vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Afternoon
12:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes the excitement of a big event can make your body basically forget it's injured.

Couple of years back I managed to get a horrible graze on my ankle about 2 days before the Auckland half marathon - hurt to buggery and could barely put weight on it. Come race day and managed to smash out 21km at record pace.

Obviously not quite the same as playing an NRL finals game but I can sort of see the logic. There'll be tests in place to establish whether the body is up to it.

Graze different to soft tissue injury.

Sometimes the excitement of a big event can make your body basically forget it's injured.

Couple of years back I managed to get a horrible graze on my ankle about 2 days before the Auckland half marathon - hurt to buggery and could barely put weight on it. Come race day and managed to smash out 21km at record pace.

Obviously not quite the same as playing an NRL finals game but I can sort of see the logic. There'll be tests in place to establish whether the body is up to it.
Fair point, there is loads of evidence of that in the NRL and other top level sports

Here’s my opinion. He’s not training with the team to give his best chance to play come Saturday. It has been roughly 1 week since the injury, and by webbys account he thought he’d play last week, but given the risk (and the extra life), it wasn’t worth it. This week he hasn’t been training with the team, this is normal. I’ve seen images of him with the team, but not training. That’s not to say he’s not included in team huddles and/or decision making. SJ knows what he’s doing, he’s done it for many years, played in far bigger games than this & has been in career best form - he could not train all week, come out on sat & kill it. He knows the plays, the shapes, the timings. All he needs to do is maximise recovery time, he’ll take part in captains run (assume Friday) & see how he tracks. He’s not required early week. This concession that he hasn’t trained doesn’t detract from his chances of being available. He’s more likely than last week, and he was close last week - that’s enough from me. Imo he’ll play. This is a do or die.

Here’s my opinion. He’s not training with the team to give his best chance to play come Saturday. It has been roughly 1 week since the injury, and by webbys account he thought he’d play last week, but given the risk (and the extra life), it wasn’t worth it. This week he hasn’t been training with the team, this is normal. I’ve seen images of him with the team, but not training. That’s not to say he’s not included in team huddles and/or decision making. SJ knows what he’s doing, he’s done it for many years, played in far bigger games than this & has been in career best form - he could not train all week, come out on sat & kill it. He knows the plays, the shapes, the timings. All he needs to do is maximise recovery time, he’ll take part in captains run (assume Friday) & see how he tracks. He’s not required early week. This concession that he hasn’t trained doesn’t detract from his chances of being available. He’s more likely than last week, and he was close last week - that’s enough from me. Imo he’ll play. This is a do or die.
I would argue the timing will take a lot of work from in involved for it to be on. We have seen it be off just from a bye!

I’ve had a bung calf for a few weeks now. It sucks, I don’t think I could do 80mins 🤣 Hopefully he is tougher than me!! They are tricky though, his acceleration will be severely affected. One good thing is it shouldn’t effect his general kicking.

No 'maybe' about it - 100% Webster asked Volkman if he is ready for finals in the NRL. And is it so shocking to people to entertain the idea that Volkman may have said I do not feel ready coach?

You have to laugh mate. Newcastle have the 4th best points for in the NRL and were only 3 points worse than us in defence. They need a better kicker, with more goals kicked they would have been the number one points for in the game 2023.

Their outside backs meters and tackle busts are insane, I saw on the Warriorholic breakdown that in the last five games they have scored on Average twenty points more than us per game.

The Knights fact checker:

Best Try scoring side in the NRL.
2ND best tackle breaking side
Best Line breaks in the NRL

Less Missed tackles than the Warriors.

I suspect many fans in here had no idea that the Knights have the best attack in the NRL including the Panthers and Broncos.

I know for a fact most will measure the Knights based off their early season showings against the Warriors and their past history as a not so bad ass team.

Fans just tend not to watch other teams and when they do they have a deep inbuilt bias that says Knights average Warriors good.

To win this we are going to have to turn on the best defensive sets of our lives because the Knights are harder to defend than Brisbane will be next week.

Same goes for attack, their defence is a mirror of ours, when ours is good.

