General Fox Memorial

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I was down at Fowlds Park this afternoon to watch Mt Albert thrash Papakura 94-4.

Local football standards have dropped so far that it was such a shame to see unfit, over weight guys playing just to make up the numbers.

I didn’t see it but the Mt Albert reserves won 104-0.

Old timers such as my Dad would turn in their graves if they knew about these issues.

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
I was down at Fowlds Park this afternoon to watch Mt Albert thrash Papakura 94-4.

Local football standards have dropped so far that it was such a shame to see unfit, over weight guys playing just to make up the numbers.

I didn’t see it but the Mt Albert reserves won 104-0.

Old timers such as my Dad would turn in their graves if they knew about these issues.
That was a pretty eye opening score.

I was thinking the standard might actually go up this year due to more reserve graders and juniors being available.

I thought the ARL really missed a chance to have some good crowds - a carnival / magic round to start the year probably would of drew a decent crowd.

Northcote unbeaten though...!

Reactions: CHURCUZ and Penpal

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I agree if they are still being paid they might as well be training and playing in local comp. At least it would help the standard and show any inspiring juniors what level they need to reach.
In theory, there is still a chance that they could return to AU with the team & their families to see out the season.
They should them still be playing each week.
Nek minit ... all playing for the Autex Pt Chev Pirates !

Last edited:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Fox has been about the money teams for a long time now. At least 20 years. That's how perennial Phelan Shield Wooden Spooners Pt Chevalier Pirates won 3 competitions in 3 consecutive years to take the Fox Memorial.

You look at some of their line ups some years and every single player had been through the Warriors or NRL system at U20 level at the very least. Even this season they still have Tevita Latu, Malo Solomona, Patrick Sipley, Apirana Pewhairangi, Herman Retzlaff, Francis Leger, Wesley Veikoso, Michael Ki, Taulima Taulima, Kauri Aupouri-Puketapu, Chris Sio, Beau Cordtz, Dylan Tavita... you get the point. All former NRL, NSWC, QLDC or NYC players.

Doubt they are getting that much now with AUTEX pulling back on their commitments to Pt Chev but at their peak the top side players were getting $400 a game. Cash. Tax free. You compare that to Otahuhu at the same time who were giving their top 3 or 4 players a $50 gas voucher and the player of the day got a $50 bar tab and its not hard to see the inequity of the comp.

Not sure whats happened to the Sea Eagles but they were competitive the last few seasons having spent a chunk of change on Richie Blackmore. They also had some big backers in the $30 million 'pig farmer' winner, the local watering hole and Bill McEntee who had a clause in his sale of McEntee Hire to Kennards Hire that they would match his donation to the club up to $10,000 every year.

My guess is those funds are dried up now and they are left with players who simply play for the love of the game.

Anyway theres always been whipping teams in comps so if you want to watch a good game just watch the best line ups. This weeks will probably be between the Leopards and Tigers at Bert Henham Park or if you want to watch the majority of the Warriors Jersey Flegg team go watch Richmond and Pirates at Walker Park. All games start at 2:30pm.

Keep an eye on Richmonds #9 Temple Kalepo. Good solid player who can hit like a freight train. Most contracted Warriors juniors who are juniors for a Fox Championship or Fox Qualifying team (formerly the Sharman Cup competition) are playing for Richmond as the Warriors have told them they have to play Fox and theres the Ricky Henry connection there who is coaching them...

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Mount looked good against the Bears. I was surprised that Papakura beat Mangere East

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Good to see that Paulie Roach, brother of Nate and ex Canberra lower grader, is turning out for Richmond this year.

He came via Ponsonby Rugby Club where he played well and made the Auckland Mitre 10 team.

JTS debuted for Ponsonby rugby last week.

Reactions: Big_Fattz

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
Good to see that Paulie Roach, brother of Nate and ex Canberra lower grader, is turning out for Richmond this year.

He came via Ponsonby Rugby Club where he played well and made the Auckland Mitre 10 team.

JTS debuted for Ponsonby rugby last week.
Going to be a interesting year. Some clubs have lost a lot of talent.

Northcote lost to Roskill over the weekend...

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
It seems like Northcote have lost many of their best players. It would be a shame to lose the last of the North Shore clubs from the Fox.
Interesting that in Auckland rugby East Tamaki had to default last Saturday and a couple of clubs, Te Papapa and Mt Wgtn cant field senior teams. This is a worrying trend that will continue in both rugby codes.

Last edited:

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
It seems like Northcote have lost many of their best players. It would be a shame to lose the last of the North Shore clubs from the Fox.
Interesting that in Auckland rugby the once power club, Otahuhu, had to default last Saturday and a couple of clubs, Te Papapa and Mt Wgtn cant field senior teams. This is a worrying trend that will continue in both rugby codes.
Made worse if you've got boys repeating their last year of secondary school just to play First XV to get on TV and in front of managers and Super Rugby scouts.

And then you've got the problem of the boys who were expecting to play First XV this year being blocked from playing by the returned ones.

Has anyone heard anything about similiar issues in what ever secondary school league comp there is?

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Watching Mangere v Northcote via the ARL website.

ARL coverage has certainly gone up a couple of notches from a couple of years back - last time I watched Fox, which was via nzherald.co.nz to be fair, there was no commentary and not much camera coverage of the ground.

You'd think someone who was sensible in the ARL might find a way to monetise this live coverage. Obviously an audience wouldn't pay much for this, but couldn't the ARL cover costs at least?

Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 14 ratings