Social What are you reading?

I go through stages with books- just depends on life and how much free time I have.
Last one I read was the inner game of tennis which I loved so much that I brought the inner game of music the other day.
Favorite book is probably the road less Travelled by Scott peck.
I like autobiography’s too-
Favorite one was Arnold schwarzenegger- already mentioned here but his life has been unbelievable and he’s basically manifested the whole thing.
Music autobiography- scar tissue- already mentioned- I don’t like kiedis but his life has been wild.
Sports autobiography- brad filter- people think he was some preppy kid but he grew up in western Sydney and his old man was a hells angel.

Stephen King and Michael Creighton are my favorite Authors.

Sadly Michael Creighton died young.
you've got to like stephen king. I've just today finished The Outsider which I somehow missed when it came out. I much prefer that kind of his novels to the Gunslinger/Dark Tower stuff.
He got me suspended from work once. I used to work for a plant hire firm driving a digger. In those pre health and safety/employee insurance days the driver was supposed to muck in with anything he could help with if there was no actual digging to be done.
The Stand had just come out and I had a copy with me. Every time I could it was out with the bloody book, I just couldn't put it down. The gang I was on hire to got so fed up of seeing me there reading they complained to my boss and told him to send someone else.

Years ago I picked up a second hand copy of an autobiography of actor David Niven titled The Moon’s a Balloon. Hugely funny stories in it from a bloke who, if you aren’t familiar with him, usually played the slightly debonair posh bloke and played the explosives expert in Guns of Naverone

Anyhow, included in this is a tale about his time as a junior army officer attending a formal regimental dinner. He’d had a few drinks and made the mistake of not going for a piss. Once they were sat at the table it was considered bad form old chap to take a leave of absence from the table. Realising his discomfort one of the army waiters gave him a jug which he slipped under the table and proceeded to piss into it whilst munching nonchalantly on a water biscuit. Whilst this was going on his commanding officer was explaining very loudly that he had…’f*****d women of many nationalities and some animals, but the one thing he couldn’t stand was a woman with a Glasgow accent’

When the movie Moneyball came out and there was a lot of interest on signing players using "moneyball" across various sports I decided to get the book.

It's a good read on how the A's went about changing them team or methods for signing players. From memory it mixed in the A's signings and how it went on the field, coaches having issues with it. Then chapters on the actual methodology.

If your not into stats or mathematical equations some of the chapters can be a bit of a slog.

you've got to like stephen king. I've just today finished The Outsider which I somehow missed when it came out. I much prefer that kind of his novels to the Gunslinger/Dark Tower stuff.
He got me suspended from work once. I used to work for a plant hire firm driving a digger. In those pre health and safety/employee insurance days the driver was supposed to muck in with anything he could help with if there was no actual digging to be done.
The Stand had just come out and I had a copy with me. Every time I could it was out with the bloody book, I just couldn't put it down. The gang I was on hire to got so fed up of seeing me there reading they complained to my boss and told him to send someone else.

Reminded me of when our work first went Electronic, no more written notes, everything computerized.
It was a quiet Saturday, I was asked the crew if anyone had a copy of the Stand at home I could borrow.
A mate who was interweb savvy said they could print the Stand of the web for free and all I would have to do is hole punch and keep it in a Ring binder for free.

Anywho....the flash new printer was highly confusing and the settings ended up being set wrong, printing only on one side and with double spacing,.

To our horror we realized we could not work out how to cancel the job....pressiing 'cancel' did nothing, killing the power at the wall did noting, pressing reset did nothing.....so the stand emptied the Printer of paper, so we had to keep reloading it.

I forget how many pages it printed in the end but we almost wiped out the entire printing paper supply of the work site, several thousand sheets of paper will do that.....

Reminded me of when our work first went Electronic, no more written notes, everything computerized.
It was a quiet Saturday, I was asked the crew if anyone had a copy of the Stand at home I could borrow.
A mate who was interweb savvy said they could print the Stand of the web for free and all I would have to do is hole punch and keep it in a Ring binder for free.

Anywho....the flash new printer was highly confusing and the settings ended up being set wrong, printing only on one side and with double spacing,.

To our horror we realized we could not work out how to cancel the job....pressiing 'cancel' did nothing, killing the power at the wall did noting, pressing reset did nothing.....so the stand emptied the Printer of paper, so we had to keep reloading it.

I forget how many pages it printed in the end but we almost wiped out the entire printing paper supply of the work site, several thousand sheets of paper will do that.....
😂😂😂 yeah I’ve been there…. Especially embarrassing when you’re printing something u shouldn’t…
Rage against the machine never specified what type of machine they were furious with but I’m pretty sure it was a printer…

At my first job us young guys digitized the work that would come into our department. All of the old ladies that were used to filling out paper would do the electronic form then walk across the office to put the paper in the box. That was the plan for the first week as we bedded it in. It got to the point they'd keep doing it even though when they come across we'd already have started the work.

