General Gay Marriage Rights

Should gay people have the right to marriage?

• Yes

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Dont Know / Dont Care

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

The Cheap Seats

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2015
Any news on Israel Folau? Where's he gonna be in 2018?
Anywhere but here thanks. Anyone that publicly denounces gay marriage is not an ambassador for my club.
I would like players and spokespeople that unite our community and empower our youth, not marginalise them.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Only way I can see Folau coming would be a "Tomkins" situation where he was a swap for RTS(rumours of him wanting out). Can't see where both would fit at the club.
Gay marriage stance is a tricky one- everyone is entitled to opinion, he didn't exactly announce it he was asked his stance, not saying his view is the right one (and not wanting to derail the thread ) but he stood by his religious convictions when it was the less popular option to do so.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Only way I can see Folau coming would be a "Tomkins" situation where he was a swap for RTS(rumours of him wanting out). Can't see where both would fit at the club.
Gay marriage stance is a tricky one- everyone is entitled to opinion, he didn't exactly announce it he was asked his stance, not saying his view is the right one (and not wanting to derail the thread ) but he stood by his religious convictions when it was the less popular option to do so.
He stated his view respectfully and was not Homophobic in any sense. That is his right. Personally I think Heterosexuals damage the sanctity of Marriage more.

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 26, 2014
[QUdidn't pThe Cheap Seats, post: 683971, member: 4409"]Anywhere but here thanks. Anyone that publicly denounces gay marriage is not an ambassador for my club.
I would like players and spokespeople that unite our community and empower our youth, not marginalise them.[/QUOTE]
He didnt say anything bad , He said people can do what they want
but he's not for it personally,
it's called having a set off standards, Regardless of how
any of us feel We shouldn't be forcing others to accept our
particular set of views , Debate the hell out of it for sure
change a mind through reason an common sense ,, But we
shouldn't be intimidating people, harassing them , Blacklisting
people , For nothing more than having a set of beliefs an values
that differ from yours ,or mine ,
to be fair I have only seen one interview where he
talked about this But he was careful not to offend ,
Which all we can hope for from any of us ,

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
Anywhere but here thanks. Anyone that publicly denounces gay marriage is not an ambassador for my club.
I would like players and spokespeople that unite our community and empower our youth, not marginalise them.
I always struggle with comments like this, Folau offered his honest opinion on something quite polarising, he did it respectfully and honestly. It always makes me feel that the person commenting on the comment claims to be for freedom of speech and equality, as long as the opinion agrees with their opinion, if it doesn't the other person should STFU and is some kind of pariah. As there is a large number of Polynesian/Christian boys associated with the Warriors since day one I'd guess there would be quite a few past and present that would agree with Folau.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Anyone that publicly denounces gay marriage is not an ambassador for my club.
Denouncing gay marriage and being homophobic is not necessarily the same thing. Folau is definitely not homophobic. His opinion was on gay marriage. Personally I think marriage is only useful for providing some security for children and doesn't seem that good at that either. I am definitely pro gay rights but if somebody asked me about gay marriage I couldn't give a shite either way

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Denouncing gay marriage and being homophobic is not necessarily the same thing. Folau is definitely not homophobic. His opinion was on gay marriage. Personally I think marriage is only useful for providing some security for children and doesn't seem that good at that either. I am definitely pro gay rights but if somebody asked me about gay marriage I couldn't give a shite either way
How can you deny gay and lesbian couples the same right to be as shit miserable as their heterosexual/cisgender counterparts?
Israel Folou might feel a bit different about being anti-gay marriage if he had a chat with Garry Jack, who'd tell him that he really, really shouldn't piss Ian Roberts off.

Well, however you feel about the players we've signed so far, you can't say we've redone a 2012 where we only got Nathan Friend...

francis faafua

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 30, 2016
Brisbane
fk..the guy is entitled to his opinion...there are more important issues in this world how the fk is it gonna unite the community ??? FFS

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
How can you deny gay and lesbian couples the same right to be as shit miserable as their heterosexual/cisgender counterparts?
I said I couldn't give a shite either way, if they want to get married let them do it. It doesn't compare with what used to go on years ago with gay people.

tajhay

Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
All posts about Folau's stance against Gay Marriage has been moved here.

This is a widely debated topic right now in Aus so have your say. Do YOU agree or oppose gays to have marriage rights?

All votes are anonymous.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
Don't care personally, christian wedding, civil union, de facto, what ever turns you on. A persons sexuality is something that making or changing a law will not change. Hell if they want to spend a heap of cash to get a few photos, a piece of paper and 4 toasters, fill ya boots. As it's been pointed out by others they have just as much right to be as miserable as anyone.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
All posts about Folau's stance against Gay Marriage has been moved here.

