NRL NRL Draw 2024

I agree, fuck the storm & their unwillingness to share it... but it was a traditional game each year & a shame they chose to be dicks about it.
Being the only NZ based team gives the game its gravitas obviously.

The whole point to playing Melbourne on ANZAC day is that they were traditionally the best club in Australia vs the only NZ outfit.

Plus there was the traditional rivalry between the two clubs which included the Warriors being the first team to beat the Storm in their history, the first team to knock team one out from 8th and the Michael Moore Trophy.

During the Cameron Smith era the Storm fronted with some of the should be Immortals of the game and an actual immortal, their spine was the Kangaroo spine, they made for good opponents on multiple levels in keeping with the traditions of ANZAC day.

Furthermore the Kiwis who would pack out AMI added to the festive celebration of the two countries that make up that name ANZAC.

I hope the Warriors treat this as a snub when they face Melbourne proper.

It would be totally reasonable for that fixture to rotate between the two cities - which Melbourne refused because it sold so well for them.

And it's a fixture we've been totally shafted with scheduling on 1. playing late, on irregular days, with short turn arounds to the next games.
Saltiness warranted I reckon as much as I love the tradition.

That's just not realistic.

Roosters V Dragons on ANZAC Day is an institution. Played at that time for 23 years (except 2020 covid shutdown). Immortalised further by some epic games and the famous Rabs Warren call of the Fittler side step try.

It's the biggest game of the regular season. It won't be changed for anyone and definitely not to accommodate the Warriors

I'm happy we're hosting a game on ANZAC day this year but a NZ game will only ever be able to be played before the Roosters game

But I'm still pissed we've given away one of the showpiece games of the regular season

How is the ANZAC Day game a show piece for us?

Getting beaten in front of a bigger than normal Fox audience while the game finishes after ANZAC Day has ended in NZ is hardly what I'd call a show piece from our POV.

Playing in NZ on ANZAC Day will mean more to the team and players, it will mean more to the fans attending the game, and will help build stronger ties between the fans, team and players than an annual loss to Melbourne in Melbourne after midnight in NZ ever could.

How is the ANZAC Day game a show piece for us?

Getting beaten in front of a bigger than normal Fox audience while the game finishes after ANZAC Day has ended in NZ is hardly what I'd call a show piece from our POV.

Playing in NZ on ANZAC Day will mean more to the team and players, it will mean more to the fans attending the game, and will help build stronger ties between the fans, team and players than an annual loss to Melbourne in Melbourne after midnight in NZ ever could.

I didn't say it is a showpiece for us I said it's a showpiece game in the regular season - 1 of 4 set in stone fixtures of the season. The others being:
- Roosters v Dragons earlier
- Bulldogs v Souths on Good Friday
- Eels v Tigers on Easter Monday

Sadly for us this fixture has coincided for the most part with our very worst teams.

Far too many people attribute the lopsided results with weak excuses for kick off times, turnarounds etc when the truth is we sent crap teams to play the very best

Had we been able to build a consistent competitive team with regular wins we would be relishing this fixture every year.

As for playing a home game on ANZAC day, I'm sure it will mean a lot. Hopefully many of our fans won't miss out being able to attend seeing as businesses can open after 12pm

Roosters V Dragons on ANZAC Day is an institution. Played at that time for 23 years (except 2020 covid shutdown). Immortalised further by some epic games and the famous Rabs Warren call of the Fittler side step try.

It's the biggest game of the regular season. It won't be changed for anyone and definitely not to accommodate the Warriors

I'm happy we're hosting a game on ANZAC day this year but a NZ game will only ever be able to be played before the Roosters game

But I'm still pissed we've given away one of the showpiece games of the regular season
Its played at 4pm AUS /6pm NZT (time slot has shifted over the years also) - so there is absolutely no time slot issues with NZ hosting.

Any argument that the Storm shouldn't share the annual fixture with the only NZ based team is ridiculous. Its the pettiness of Melbourne which has switched up the tradition.

That games an institution and they've only had 22 games on Anzac day and we're talking foundation club & people in this thread saying our 15 or 16 anzac games is not enough for it to be a tradition with the Storm... crikey.

My 2cents, an ANZAC rivalry with the Titbros makes some sense, Kiwis would probably sell out both stadiums if it alternates home & away.

As a game it's not quite the ultimate challenge of the Storm, but how many times have we missed the finals after another hiding from them in the middle of the night. And it means we usually have to play them twice a year.

I'd rather have a shot at the two points. Let's face it we haven't been good enough, and Melbs have too much money to lose to give up the fixture. Still a bit sad about it, even though I dreaded it every year.

Mind you, Des will probably turn GC into a feckin powerhouse dynasty now, that's just our luck.

Its played at 4pm AUS /6pm NZT (time slot has shifted over the years also) - so there is absolutely no time slot issues with NZ hosting.

Any argument that the Storm shouldn't share the annual fixture with the only NZ based team is ridiculous. Its the pettiness of Melbourne which has switched up the tradition.

20 of the 21 ANZAC Day fixtures have been played at 3pm earliest and 4.10pm latest - the one game outside this was the first match-up in 2002 at 7.30pm.

20 straight years kicking off beetwen 5pm & 6pm in NZ.

A match will never be played in NZ at that time on ANZAC day unless you have the old Friday night stitchup of two games being played at the same time.

The reason I reject any idea that the game between Storm & Melbourne could be rotated is that Melbourne host in Aus primetime.

If we want to carve our own tradition and host an early game every single year then let's bloody do it but any suggestion that the Storm should give up prime time on that day is wishful thinking and lacks an understanding of how the broadcasting works for the comp

Last edited:
The GC / Warriors ANZAC rivalry will be a good one for both teams.

- The sides are generally fairly well matched in terms of results , especially over the last few years
-As the GC is still a fairly new entity they seem to be fairly flexible , unlike the storm - as we’ve seen over the last 2 weeks
-A lot of Kiwis live on the GC , which will ensure sell out crowds in Qld - it’ll be a sell out in Nz too . Titans officials will be licking their lips
-It’s an easy and enjoyable place to get to for Nz based warriors fans . Hopefully the NRL can tag on a Broncos or Dolphins game too meaning a 10 day QLD stay will result in 2 away games to attend
- Both team currently have Dynasty as their kit supplier - an opportunity for fans to create something special for both teams and fam bases?

A real opportunity to create an ongoing, long term match up.

Draw is up!

On first glance, that draw looks good for us

Still facing the Panthers as the last game of a long away trip, but not as bad as last year
I thought the same thing, doesn't seem too bad.
Waiting on a journo to do a proper analysis because it seems like a lot of work 😂

Anzac Day football is confirmed to return to Go Media Stadium for just the second time when the One New Zealand Warriors host the Gold Coast Titans on April 25 next year.

The 2024 NRL draw released today lists the fixture among 10 games the Warriors will play at their home ground.

The match-up against the Titans is a repeat of the groundbreaking first Anzac Day contest at Go Media Stadium in 2015 when the NRL marked the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Gallipoli.

Following record-breaking home and away crowds throughout their 2023 NRL campaign, the One New Zealand Warriors have been handed four games in New Zealand in the first six rounds in 2024.

They launch their year against Cronulla Sutherland at Go Media Stadium on Friday, March 8 (8.00pm kick-off) while they’re at home again to host Newcastle in round four on Sunday, March 31 (6.05pm kick-off) and Manly Warringah in round 6 on Saturday, April 13 (5.00pm kick-off).

Following Friday’s announcement of a three-year agreement to take a home game to Christchurch for each of the next three seasons, it has been confirmed the One New Zealand Warriors will face Canberra at Apollo Projects Stadium (formerly Orangetheory Stadium) in round three on Friday, March 22 (8.00pm).

In round two the One New Zealand Warriors are away to Melbourne meaning they face four of 2023’s top eight teams in the first four weeks of the season.

In all they have home fixtures against six of this year’s finals teams with the Storm hosted at Go Media Stadium on June 15, Brisbane in round 17 and three-times premiership-winning Penrith at ‘home’ in the Magic Round at Suncorp Stadium on May 19. The Sydney Roosters are the only top eight side the One New Zealand Warriors don’t face in a home game.

The club’s 30th campaign in the NRL competition sees it not only starting but also ending its regular season against the Sharks with a round 26 encounter at PointsBet Stadium on Saturday, August 31 followed by the third bye in the final round.

The other byes fall in weekends before State of Origin matches in round 13 and 19.

Other features of the draw:

Teams played once:
Home | Panthers, Broncos, Wests Tigers, Eels
Away | Rabbitohs, Dragons. Roosters, Cowboys
Teams played home and away:
Sharks, Storm, Raiders, Knights, Sea Eagles, Titans, Dolphins, Bulldogs
Origin period:
Origin I (June 5) | Bye before, Cowboys on June 8
Origin II (June 26) | Titans on June 22, Broncos on June 29
Origin III (July 17) | Bye before, Raiders on July 19

I'd say that's 6-7/10 in terms of hardness.
Origin fits in with the byes well, assuming we're fortunate enough to get one or more Warriors selected for Origin. And being without a couple of players, as the Titans might, before SOO II evens things out.
Would rather Panthers twice than Bulldogs twice, but anyway...

NRL: Storm, you guys wont get the Warriors on ANZAC.
Storm; Dumb, can we make sure they still play here in a late timeslot at least?
NRL: No
Storm: *Hands paper bag*
NRL: Say no more

1699834115618.png

Back