Internationals General Kiwis News

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
The size of Polynesian children is absolutely an issue with young kids starting up. Some of the white children are literally half the size of Polynesian kids at age 5. While it may be seen as soft I don't blame parents of much smaller children wanting to protect them from being trampled. It does even up as they get older but by and large the Poly kids are bigger, heavier and more aggressive than the rest.

Weight restricted leagues do exist but for some reason there are hardly any teams registered for them. Some groups can have only 5 teams in them meaning teams can play each other 3 times in a season. The same open age group might have 18 teams playing in it.

My only suggestion would be for the NZRL to make all groups weight restricted.

Its a pity cause we basically miss out on a huge demographic because of the current structure...

Reaction score
Akkerz

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yeah we played in restricted grade. Just as well as some of those boys in open were huge & sure gave us the shits,

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The size of Polynesian children is absolutely an issue with young kids starting up. Some of the white children are literally half the size of Polynesian kids at age 5. While it may be seen as soft I don't blame parents of much smaller children wanting to protect them from being trampled. It does even up as they get older but by and large the Poly kids are bigger, heavier and more aggressive than the rest.

Weight restricted leagues do exist but for some reason there are hardly any teams registered for them. Some groups can have only 5 teams in them meaning teams can play each other 3 times in a season. The same open age group might have 18 teams playing in it.

Its a pity cause we basically miss out on a huge demographic because of the current structure...
The problem for players playing in weight restricted teams is noone is going to take a look at the player when they get to the verge of senior competition. If you arent competing physically with the big boys at school then scouts arent going to be looking at those lower grades.
2nd 15 rugby comps dont get mentioned but national 1st 15s are seen as the nursery for rugby talent.
Those players will therefore have to stand out in senior teams.. good luck with that

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Who knows what we will get in this game.

If the Kiwis show up for 80 they'll take it. If Tonga get a sniff they'll be hard to contain.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Who knows what we will get in this game.

If the Kiwis show up for 80 they'll take it. If Tonga get a sniff they'll be hard to contain.
You are dreamjng. Kata inside Fus?? This is Kiwis all the way.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Kiwis rolling them in the forwards. Just watch for the spine to explode in the second half.

Reaction score
blue bells

blue bells

Whats Buzzin Cuzzin?
Contributor
Reaction score
Lmao rock paper scissors to see whos try lol love it!

Reaction score
Viking

Viking

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

There is an issue when a team of Polynesian kids plays against a team of small white kids. At 5, the tackles from kids of all races are little more than cuddles so the fear is more in the parents minds than in reality. I was at the U10s gala day a few weeks ago and most of the central teams, with a good balance of size, speed and skill, and a fair number of white kids, beat all the South side teams they played. Puberty will give Polynesian kids another head start but by then, school rugby has snapped them all up anyway.

One of the key gripes that I and many other coaches have is the lack of grading in junior league. Every other sport grades to avoid the mismatches we see in junior league. I see bad mismatches between teams that both comprised entirely of Polynesian players. The Polynesian players in the teams that get thrashed, will leave the sport well before they get a chance to catch up with the better teams. If they were graded, they'd get a chance to develop at a normal pace. It works well in Australia.

Weight restricted grades work well for junior rugby but they also combine it with grading so that it's not only teams of similar size that play each other but also teams of similar ability.

Top Bottom