Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Episode 6 (Stephen Kearney)

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
A good balanced look .
Thanks for the research you did .It was a nice perspective

If you go back to the kiwi thread when he was coach .He made
Some huge calls around player selection .An it worked
Which to me says if he has the cattle he can make some good calls
But a limited roster an weekly competition are probably the main differences
Between NRL an internationals

SK has effectively had 3 different owners at the club .
How does that effect things .I don't know .

SJ an CNK leaving are probably the two biggest recruitment or
Retention mistakes we made .that year
I was hoping CNK an RTS would follow the Roosters model
That they used when RTS an the Roosters fullback shared the fullback winger role
Which would have allowed RTS to inject himself but also given him some time an space to learn to be captain .
I realized once SJ left we were f...d no matter what

So are we in a better position than when he came ?
We have money .An are only a half short of a
Competitive roster with the BMM signing an Katoa / JTB
But no SJ .we will regret this ..If been looking at the similarities between
SJ an Benji an I can see SJ following the same improvement pattern.

I'm in two minds after game day I'm usually a bit salty at SK
Rationally from long term perspective we are going in the right direction.

Do a podcast on CG I think I'd like to hear 40 minutes of he's a clown

Oh yeah you're point you brought up about SK changing or just lipservice?
I actually thought about this a while ago
An am undecided about this
To be an assistant coach a national coach an a international coach
He has to have some political nouse .An has obviously had to say yes
A few times .
I hope I'm wrong .

But good work and stay safe

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Agree with pretty much all your points again fonzie.
One thing I would add to the SJ debacle is the mistake of letting Mason Lino go. They obviously didn't see SJ leaving when they let Lino go to the Knights.
2018 saw Lino handle the role of SJ and Green when they were out injured respectively.
He also may have been the steadying hand for CHT to break into first grade. They would have had quite a good knowledge of each other's game from their time in ISP together.
Somebody on this forum not so long ago asked the question if Lino is worth getting back as he's off contract. I would say yes.

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
Thanks Fonzie, I really enjoyed your podcast this season and your very thoughtful analysis, great listening, - I’m looking forward to your recruitment podcast.👍🏽
If you are right about his ‘metamorphosis’ as a coach, I wonder if he had the right assistant coaches to help in this development as they play such an important part in how the team is prepped?
This suspended season might just keep him in a job for next season along with a preferred replacement not being available.
I bet he will be sweating on POS to somehow weave some recruitment magic in the next 8 months to give him the best chance of success.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Good podcast... Excellent research and rational..

I'd like to you to do one on CG.
Thanks mate

Haha you’re the second to suggest a podcast on CG. At this stage I don’t think I can bring myself to do it, let’s just say I find the subject matter very uninspiring..

You never know, if this lockdown goes long enough I might give it a crack.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Thanks Fonzie, I really enjoyed your podcast this season and your very thoughtful analysis, great listening, - I’m looking forward to your recruitment podcast.👍🏽
If you are right about his ‘metamorphosis’ as a coach, I wonder if he had the right assistant coaches to help in this development as they play such an important part in how the team is prepped?
This suspended season might just keep him in a job for next season along with a preferred replacement not being available.
I bet he will be sweating on POS to somehow weave some recruitment magic in the next 8 months to give him the best chance of success.
Cheers mate

Yeah I had a bit to say about assistant coaches (and a few other things) for the podcast but I didn’t want to go over an hour so I didn’t get to it. I might put a few thoughts up on here instead when I get a minute.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Agree with pretty much all your points again fonzie.
One thing I would add to the SJ debacle is the mistake of letting Mason Lino go. They obviously didn't see SJ leaving when they let Lino go to the Knights.
2018 saw Lino handle the role of SJ and Green when they were out injured respectively.
He also may have been the steadying hand for CHT to break into first grade. They would have had quite a good knowledge of each other's game from their time in ISP together.
Somebody on this forum not so long ago asked the question if Lino is worth getting back as he's off contract. I would say yes.

