Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Ep 2.20

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
Tbh fonz , getting a real opinion , an actual discussion instead of pre read and pre answered canned questions and opinions is what makes your podcast and other media good.
If you talk to Cameron George having him rattle off generic answers and what not isn't going to do anything.
It would be more gratifying to get Brownie in and ask him how he sees and is going to use the squad and what he sees in the game plan and what not.
Love your work regardless. Great pod man.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
A good podcast, thanks.

I forgot that Will was involved in the CRL scene. I think they’d struggle to attract decent players to move to ChCh, esp Aussies.

You’ve also raised an interesting point that the 30 man squad includes two rookie wingers , who are probably not at the current required NRL standard. When injuries happen, we’ll be in the shirt withJunior ( unknown how good or bad he is) and Ed ( he’s terrible) … did somebody say that POS was the recruitment guru??? This sees like a wasted signing to me.

Anyway, Merry Xmas and all the best for 2022.

Reactions: Fonzie

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
A great 2 hours of entertainment Fonzie.

Will was open about his bias, & as a Cantabrian myself I'm all for a NRL team on my doorstep, but Rugby League in Christchurch is on the decline. Only 3-4 club teams are genuine contenders in the 8 team local Premiership each season. There's no longer a Division 1 (3rd tier grade) & there's just 1 school with a decent program. Canterbury also lost to Otago for the first time in 50 years a couple of months back & failed to win the national comp that was without both Auckland & Counties. For locals to support the team there needs to be some link between the squad & the fanbase, which wouldn't be the case unless you got ex pats like Jordan Riki or Jamayne Isaako returning to the city & neither are guys you could form a competitive side around.

Have a great summer break & bring on the 2022 NRL season (& the World Cup)!

Reactions: Worried2Death

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
A great 2 hours of entertainment Fonzie.

Will was open about his bias, & as a Cantabrian myself I'm all for a NRL team on my doorstep, but Rugby League in Christchurch is on the decline. Only 3-4 club teams are genuine contenders in the 8 team local Premiership each season. There's no longer a Division 1 (3rd tier grade) & there's just 1 school with a decent program. Canterbury also lost to Otago for the first time in 50 years a couple of months back & failed to win the national comp that was without both Auckland & Counties. For locals to support the team there needs to be some link between the squad & the fanbase, which wouldn't be the case unless you got ex pats like Jordan Riki or Jamayne Isaako returning to the city & neither are guys you could form a competitive side around.

Have a great summer break & bring on the 2022 NRL season (& the World Cup)!
I share your thoughts.

Wellington is in a worse state than Canterbury.

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Brisbane
I’m about to have a listen today but would a 2nd team in NZ based in Christchurch be a case of build it and they’ll come in terms of grassroots footy?

When the Warriors started getting themselves out there in 93 and especially 94 there was a lot of support and interest in RL. Sadly the team didn’t live up to expectations but a successful team would do wonders for a once strong RL foothold

Wheels

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 30, 2021
First time I have listened to this podcast and I really enjoyed it. Good to have level headed conversation/opinion on topics of interest. Now happy with the recruitment of Jesse Arthars and will move him to starting centre in my 17 alongside Berry. It might be a good idea if Kosi listens to this podcast so he will have a point to prove but that might not be enough for him to improve on his positional play or lack of it. Disagree on Chanel starting - definitely if all players are fit will have Taylor on one side & Johnson on the other. Having a player either side of the ruck who can read play & kick & communicate is a bonus one that has always been lacking in the warriors jersey. Also, disagree on starting backrow in the absence of Harris. I would put Curran in 13, and have Katoa alongside Aitken. Katoa needs game time and offers strike force that the other players don't provide. I think Johnson will get the best out of Katoa and the more time on the field the better it will be for us at the back end of the season. I have seen him also do some 1 percenters well although at the same time he has been a bit slow getting off the ground...

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
would a 2nd team in NZ based in Christchurch be a case of build it and they’ll come in terms of grassroots footy?
Good question.
For a wee cross code comparison, since the Breakers were formed in 2003, Auckland have battled insolvency & become a whole lot less competitive in the NBL (not quite grassroots) & the North Harbour side has folded.
Since the Phoenix were formed in 2007, a club side from Wellington has won the Chatham Cup just once (in '09) & the provincial team has 0 Premierships (Championship winners in '16, '17 & '21 however).
Residents from those cities would know a whole lot more than I do about whether the talent pool in those areas has increased over the same period.

Last edited:

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Wellington is the answer if there’s a second team. As others have said the Christchurch league scene is in a pretty dismal state. The central districts area is the most on the up. They won National U20’s this year over a stacked Auckland side, and most of the players were from Wellington. Wellington will be able to get catchment from middle and lower north island as well. Tbf there haven’t been that many great South Island league talents coming through in recent years apart from Riki, Isaako, Ravalawa and none are elite.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Tbh fonz , getting a real opinion , an actual discussion instead of pre read and pre answered canned questions and opinions is what makes your podcast and other media good.
If you talk to Cameron George having him rattle off generic answers and what not isn't going to do anything.
It would be more gratifying to get Brownie in and ask him how he sees and is going to use the squad and what he sees in the game plan and what not.
Love your work regardless. Great pod man.
Thanks mate. The guy is most like to have on is actually Brian Smith. Undoubted guru of how to play the game, unaffiliated at the moment so can talk freely, and held a key role at the Warriors during what may well turn out to be a key period in our history.

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
Nice podcast again Fonzie, I like how you tapped into another platform to both share your thoughts and ideas. Both of you had measured considerations.
A lot to look forward to over the off season and the first trials will be great to see how the new faces are tracking and their
Impression on the coach’s.
Maybe a podcast with the Rugby League Guru next season?

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Excellent pod again Fonz, love your halves analysis and the dynamics of the various options, you sold me on Johnson and CHT with Walsh coming in at first reciever. Channel and Reece looked to be working up a good understanding towards the end of last season, be good to see them build on that. I'd like to see the type of game we could build around Ash and Johnson too, two dominant halves either side, Taylor ran more than Chanel in his prime so could be dynamic if he gets his mojo back. Anyway merry christmas bud from your grateful audience of millions.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Great pod, except the part when someone suggested Brent Tate as the previous Warrior that we most need, dude was the worst value ever then quit to retire and made a comeback somewhere else. If we are after a centre toopi would be first then dean bell then ropati

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Great pod, except the part when someone suggested Brent Tate as the previous Warrior that we most need, dude was the worst value ever then quit to retire and made a comeback somewhere else. If we are after a centre toopi would be first then dean bell then ropati
I choked on my cornflakes hearing that, Tate was terrible, great attitude, but couldn't pass the ball to his wingers, I'd rather Toopi in his pomp or even Tony Martin, yes Tony Martin.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings