Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Ep 5

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Great podcast fonzie. Once again found myself agreeing with practically all your views. I was one of those scathing of the nrls predicament but not aware of past contracts etc and your comparison to airlines was a good perspective.
In a couple of games that for most would have been a huge disappointment, the emergence of Eleisa Katoa was massive and could save money to recruit in another area, huge hype around this guy and hope we can hold onto him. I think it showed that he had no commitments back home and therefore just went for it whereas the other guys minds just weren't on the job with concerns about family etc( my take anyway).
I think Papalii earns another contract as I can see Tom Ale not ready to claim the lock role yet and the back row line up as you mentioned going forward.
Keighran the same with another contract and stay centre though I was disappointed at a couple of dropped balls from him towards the end of the game. Fusitua not doing it for me at moment and with Junior Ratuva looking to be in the mix would think about shifting Fusitua on.
Really feel for Blake Green as the team he was brought over to in 2018 disintegrated before his eyes after showing huge promise in their first year together, after all he was brought here for SJ.
He is not the right fit for this team going forward. Heard Jackson Hastings podcast referring to a return to the NRL and I definitely get the feeling we are the team he will join after at the start of the year a rumour emerged of him joining us in 2021. POS would have had a lot to do with him at the Roosters.
I think we hold onto Frei and he and JTB are our depth props with BMM,Ah Mau,Passi and Bunty our first grade rotation.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Good podcast.

On Qantas v NRL - apples to orange

It should be compared to other professional sport outfits. Both onshore and abroad - afl, union,football, nba ...

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Great podcast fonzie. Once again found myself agreeing with practically all your views. I was one of those scathing of the nrls predicament but not aware of past contracts etc and your comparison to airlines was a good perspective.
In a couple of games that for most would have been a huge disappointment, the emergence of Eleisa Katoa was massive and could save money to recruit in another area, huge hype around this guy and hope we can hold onto him. I think it showed that he had no commitments back home and therefore just went for it whereas the other guys minds just weren't on the job with concerns about family etc( my take anyway).
I think Papalii earns another contract as I can see Tom Ale not ready to claim the lock role yet and the back row line up as you mentioned going forward.
Keighran the same with another contract and stay centre though I was disappointed at a couple of dropped balls from him towards the end of the game. Fusitua not doing it for me at moment and with Junior Ratuva looking to be in the mix would think about shifting Fusitua on.
Really feel for Blake Green as the team he was brought over to in 2018 disintegrated before his eyes after showing huge promise in their first year together, after all he was brought here for SJ.
He is not the right fit for this team going forward. Heard Jackson Hastings podcast referring to a return to the NRL and I definitely get the feeling we are the team he will join after at the start of the year a rumour emerged of him joining us in 2021. POS would have had a lot to do with him at the Roosters.
I think we hold onto Frei and he and JTB are our depth props with BMM,Ah Mau,Passi and Bunty our first grade rotation.
Thanks for the thoughtful comments mate. I’m not ready to write Fusitua off, I think he will come good at centre or failing that get him back to the wing. And he’s signed for a while yet.
Would you want to sign Hastings? Does that mean you’ve given up on Nikorima in the halves and think Turner is too far away?
Lastly what’s your position on Kearney? Im really wrestling with that at the moment.

Reactions: Off The Bench

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Another good podcast - well done.

I look forward to the Steve Kearney edition. My thoughts are clear , I believe he needs to go. His record is shocking and he’s had enough time to change things.

How about a recruitment programme? By this I mean we should keep X, Y, Z player but bring in A,B, c player.

This would be very much dependent on the coach and the style of play adopted.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Thanks for the thoughtful comments mate. I’m not ready to write Fusitua off, I think he will come good at centre or failing that get him back to the wing. And he’s signed for a while yet.
Would you want to sign Hastings? Does that mean you’ve given up on Nikorima in the halves and think Turner is too far away?
Lastly what’s your position on Kearney? Im really wrestling with that at the moment.
I reckon persevere with Fusitua at centre, I agree he will come right and deserves some faith shown to him. He needs some kind of aerial game plan for his particular skill set. Only from looking in my only concern with him sometimes is attitude.
You said in one of your podcasts about though we are not recruiting the players we are targeting, we are identifying the talent. I'm willing to let POS take full rein in building our squad after what he has achieved with other teams. The fact that Jackson Hastings comes from a club where he was able to see first hand the attributes he possesses is enough for me, plus the fact he has a lot to prove after how Manly and the NRL treated him. In saying that though I don't think there has been enough game time to see Nikorima get a good shot at it and he is in great condition. My real concern is a game managing role as I see Nikorima as an X factor player and Turner has a huge future but I wouldn't be willing to throw him in this early for that role. I watched a test last year I think between Samoa and Fiji and thought CHT managed that game brilliantly so I have hopes he grows into that role quickly.
I've also wrestled with the SK dilemma. I've supported him through all the critism he cops, as a supporter of this club if he is coach I will support him, he is a good man and I don't think 2018 was any fluke. That being said my confidence was rocked in watching what we turned out in our brief showing this year but also don't know how severe the injury crisis and pandemic played a part in that showing. On the Kearney forum I stated that I personally wouldn't want to see an
un-tried first grade coach given the job, my personal preference would be Kearney moving to assistant coach as he's more than proven in that role and Wanye Bennett take over as head coach as he has shown what belief he can provide a kiwi team in the World Cup years ago. I reckon Kearney has put some good things in place at this club and would like to see him there in some capacity in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Upcoming Match

Canberra Raiders GIO Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

20 Sep

5.7 Total Avg Rating
5.1 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings