General Gallop Steps Down As League Chief Exec

• Thread starter NRL RSS NRL Feed
  • Start date
Reaction score

NRL RSS NRL Feed

slide.jpg

David Gallop is stepping down from his job as chief executive of the Australian Rugby League Commission immediately.

Continue reading...

NRL club bosses have reacted with shock and surprise to the sudden resignation of the game's longtime chief executive David Gallop.

Four months into a four-year deal with the Australian Rugby League Commission, formed in February to take over running the code, Gallop departed by what was described as "mutual agreement" on Tuesday.
Gallop enjoyed strong support of the clubs throughout his 10-year reign as NRL chief executive and the news he was stepping down from his high-profile role blindsided many of his fellow administrators.
Gallop was gracious in his parting words in a joint statement with ARLC chairman John Grant.
"It's been a privilege for me to lead the game over the last 10 years and see the game's resurgence," Gallop said.

"I love the game and wish it well. I would like to thank the clubs, the players, my staff and the fans of the game. It has been an exhilarating and challenging period, but no one can do this job forever."
Grant said Gallop understood the need for a fresh approach under the new ARLC administration.
"Taking this into account and with the interests of the game at heart, the board and David have reached an agreement that the game needs a different style of leadership detached from the past for the next stage of its development," Grant said.

Grant added the search for a new CEO would begin immediately with NRL general manager of strategy Shane Mattiske to take over the leadership in the interim.
Sydney Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce was taken aback at the news.
"I was shocked to be honest," Noyce told AAP.
"I was genuinely shocked and I think most people in the game are.
"I was one of David Gallop's biggest fans. It is a really, really tough gig and I think even his biggest detractors will admit he gave it 100 per cent.

"When you look at everything he had to deal with, he did his job in a decent, honest and transparent manner. He is a wonderful administrator and leaves our great game in a very healthy state."
Sharks chairman Damian Irvine said Gallop had left rugby league better than when he began in 2002.

"When David took over we had a great game that was under duress, now we have a great game that is no longer under that duress," Irvine said.

"It is surprising news. I think it is a good thing that it has not been played out in the media and dealt with in a very professional manner."

Raiders chief executive Don Furner travelled to Wagga Wagga with Gallop last week on a development trip and said Gallop gave no indication that he was considering stepping aside.

"I am taken aback by it all," Furner said.

"I spent some time with him last week and definitely didn't see this coming.
"David did such a tough job so well. I don't think until you are close to it anyone can understand just how tough a job it is. I thought he would have kept working on the TV deal so it does come as a shock."

"He led the game through some tough times when you think about the salary cap scandals.

"He did a great job in cleaning up the game's image. And I don't think anyone else in any other sport, in AFL or Super 15, would have taken the strong stance that he did on the salary cap scandal."
"He has been a great administrator for our game and I wish him all the best."

Reaction score
Numbnutsnz

Numbnutsnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Must be something juicy to come out of this one.

He wouldn't just step down all of a sudden otherwise I don't think.

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
Must be something juicy to come out of this one.

He wouldn't just step down all of a sudden otherwise I don't think.

Theory is that the board werent happy with his handling of the TV deal negotiations. Would have to have botched it fairly badly to be sacked midway through. Where to from here?

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Steve Price new CEO.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Warriors 5th Grader
Reaction score
I would love Pricey to oneday take the job, but in order to do that I think he needs to do an apprenticeship be it at the NRL or one of the clubs.

btw his daughter is representing NZ at secondary schools level, and they had a couple of wins over the aussies, and pricey was thrilled as a proud parent he should be.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
A hard job - imagine waking up every Monday morning having to face the media after a player has got into trouble over the weekend.

Thanks to Mr Gallop

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I'm in the one day camp, but it is not a job that comes up too often, however in NZs favour is he makes no secret of the fact he and the family love it here. Was he waiting for Jo to qualify as a teacher as well?

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
I would love Pricey to oneday take the job, but in order to do that I think he needs to do an apprenticeship be it at the NRL or one of the clubs.

btw his daughter is representing NZ at secondary schools level, and they had a couple of wins over the aussies, and pricey was thrilled as a proud parent he should be.

Yep - it will be someone from a corporate background who gets the gig. It's really a big business these days and you need someone with good managerial experience at the level of a large corporate.

As the NZRL has shown, so easy for boofhead former players to run it into the ground.

Price could get there eventually, but a fair way to go.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I really think Pricey loves the game to much to do a Former Manly coach at the NZRL job on it, but like you have said an actual background at a corporate level will probably decide it. Gallop was a lawyer wasn't he? Do you remember in the middle of one of the scandals some journo mentioned Pricey would one day like a go at the job, Gallop said something along the lines of good luck but he'll cop more hits doing it than playing prop.

Reaction score
Moz

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
fired for sure

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
"Mutual agreement" usually means fired but with an awesome payout.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Troubling news. Gallop Was well in charge of a stable time for the sport.

After the Super league War its a bit unsettling when a T.V. deal and fractious club factions within the League are linked to a CEO like Gallops shock exit.

The new direction they speak of un suited to Gallop doesn't make sense when the Game is enjoying previously unseen success.

The thing i liked about Gallop was the way he got stuck into the Storm and the dogs...while taking a pragmatic approach to the Warriors Salary cap breach.

The Warriors enjoyed a period Of partiality under Gallop.....nek minit

Reaction score
Lego_Man

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Reaction score
One of the comments that came out of the press conference from the Chairman was that Gallop's reign was reactive, but they are now looking for someone proactive to take them through the next phase. I'm guessing that means expanding the game, being smarter about TV deals, getting on the front foot when it comes to the image of the game etc.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
I find it hard to get a proper read on the situation. Everyone seems to give their opinion based on what Gallop did or didn't do to/for their club. Manly fans just see red over the Brett Stewart stuff, as do Dogs fans with the Coffs Harbour incident. Then there's the anti News ltd opinion(s)...

He always copped a bit of shit but from where I was sitting didn't seem to be doing a bad job. I've certainly seen other CEO's do worse, or perhaps they just handled their public image in a poorer fashion.

As for his replacement, seems to be a bit of support behind Greenberg? Personally I don't think looking outside the game for someone with the right level of experience would be a bad move...John O'Neill certainly gave soccer an overhaul in Aus without a background in the sport. Not that league needs an overhaul...

Reaction score
koolkat

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
lets wait.. and see im sorry too say that even tho rugby league has a great product.the addmin has always been its archiles heal i can see this T.V ship deal blowing up in they faces if they are not carefull.im sorry to see gallop galloping off into the sun set before one of the biggest T.V deals in years. has'int been propaly secured i just hope the game dose'nt suffer because its is in a great shape at the moment.(newis limted stayaway)

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
btw his daughter is representing NZ at secondary schools level, and they had a couple of wins over the aussie
in league? what position is she? prop? must be centre for my guess.

On the Gallop thing . . . . I wonder how much he got paid to leave, and now that he has left and that it was mutual he was just there for the transition and his job is done. For me its 'better the devil you know . . . . . ' the next boss might be a right tosser.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
In Gallops defence he was there to run the league side of the NRL not to defend and explain the behavior of guys like Brett Stewart, or Greg Bird. He can't stop a bloke too munted to know what he was doing or someone glassing his girlfriend.

Reaction score
charlie bobmarley

charlie bobmarley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think Bluey should apply.
His motivational skills could do wonders at NRL Head Office...

Reaction score
Danco

Danco

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
fired for sure
He had his time, lets hope they get someone decent with league knowledge not just business brains.

Reaction score
David James

David James

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Repect to Gallop for his time in charge, I was certainly shocked to hear this news last night.

He has seen over some troublesome times in this role, and I have always felt he has done a good job.

My feelings are that maybe the TV deal is not going as well as planned, and that with the new commission they are wanting more control, and wanting a more administrative CEO.

Top Bottom