past he learns his lessons pretty well, hopefully he will here as well.

Reactions: 1 user
RidingPie

RidingPie

Saints have released a statement which I think is very good

Chairman Eamonn McManus stated:

"These matters have to be dealt with by the appropriate body within the game and it has so been.

"Whilst serving his ban it is critical that Ben is now provided all due personal and professional support. His rehabilitation is now paramount. During the period of his ban he will be no more than a 25-year-old boy who will be extremely vulnerable emotionally. We must assist him in any way that we can and accept him back into the sport. There is a person behind the player, and I am reliably informed by all that it is a good one. He must know that from all. Lance Hohaia certainly feels that way towards him also.

"The sport of Rugby League should not be judged by this event, but by how it deals with it.

"Ian Lenagan is a strong Chairman of a great club and I know that he will look beyond mere effect and more at cause. If anything is identified and needs to be dealt with then he will. St Helens stand firmly at the side of Wigan at this time.

"Separately, the RFL will take its duties and obligations extremely seriously. Again, we must look beyond the offence itself and identify and deal with any surrounding contributory factors. Certainly, the officiating and disciplinary structures, systems and processes need to be scrutinised, and quickly. Most agree that there has been an increasing lack of consistency in the interpretation and application of the rules of the game, and in its disciplinary sanctions when such rules are deemed to have been broken.

"Real and rapid introspection is critical and trust needs to be unequivocal. Coaches and players must have much more clarity and consistency in the application of the rules and in their sanctions so as not to tempt participants to exploit unclear boundaries nor to risk the unpredictability of sanctions.

"This matter gives the sport of Rugby League the opportunity to positively differentiate itself yet again by dealing with a high profile problem in an efficient, transparent, pragmatic and effective manner. I am confident that it will."

see here for the full text

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/4398

Reactions: 3 users

GazrethW

I'd say most of the way Wigan play now is down to him. Someone mentioned that since the GF Maguire coached us to we only had two remaining players (O'Loughlin and McIlorum, and if you're really fussy 3 including Joel Tomkins, but since he's only just returned that would be a bit pushing it).

Wane cut out much of the wrestling Maguire introduced, kept and adapted the attacking structures. If there is a complaint against him, which in light of recent events would be pertinent, he can easily be accused of upping the aggression. That said he has shown in the past he learns his lessons pretty well, hopefully he will here as well.
Yeah he definitely made it more of a priority to try and play entertaining rugby and spread the ball as much as possible. I think sometimes they take that a bit too far and almost cut the props out of the game completely but when they really turn it on the opposition don't know how to deal with it.

Yeah you're right that was a really classy statement from McManus and you'd think everyone would accept the suspension and move on but I have a feeling opposition fans are going to make his life he'll for the near future. I did laugh at the six months though because it's clearly just so they can have big headlines about taking a hard line for what is actually a much smaller punishment. Just a shame he's going to miss Good Friday because that would've been interesting....

snake77

snake77

Listening to the Radio this morning on the way in to work one of the union commentators (Ian Smith) and a bit of a league hater was all it's a grade F and it's six months what do you have to do get worse than that. I'm guessing like most grades that's where it starts 6 month minimum and work up.

On the 6 month ban instead of a specific x amount of games It sound big and hefty for the media. It will be funny on this side of the world if our media are critical of it as our union suspensions are usually x amount of weeks and there are often 3 week bans where the player only misses 1 week because the way their season is laid out.

GazrethW

Listening to the Radio this morning on the way in to work one of the union commentators (Ian Smith) and a bit of a league hater was all it's a grade F and it's six months what do you have to do get worse than that. I'm guessing like most grades that's where it starts 6 month minimum and work up.

On the 6 month ban instead of a specific x amount of games It sound big and hefty for the media. It will be funny on this side of the world if our media are critical of it as our union suspensions are usually x amount of weeks and there are often 3 week bans where the player only misses 1 week because the way their season is laid out.
They could look at Duncan McRae hitting Ronan O'Gara 11 times on the ground playing for NSW against the Lions and breaking his cheekbone. He only got 7 weeks for it and apparently they were all in the off season.

snake77

snake77

They will forget about that one as League is the thugs game and the issue at the moment is violence in League.

A real shame as the League coverage in our sports news is bare minimum nowadays and we don't get much on the Super League. Of course due to this we get some coverage but nothing of the game itself.

RidingPie

RidingPie

yeah and Lance got one game suspension ! wtf !

He elbowed flower to the back of the head directly before the punches.

Was probably worthy of one match. Admittedly Flower pushed him a few
moments earlier. From a wigan perspective I wish the ref had dealt with it then! Still it was pretty much handbags at dawn at that point.

RidingPie

RidingPie

That was a sky documentary (of their match with the roosters at the start of the year).

In slight defence I'd point out that it was edited, so it could have been pretty heavily cherry picked, and also wigan didn't knock anyone out in that match.

GazrethW

That was a sky documentary (of their match with the roosters at the start of the year).

In slight defence I'd point out that it was edited, so it could have been pretty heavily cherry picked, and also wigan didn't knock anyone out in that match.
And it would take a particularly low IQ to interpret that as him actually wanting his players to do what Flower did. It's just the kind of rhetoric that coaches use, considering the fact that no other Wigan player has done anything like this it's safe to say that they understand he simply means to be aggressive (legally) and put their bodies on the line.

• Haha
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
So, although its being bandied as a six month suspension, its effectively going to be 3 months as I don't think he'd have made it in to the England squad (OK I'm not counting a few friendlies in their either). Ends up being 11 matches I think.

It's probably about what I was expecting to be fair, might even be a touch lite.
From all the reports Im reading it would seem that the 6 month ban includes only 8 games. Probably on the lenient side as far as punishments go but you also have arguably the biggest mitigating factor you could ever have game wise and thats the fact that he single-handedly lost his team the Grand Final.

Anyway, happy to build a bridge and get over it. My only bone of contention now is that Mike Morgan wasnt commentating the game lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.