3. Dally M (Positional Award)
  4. RLPA Players Champion
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Johnson
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shaun-johnson/summary.html
nah, loves this club and country too much to say anything bad...
I dont see it as "bad" its just our history for worse or for better.

As someone who started under that successful Cleary reign then basically got the rug cut out under him with a never ending procession of coaches (7 in 9 seasons), changes and some questionable decisions from the regime at the top, a toxic culture that developed in an element of the playing group, injuries, a very public fallout with a CEO, a change of club, a great International career, covid, to ultimately redemption with a club now primed for success......

SJ is our only link left to all that and i for one would be fascinated to hear that history and behind the scenes from the point of view of the only constant from that whole time.

Simon Mannering is probably my favourite all time Warrior but i found his book so bland.....nothing i couldnt have found out in an almanack tbh.

Mathhew Ridges book (love him or hate him) who was never scared to speak his mind, imo is still one of the better Kiwi League books for just that reason and was a far better read.......imo.

I think SJs articualte and honest enough to find somewhere in between.

Based on recent memory lapses it will need to be closely fact checked!!!!
Fair comment. Let us go then.
Was there, or was there not, a massive elephant in the room in SJ's earlier days at the club?
Just asking like.

Mathhew Ridges book (love him or hate him) who was never scared to speak his mind, imo is still one of the better Kiwi League books for just that reason and was a far better read.......imo.
His book, like Ridge was totally straight, no bullshit. It came out at the same time as Sean Fitzpatrick's book, which was just drivel

What St George Illawarra would have done differently with Ronald Volkman deal

Story by Christian Nicolussi • 21h

St George Illawarra coach Shane Flanagan said he felt sorry for would-be Dragon Ronald Volkman after the club refused to register his contract with the NRL due to a shoulder injury – but insisted the Dragons had been forced to look after their own best interests.

Flanagan said the only thing the Dragons would have done differently was to make the player complete a medical behind closed doors, rather than have him take part in a training session while he was not officially on contract.

The 21-year-old Volkman remains without a club after being granted an official release from the New Zealand Warriors before Christmas only to have his one-year deal with the Dragons spiked once it became clear he needed shoulder surgery.

Flanagan insisted on Thursday the Dragons had done the right thing by themselves and also by Volkman.

Pressed on how the Dragons could have handled the situation more effectively Flanagan said: “The light training he did that exposed his injury should have been done behind closed doors.

“The training he did with us showed he wasn’t fit. It was more of a medical [that day]. He only caught and passed. He didn’t do any contact.

Ronald Volkman is now in limbo after it became clear he needed shoulder surgery.© NRL Photos
“I’ve done this for 20 years and I’ve never seen a player fail a medical. We have history on players, he had had a shoulder reconstruction ... but to look at the scans, he didn’t just fail [the medical] a little bit, he had two screws pulled out.
“I feel sorry for the young bloke. It’s unfortunate ... as a club, we had to protect ourselves. There are a lot of learnings from it. The club won’t shy away from that.”
Volkman is set to undergo a third set of scans in Sydney.
Warriors chief executive Cameron George told this masthead last week the club had not hidden anything from the Dragons about Volkman’s injury, and said they should have completed a medical before announcing the signing.
“That’s due diligence I would’ve thought a club would take before agreeing to sign someone,” he added.
Flanagan said Volkman’s strength in his shoulder was “down 60 per cent”, but he was not to know just how serious his injury was.
Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb, like Flanagan, was perplexed by the discrepancies in Volkman’s scan results.
“We didn’t have any reason to be overly cautious based on the information we had,” Webb said. “Next time, you’d be cautious about when you go public [with the signing news].
“It was really clear from us that, ‘pass the medical and you’ll be signed’. He didn’t pass the medical so he’s not one of our players. It’s really unfortunate.”
The Dragons, who have maintained contact with Volkman, have since signed Jesse Marschke, who was the NSW Cup player of the year and spent the past three months training with the Melbourne Storm.
“He was here today, contract signed, and he’s a good kid,” Flanagan said.
The Dragons also announced Squadron Energy would become the club’s back-of-jersey sponsor before replacing St George Bank as the major sponsor on the front of their jerseys for the 2025 and 2026 seasons.

NRL Warriors sweat on Shaun Johnson ankle scans

Story by Scott Bailey • 43m

An ankle injury is threatening to sideline Shaun Johnson for the start of the Warriors' NRL season.© Alan Lee/AAP PHOTOS
The Warriors have been left sweating on the fitness of Shaun Johnson after he was sent for scans on an ankle injury.
Johnson was placed in a moon boot after damaging his ankle at training this week, and is awaiting the results of the exploratory scans.
Any setback for the star halfback would come as a serious blow for the Warriors, given the way Johnson engineered their finals run last season.
Considered well past his best before the start of 2023, Johnson set up the most tries in the NRL last year as the New Zealand outfit reached the preliminary finals.
Any serious injury would likely rule Johnson out of pre-season matches, while the Warriors' first-round clash with Cronulla is seven weeks away.
The 33-year-old battled a calf injury at the end of last season, after signing a one-year extension with the Warriors.
The Auckland-based club have a fit-again Luke Metcalfe and returning Chanel Harris-Tavita as potential halves options alongside Te Maire Martin if Johnson misses any game time.
The Warriors released Ronald Volkman last month to join St George Illawarra, before he failed a medical examination at the Dragons and had his contract pulled.
Volkman is now awaiting a shoulder reconstruction, with questions lingering over whether he will be covered by insurance as an uncontracted player, or face paying out of his own pocket and sitting on a waiting list.

I reckon he’ll be good to go- the sports science is so good now and he’ll be getting the best possible treatment.
Plus he’s the ultimate professional- his rehab will be on point- he’s come back from much, much worse- the blokes spent more time in a moon boot than Neil Armstrong.
The more prevalent these injuries continue to be, the more this could be his last season.