I kept saying we want Canberra, but now we have what we do, at least if we knock over the Knights we will be ready for anyone.
Wow… we should have smashed the Dolphins, finished 3rd and avoided the Knights 😳

No 'maybe' about it - 100% Webster asked Volkman if he is ready for finals in the NRL. And is it so shocking to people to entertain the idea that Volkman may have said I do not feel ready coach?

You have to laugh mate. Newcastle have the 4th best points for in the NRL and were only 3 points worse than us in defence. They need a better kicker, with more goals kicked they would have been the number one points for in the game 2023.

Their outside backs meters and tackle busts are insane, I saw on the Warriorholic breakdown that in the last five games they have scored on Average twenty points more than us per game.

The Knights fact checker:

Best Try scoring side in the NRL.
2ND best tackle breaking side
Best Line breaks in the NRL

Less Missed tackles than the Warriors.

I suspect many fans in here had no idea that the Knights have the best attack in the NRL including the Panthers and Broncos.

I know for a fact most will measure the Knights based off their early season showings against the Warriors and their past history as a not so bad ass team.

Fans just tend not to watch other teams and when they do they have a deep inbuilt bias that says Knights average Warriors good.

To win this we are going to have to turn on the best defensive sets of our lives because the Knights are harder to defend than Brisbane will be next week.

Same goes for attack, their defence is a mirror of ours, when ours is good.

I kept saying we want Canberra, but now we have what we do, at least if we knock over the Knights we will be ready for anyone.
In terms of stats we are very similar to the Knights, with one major exception, they have come home with a wet sail whereas we have limped over the line, but still ahead of them ladies and jellybeans..

On the right wing Dominic Young was one I would not have swapped for DWZ, but now he has scored more than DWZ this season, his finishing is just YouTube quality.

I think we have a better overall pattern, I will worry if SJ is not playing though, and if I were them I would not like the trip from Newcastle to Sydney and then over here.

The Aussie bookies have their money on the Warriors, I agree.

Makes zero sense to have both Siro and Jazz on the bench together IMHO .. rather a Bunty or Ale least gives us another Prop to run the ball out ... Jazz is well out of form and trying to play like a prop he just gets mowed down by halfs ... SIRO not much better but less likely to drop the ball or cost team another 6 or Pen...

Agree Curren has got to have as much time as he can handle .... Ford is better than Siro/Jazz so should make the team but needs to sort his D out after the Panther flat-footed BS he was putting out ...prob his worst game of the season..

Hoping SJ is fit and ready to kick some ass ...

I'm probably reading too much into it, but I think Volkman is out of favour and likely will move on at the end of season as rumoured. In my mind he should be playing 7 if SJ isn't, TMM is not a dominate half or even a kicking half. Walker can hold the fort but we lose his attacking game in the middle while stifling the attack out wide.

The only thing that stacks up for me is he is out of favour and leaving..

I don't buy into the on the outter theory at all and here is an example of why it just does not fly....We have named Vailea in the extended reserves twice to cover in case of injury when Rocko was doubtful this season and both times it was after Vailea had been released.

Ergo if Volkman is gone our method is to use him anyway, and the fact the Vailea has a pea heart and a dubious attitude to training and off the ball work stamps out that theory all together in the real world.

I believe personally it is a confidence issue.

Where do i get one of those Warriors Visor ( hats ) that SJ is wearing in that photo ? Are they for sale ?

Will Ferrell probably has a spare one.

He is wearing TED stockings too lol (compression stockings for old people, enhances venous return to the heart, decreases swelling in the lower extremities).

You have to be comfortable in your own skin and a pretty secure man to rock that full look.

I agree with this. I would add that is also gives Walker and TMM the week (until Friday) to practice as the halves pairing in the chance that Shaun cannot play.

Unleash the wounded Johnson!

It would be dumb to do any of the training that the team is doing.

As you say his injury is only a week old.

No one trains on a calf strain, he will be out there walking around, in the gym he will be doing leg extensions, leg curls, and upper body weights.

The only running he is going to do this week will be in the pool up until the Captains run, where they have a choice to make, test it out, or keep praying on the one known thing that works with this type of injury....rest, walking, no running.

Then have a run on Saturday before the final team cut.

Reactions: kos
Time to end it

1694584723360.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back