Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Episode 7 (Salary cap and 2021 recruitment)

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Hi guys, episode 7 is live! Riffing off some of the great comments on this forum, I've had a look at the Warriors salary cap position and analysed the priorities and options for 2021 recruitment and retention.

I've attached (and copied below) a sheet that I put together that describes our current roster and (my guess of) our salary cap in 2020, and how it might look in 2021. Having a copy of the sheet while you listen to the podcast isn't essential, but it definitely made things clearer for me! Also since I recorded I learnt that the minimum wage for an NRL top 30 squad member is now $105k not $110k - so the sheet is slightly off on that (not that it matters overall).

As always, questions and comments welcome.

1586267798551.png

Attachments

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
Hi guys, episode 7 is live! Riffing off some of the great comments on this forum, I've had a look at the Warriors salary cap position and analysed the priorities and options for 2021 recruitment and retention.

I've attached (and copied below) a sheet that I put together that describes our current roster and (my guess of) our salary cap in 2020, and how it might look in 2021. Having a copy of the sheet while you listen to the podcast isn't essential, but it definitely made things clearer for me! Also since I recorded I learnt that the minimum wage for an NRL top 30 squad member is now $105k not $110k - so the sheet is slightly off on that (not that it matters overall).

As always, questions and comments welcome.

View attachment 42357
Bang on the Money Fonzie! .. looking forward to the season restarting, your podcasts I’ve enjoyed listening to each week 👍🏽

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
That was awesome fonzie, you put a huge amount of time and effort into these, especially this week.
I once again agree with all your points. On Katoa I can see him with a massive future as I reckon he is going to be like Ali and family is going to be his biggest driver for success. He lost his father and setting up his mother and family I reckon will play a huge part in his development as it does with a lot of pacific island guys.
Just a question. With Adam Blair exercising his player option, does the club have any right to change his money value and say we don't think you are worth that but we can offer you this, if you don't like it you can see what you can get on the market or does the value he has been here on stand?

Panther

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016
It is sad so much of this is based on how Kearney uses the players.

Even if Blair uses his player option, irrespective of the money he earns, he shouldn't be in the 17. See if he will take 1/2 the money to stay away?

Any top club has juniors still on basic contracts performing in the top grade. Remember the half in our last grand final team! They can generally get a couple of seasons from them before they get upgraded. For some reason at the Warriors, we upgrade as soon as they get a sniff of first grade.

PullinTeeth

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 11, 2017
I've heard that a couple of the players that you've got on minimum contracts are actually getting paid the equivalent of a 3 year regular 1st grader ( whatever value that is) just because there was interest from other clubs.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
When Roache gets fit and if he stays fit, he’s the man for 9. And the prop I’d be going for is Ese’ese or Welch
Not sure I agree with Roache but at least shifting Kodi to 9 will make better use of skills ala the what he showed us in the last Kiwis Test.

Absolutely agree with recruiting players like Ese'ese and Welch. Those calibre of players aren't premium but perform well and are looking for opportunities to play more minutes and make more money..

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I've heard that a couple of the players that you've got on minimum contracts are actually getting paid the equivalent of a 3 year regular 1st grader ( whatever value that is) just because there was interest from other clubs.
Who? Curran and Perham? Curran would've had a lot of interest being U20 NSW rep and I know we had to fight off the Panthers pretty heavily to land Perham.

Just a question. With Adam Blair exercising his player option, does the club have any right to change his money value and say we don't think you are worth that but we can offer you this, if you don't like it you can see what you can get on the market or does the value he has been here on stand?
The club can't rewrite the contract so that he earns less money. He will be on the same coin as previous years.
And there is 0% chance he turns down his player option with that guaranteed money.

Reactions: Fonzie

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Who? Curran and Perham? Curran would've had a lot of interest being U20 NSW rep and I know we had to fight off the Panthers pretty heavily to land Perham.

The club can't rewrite the contract so that he earns less money. He will be on the same coin as previous years.
And there is 0% chance he turns down his player option with that guaranteed money.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Hi mate, the other thing is that sometimes the contract will have special clauses in there e.g. Darius Boyds contract apparently said that if he didn't play at least 15 first grade games in his last year he couldn't exercise the player option.

Also if the club is smart it would agree a lower contract value for the player option year eg $600k for years 1-3, player option for year 4 but at a price of $400k. That is actually the smart/logical way to structure a player option. I doubt we did it though.

Reactions: Noitall

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Also if the club is smart it would agree a lower contract value for the player option year eg $600k for years 1-3, player option for year 4 but at a price of $400k. That is actually the smart/logical way to structure a player option. I doubt we did it though.
You would almost never see that in a contract these days. A player option in a contract often indicates the player's bargaining power. Im sure if the Warriors offered that it would of got shot down by Blair's camp straight away.

tajhay

Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Hi mate, the other thing is that sometimes the contract will have special clauses in there e.g. Darius Boyds contract apparently said that if he didn't play at least 15 first grade games in his last year he couldn't exercise the player option.

Correct. We are the dumbest club when it comes to contracts/salary cap management.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Last Game

13 Sep

5.7 Total Avg Rating
5.1 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 11 ratings