On printing large amount of pages. Another part of that role was printing reports on industrial sized printers both as the data was processing for someone to review and reports for customers. The reports for customers soon died off. The reports that needed to get audited during the data processing stages would often get mis-coded and end up 100s - 1000s of pages. To the point we couldn't get the rubber bands around them. Glad it wasn't my job to check those things.

It was amazing though seeing a huge room dedicated to large printers get smaller and smaller.

Then I moved into IT and we'd get annoyed for 50 page reports one sided and in colour.

I remember the CEO walking through one department and asking about all of the paper in this department. My response was if the building burnt down this side would go down first.

Stephen King and Michael Creighton are my favorite Authors.

Sadly Michael Creighton died young.
Recently finished ‘Fairy Tale which was a little different to his usual, also gonna start ‘Holly’ soon it’s refreshing to see King dabble with a few more genres of late, his crime genre stuff is very good.
A nice easy read I’ll get religiously each year is the next Lee Child (well now Andrew Child) Reacher novel. Not world changing by any means but a solid consistent entertaining read

😂😂😂 yeah I’ve been there…. Especially embarrassing when you’re printing something u shouldn’t…
Rage against the machine never specified what type of machine they were furious with but I’m pretty sure it was a printer…
I still remember looking like a prat when I had to use an upright hand trolley to wheel my 'book' to the carpark in large cardboard boxes.

Recently finished ‘Fairy Tale which was a little different to his usual, also gonna start ‘Holly’ soon it’s refreshing to see King dabble with a few more genres of late, his crime genre stuff is very good.
A nice easy read I’ll get religiously each year is the next Lee Child (well now Andrew Child) Reacher novel. Not world changing by any means but a solid consistent entertaining read
After watching the Amazon Reacher show I was thinking they would be an interesting read.

At my first job us young guys digitized the work that would come into our department. All of the old ladies that were used to filling out paper would do the electronic form then walk across the office to put the paper in the box. That was the plan for the first week as we bedded it in. It got to the point they'd keep doing it even though when they come across we'd already have started the work.

On printing large amount of pages. Another part of that role was printing reports on industrial sized printers both as the data was processing for someone to review and reports for customers. The reports for customers soon died off. The reports that needed to get audited during the data processing stages would often get mis-coded and end up 100s - 1000s of pages. To the point we couldn't get the rubber bands around them. Glad it wasn't my job to check those things.

It was amazing though seeing a huge room dedicated to large printers get smaller and smaller.

Then I moved into IT and we'd get annoyed for 50 page reports one sided and in colour.

I remember the CEO walking through one department and asking about all of the paper in this department. My response was if the building burnt down this side would go down first.
paperless office my arse

A nice easy read I’ll get religiously each year is the next Lee Child (well now Andrew Child) Reacher novel. Not world changing by any means but a solid consistent entertaining reaI also just read
To me, Fairy Tale harks back to his Peter Straub collaboration, The Talisman. Which, if you haven't read, is well worth a few hours of escape.
I just finished Holly - read it in little time - loved it; which is how I realised I'd missed The Outsider - I think there are a couple of books in which Holly has a less prominent role ( Finders Keepers for one ).

After watching the Amazon Reacher show I was thinking they would be an interesting read.
I've realised I can be a bit of a literary snob. So, for ages I'd go in bookshops and see shelves full of Lee Child books and think, if every T, D and H likes 'em I probably won't ( more of an observation about my taste than the millions who know what they like ). Anyway, once I read one I had to read them all. Unfortunately, I think the recent collabs with his brother aren't up to the very high standard he once set. But, if you've never read any, I envy you - you're in for a treat.

If you liked Outsider it’s loosely a sequel to the ‘Finders keepers’ trilogy which is also a good read, along with his newest book ‘Holly’ which continues on with the character.
Sadly like the majority of kings works they don’t translate to the tv adaptations that well
To me, Fairy Tale harks back to his Peter Straub collaboration, The Talisman. Which, if you haven't read, is well worth a few hours of escape.
I just finished Holly - read it in little time - loved it; which is how I realised I'd missed The Outsider - I think there are a couple of books in which Holly has a less prominent role ( Finders Keepers for one ).
Yeah there’s the 3 in the ‘Finders keepers’ trilogy. Starts off as minor character that becomes more prominent

I've realised I can be a bit of a literary snob. So, for ages I'd go in bookshops and see shelves full of Lee Child books and think, if every T, D and H likes 'em I probably won't ( more of an observation about my taste than the millions who know what they like ). Anyway, once I read one I had to read them all. Unfortunately, I think the recent collabs with his brother aren't up to the very high standard he once set. But, if you've never read any, I envy you - you're in for a treat.
If I do read them I'll aim to start from the first book unless that is the one the first season is based off than I might start from the second.

That is a good point on the change of author. One of the appeals I have with the Star Wars books I'm reading is the character Thrawn who is intelligent. The author Timothy Zahn writes him well. They have him in live action now.

The quote I've seen about the show is it's like a dumb person tried to write for a smart character.

Back