This is a widely debated topic right now in Aus so have your say. Do YOU agree or oppose gays to have marriage rights?

All votes are anonymous.
Seeing that you put it like that I guess I am pro the marriage thing because they are discriminated against if they cannot.

To be honest though I cannot see the need for gay people to get married. I don't see the need for anybody to get married. I still cringe at the waste of money of my wedding, just for some woman to get dressed up and be the centre of attention for a day, but I guess I am biased, some of you guys might like big weddings and for your missus to be queen for a day.

It is a bit like gender discrimination, what started out as a campaign for some balance in society ended up making all men feel ashamed for having a dick. Just saying like.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Seeing that you put it like that I guess I am pro the marriage thing because they are discriminated against if they cannot.

To be honest though I cannot see the need for gay people to get married. I don't see the need for anybody to get married. I still cringe at the waste of money of my wedding, just for some woman to get dressed up and be the centre of attention for a day, but I guess I am biased, some of you guys might like big weddings and for your missus to be queen for a day.

It is a bit like gender discrimination, what started out as a campaign for some balance in society ended up making all men feel ashamed for having a dick. Just saying like.
So ur against all marriage? Equally? Happy to give up your rights and protections under the legal definition of marriage? Prepared to let your partners family have all say on your partners health, wealth and on going care if something happens to them?

Equality is such a simple thing. Either everyone is equal, or they arent. But once you decide to make divisions what gives you the right to decide where others can stop? Blacks better than whites, why not. Women supperior to men, ok. Jobs go to irish descendents first, sounds good.

All are equal, or all are not.

Reactions: tajhay

tajhay

Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Id love to hear peoples views who are against it. Is it purely religious reasons? I cant fathom how in 2017 we can dictate who can and cant get married based on their sexual preference. Its a sad indictment on society that we want to deny those same basic rights to others that the majority have.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
it really doesn't really effect me either way and seeing as I'm not a citizen and able to vote I've kinda just stayed out of the whole thing.

In saying that I do have friends which it effects and I feel for them (one is a weird one where they were same sex married in another country before immigrating and their Marriage is not recognised).
On the other side it is not my country and I don't feel it's my place to say how it is run so if the majority don't want it then I have to respect that.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
So ur against all marriage? Equally? Happy to give up your rights and protections under the legal definition of marriage? Prepared to let your partners family have all say on your partners health, wealth and on going care if something happens to them?

Equality is such a simple thing. Either everyone is equal, or they arent. But once you decide to make divisions what gives you the right to decide where others can stop? Blacks better than whites, why not. Women supperior to men, ok. Jobs go to irish descendents first, sounds good.

All are equal, or all are not.

I'm not against marriage, I just don't hold it in very much regard. My own experience with it is, married in my early 20's and the whole thing blown apart within a couple of years, now a long term de facto relationship that has lasted over 20 years that has 2 kids and merrily going along. That said if two people want to get married then good luck to them. You want to know whats really weird, you can live with, have sex with and share your life with as many people as you want as long as you all agree and that's fine. You can marry one and then cheat on them with as many people as you want and that's not illegal, you can marry one but still live as a group and that's fine, but the minute you decide that you want to commit to all your partners and marry them that's illegal and you can go to jail. Laws and morals in general are just fucked up.

As for Aussie, that will be interesting because there is no doubt Australia continues to be one of the most racist, bigoted, redneck countries in the world. So I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing gets shouted down and it takes Aussie another 20 plus years to move into the 21st century.

Reactions: gREVUS

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
So ur against all marriage?
I see marriage as protection for children. The rest can all be done by wills and written agreements.

Many people are de facto partners these days. I think the current governor general and her longstanding partner got married just for appearance sake before she was sworn in. What is the point of that?

Like I said though, I am biased from experience about marriage, not gay marriage. If they want to get married they can.

Reactions: surfin

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
As for Aussie, that will be interesting because there is no doubt Australia continues to be one of the most racist, bigoted, redneck countries in the world. So I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing gets shouted down and it takes Aussie another 20 plus years to move into the 21st century.
It really shows the difference between two countries that are supposed to be alike.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
It really shows the difference between two countries that are supposed to be alike.
Fact is if Aunty Helen didn't just push the whole thing through while she had a majority in Parliament we would still be in the same boat. People are all lah dee dah with it now but I remember the mayhem at the time. Had it gone to a vote the bill would have been repealed...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Upcoming Match

Canberra Raiders GIO Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

20 Sep

5.7 Total Avg Rating
5.4 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 7 ratings