Thanks mate

On Lino, he’d be handy to have around the club next year, especially if AK heads back to Aussie as I expect he will. Wouldn’t want him to block a spot for one of the up and comers though.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
[QUOTE="Off The Bench, post: 824984, member: yeah you're point you brought up about SK changing or just lipservice?
I actually thought about this a while ago
An am undecided about this
To be an assistant coach a national coach an a international coach
He has to have some political nouse .An has obviously had to say yes
A few times .
I hope I'm wrong .
[/QUOTE]

I hope you’re wrong too mate. That would be terrible for the club and for SK. Would truly be a waste of a couple of years.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
When they tried
Thanks mate

Haha you’re the second to suggest a podcast on CG. At this stage I don’t think I can bring myself to do it, let’s just say I find the subject matter very uninspiring..

You never know, if this lockdown goes long enough I might give it a crack.
It was a bit tongue and cheek .
I'm kind of thinking of the 1984 movie
Hate session scene .

I'm not sure I could listen . Unbiasedly .Under the loving gaze
Of my SJ posters an cardboard cutouts

Id like to say it's a no homo love
But I'm not sure.

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
Enjoyed the longer format and I have also wondered if SK needs to be in a mentoring role rather than coaching or if he needs someone like Bennett as a coaching director.
He’s got the skills but I never see any game plan change unless, what it looks like to me, the players make it up on the field as they go every so often.

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
SK’s long term assistants don’t appear to be bringing anything to your table either, this includes one T. Iro, and whatever the fuck he does at the club

Reactions: Fonzie

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Thanks mate

On Lino, he’d be handy to have around the club next year, especially if AK heads back to Aussie as I expect he will. Wouldn’t want him to block a spot for one of the up and comers though.
I know you're doing a recruitment podcast next but I was wondering if there are any names that spring to your mind that would add value to our squad? I know there are plenty but realistically players we might be able to get over here.

Reactions: Off The Bench

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Fonz, another great effort and well researched.

I agree with most of what you said apart from the fact that I can’t see SK getting a Warriors team to the GF. A number of long term fans such as myself share this belief and our support for the club is deminishing.
Quite simply, there needs to be a major shake up at the Warriors starting with the coaching team and possibly the CEO too. The shake up with the playing staff will happen as contracts come to an end.

Last edited:

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
I know you're doing a recruitment podcast next but I was wondering if there are any names that spring to your mind that would add value to our squad? I know there are plenty but realistically players we might be able to get over here.
Hi mate, as you will have seen from the other thread I started I’ve mainly been focusing on what positions we most need to strengthen by recruiting and where we can internally promote.

I had a look at the 2020 off contract players list and I have to say it was pretty uninspiring - there’s a few young guys that are good prospects but we already have those in key positions and I would like some established talent.But you never know who will shake loose once transfers start happening. I still think that we have a better chance of recruiting kiwis at fair value than Aussies for all the obvious reasons.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Hi mate, as you will have seen from the other thread I started I’ve mainly been focusing on what positions we most need to strengthen by recruiting and where we can internally promote.

I had a look at the 2020 off contract players list and I have to say it was pretty uninspiring - there’s a few young guys that are good prospects but we already have those in key positions and I would like some established talent.But you never know who will shake loose once transfers start happening. I still think that we have a better chance of recruiting kiwis at fair value than Aussies for all the obvious reasons.
Agree with you about kiwis being our best bet to target but also good players down the pecking order at their clubs. As I said on the other thread you started I like the look of Junior Ratuva in the centres but don't know much about his status at the club. Tautau Moga is a powerful runner that might be worth a look. The storm are showing Papua New Guinians are having success in the centres like Fijian wingers and Seve and Olam off contract.
Fairly happy with our forward pack but could be swayed depending who the player is if we target a forward.
In the halves is where I think we need an abrasive Aussie. Someone mentioned Connor Watson this morning but don't know much about his kicking game, can fill all positions in the spine though. Some young guys might be worth a punt like Cooper Johns(good pedigree) or Brandon Wakeham, both very light in 70 something kilos but tall. Still think a guy like Lino could add value for a couple of seasons as he knows the club so well and would take SJ back on a lesser contract but I don't think that will happen.
I've been watching some of the Warriors and U20s games on sky. The replays of the U20s finals you could see we had guys ready to play first grade in Hurrell, Kata, Bunty etc, I haven't seen a huge amount of our current crop that says to me they are ready for first grade with the exception of Katoa. Don't get me wrong I see guys like Paul Turner with a massive future, just not yet. Would try Perham at centre, just not sure about his defence.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings