Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Episode 4 (Round 2 v Canberra)

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Great podcast .
On Papalii his one on one strips he got 14 last season
Also for a new player he's pretty reliable . It's not really his fault
He's not always played at lock or prop .

My thoughts on AK is SK has found a way to get CHT an AK game time
Green isn't around for ever .
Also gives him a kicking option .

Definitely getting young guys on the paddock it's not all talk .

Reactions: Worried2Death

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Great podcast .
On Papalii his one on one strips he got 14 last season
Also for a new player he's pretty reliable . It's not really his fault
He's not always played at lock or prop .

My thoughts on AK is SK has found a way to get CHT an AK game time
Green isn't around for ever .
Also gives him a kicking option .

Definitely getting young guys on the paddock it's not all talk .

Interesting thought on AK and you're right, another kicking option would be very useful. I found it odd that Perham didn't get the spot but that could very well explain it.

Reactions: Off The Bench

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Cheers mate will check it out, as to episode 4, this is the other problem with the warriors. Wet weather football doesn't suit the game model but why cant we adjust? We never adjust and any situation?

Who's to blame in those situations? Is it a coach before kickoff or the captain/ leadership group?

Reactions: Worried2Death

Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
May 29, 2012
Sydney
Cheers mate will check it out, as to episode 4, this is the other problem with the warriors. Wet weather football doesn't suit the game model but why cant we adjust? We never adjust and any situation?

Who's to blame in those situations? Is it a coach before kickoff or the captain/ leadership group?

There was nothing wrong with the completion rate.

Zero clue in the red zone, dry or wet.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018

Mate I'd say the traditional view is that wet weather suits a team that can complete it sets, dominate the middle third of the field, and kick long and chase hard. If you just don't have the pack or the halves with a strong kicking game, there's limits to how much you can adjust. As Falcon said, the completion rate was ok. For me the fundamental problem was we got dominated in the middle of the field and couldn't kick our way out of trouble at all.

Putting wet weather aside, I agree with you that we seem to struggle to adjust to any situation. I think its because we have a game model that has been built on 'workarounds'. For example, we have a small pack, so the workaround in the past has been to rely on the back 5 for yardage. That then means we've picked backs for size and yardage rather than speed and skill. Or, we lack an edge backrower so we play a lock on the edge, which kills the attack on that edge. So when you've got deficiencies that you try and paper over in other areas, the overall effect is that your game model is fragile and if one area get exploited the whole thing breaks down easily.

One thing that I find hopeful this year is that there are signs that Kearney is starting to try to rebalance the squad in a more sustainable way. For example, Katoa on the edge, the experiment with Ken in the centres, JTB in the middle. When I put on my rose coloured glasses I can see these guys growing into the role and the squad having a more sustainable balance in the coming years.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Mate I'd say the traditional view is that wet weather suits a team that can complete it sets, dominate the middle third of the field, and kick long and chase hard. If you just don't have the pack or the halves with a strong kicking game, there's limits to how much you can adjust. As Falcon said, the completion rate was ok. For me the fundamental problem was we got dominated in the middle of the field and couldn't kick our way out of trouble at all.

Putting wet weather aside, I agree with you that we seem to struggle to adjust to any situation. I think its because we have a game model that has been built on 'workarounds'. For example, we have a small pack, so the workaround in the past has been to rely on the back 5 for yardage. That then means we've picked backs for size and yardage rather than speed and skill. Or, we lack an edge backrower so we play a lock on the edge, which kills the attack on that edge. So when you've got deficiencies that you try and paper over in other areas, the overall effect is that your game model is fragile and if one area get exploited the whole thing breaks down easily.

One thing that I find hopeful this year is that there are signs that Kearney is starting to try to rebalance the squad in a more sustainable way. For example, Katoa on the edge, the experiment with Ken in the centres, JTB in the middle. When I put on my rose coloured glasses I can see these guys growing into the role and the squad having a more sustainable balance in the coming years.
Agree that yes Kearney is starting to tinker a bit more with the young guys, my only fear with that is we are now relying on these young kids! For me that's not good enough! I love what Katoa is doing and long my it continue, but these guys that have been around for a while need to do more!

Love all your points on kicking and middle dominance, keep up the good work! 👍🍺

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle Rate Match

Last Game

19 Jun

4.2 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 13 ratings