General Francis Meli

Lowey_old

I'm not here to boost about how well he played for us i just thourght i'd let you guys know how he went on in he's first game for us yesterday.

He scored 2 try's on debut and looked leaner than ever... put in one of them famous tackles that i've seen him do for many years in the NRL.

The guy who he hit never got back up!

Never knew he had so much flair and is rather fast for he's size, he's second try was from 60 metres and ran over 3 defenders.

Hopefully he can prove all he's critics wrong this season and be a huge success!

PS. The lad never smiles though, we was singing he's name and everything, yet we got nothing out of him lol.

Lowey_old

ieLzee said:
personaly i think he is over rated todd byrne is alot better

To be honest mate i was expecting a big, fat lazy winger after seeing him play last year for you guys.

But boy has he surprised me so far, he's far more leaner than i've ever seen him!

I was also expecting some pudding who could'nt run for Toffee, however he looked like he had fine pace for he's size.

Caught many bombs with one hand and out jumped Peachey on several occasions.

I have a feeling he'll be far to strong in super league, he'll be up against very poor wingers in our comp who can't tackle e.g. Blacklock (excellent attacking player but boy he can't tackle!!)

mosh_old

Francis Meli is a quality winger and a handful but sometimes he goes missing because of motivation and he just doesnt care or is bored. Thats what happend with him at the Warriors. He never lost his quality he just didnt want to show it anymore. His defence was ordinary and on attack he just carted the ball up from the dummy half. In 2003 he was the best winger going around.

Wiki_old

Yes that was one of his main flaws ...his positional sense.

Anyway, to be honest Manu Vatuvei deserved his spot the whole season especially when Manu scored 9 tries out of 11 games. Nice stat. And broke the line more than any other Warrior for the whole season in only 11 games.

Vatuvei is the future. He has the drive.

Meli is quality, if he keeps his motivation up he will go far in the ESL.

PB_old

Skinner said:
ieLzee said:

Pardon ??

I'm pretty sure it was "Personally I think he (Frances Meli) is an over-rated player and I believe Todd Byrne is a lot better as a player."

Yeah, I know I'm OUT ON A LIMB and all, but that was my interpretation.

Wiki_old

Skinner said:
ieLzee said:

Pardon ??

Whats there to pardon about?

Byrne did a lot more for the club in 2005 than Meli did in 2005. Hands down.

Scored more tries, defence was solid, knew the team/game well.

Meli on the other hand ...well, it wasn't his best year for the Warriors.

2big2strong_old

it's a pitty he's returning to form now he's left the warriors, was one of the most exciting players to watch in 2003, scoring the 'best winger in the world' tag, but his lack of lustre and poor defence forced the warriors to play with 12 players on the field much of the last 2 seasons. as he was so absent he may as well of been in the grandstand. good on him tho, hope he keeps on form and can earn a spot back in the kiwi's,

STRIDER_old

I couldnt rate byrne over Meli in terms of talent. He did however have a better season. Im still very worried if byrne maintains a starting place in the warriors it shows how understrength our backline is. Byrne is a fill in type of player, not a gamebreaker or dominator in his postion. Nothing against byrne But Boy oh Boy oh hope this year holds more than undynamic football players. Still he may still prove me wrong

kiwi man_old

2black2strong said:
it's a pitty he's returning to form now he's left the warriors, was one of the most exciting players to watch in 2003, scoring the 'best winger in the world' tag, but his lack of lustre and poor defence forced the warriors to play with 12 players on the field much of the last 2 seasons. as he was so absent he may as well of been in the grandstand. good on him tho, hope he keeps on form and can earn a spot back in the kiwi's,

that happens to nearly every warrior who leaves. thats why im happy we have had a complete change of management, and one of their main goals is to try and keep the players happy.

Wiki_old

STRIDER said:
I couldnt rate byrne over Meli in terms of talent. He did however have a better season. Im still very worried if byrne maintains a starting place in the warriors it shows how understrength our backline is. Byrne is a fill in type of player, not a gamebreaker or dominator in his postion. Nothing against byrne But Boy oh Boy oh hope this year holds more than undynamic football players. Still he may still prove me wrong

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Byrne the top try scorer for the Warriors and one of the top try scorers in the minor premiership? I think he was.

Your right, he isn't a gamebreaker or dominator but he is a finisher who has exceptionally good basic skills. He didn't screw up much last year. He is a safe player who I would have chosen over Meli anyday.

crazyelves_old

"personaly i think he is over rated todd byrne is alot better"

Couldn't have put it better myself, I still don't think much of him. And let's be honest, anybody looks good playing with the bitchiz in England pppfff.

Big Fobsta_old

crazyelves said:

Couldn't have put it better myself, I still don't think much of him. And let's be honest, anybody looks good playing with the bitchiz in England pppfff.

Your utter disrespect for the English Super League and its players, shows how much you (don't) know about rugby league and it's overall improvement in International Competition and International Development standards. :roll:

Ronnie_7_old

Well good on him if he's hitting form over there.Too bad he's one of those 'Let him go and he hits form somewhere else' players that we had.Mind you I didn't like the way that he wore his socks down near his ankles. It looks awful. They're long because you're meant to pull them up!!

Lowey_old

crazyelves said:

Come on mate us Poms consider the Kiwis as our second team, we know our comp aint better than the NRL but it's improving.

Dont turn into an arrogant Aussies, Super league is home for rejects, grandads etc....... may i remind Brisbane fans about Darren Smith or Canberra fans about Jason Smith and Adamson.

Our top 3 sides are quite talented and platy with a lot of flair, it's great to watch... hopefully the salary cap in another couple of years will see the bottom teams getting closer to the top!

Ronnie_7_old

Yeah go the Pommies. Gotta give it to ya guys you guys cheered on our boys damn well in that final. Super League might not be as good as the NRL but Lowey is right it is improving. Its only going to get better especially with aussie and Kiwi expats going there and hitting form when they get there