Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Ep 2.19

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
I’m having a virtual Xmas beer with Will Evans from This Warriors Life tomorrow and weve decided to hit record (for at least some of the chat). Let me know if there’s anything you’d like us to discuss (so that it isn’t a totally indulgent mess of a podcast).
The evolution of the warriors front office. They appear quite competent in the last three years and inept in previous years. What are the dynamics at play? For instance Cameron George once a laughing stock for saying the phone is running hot is quite respected now and he is regarded as our dog in the fight and especially respected for his humanity during covid 19 decisions and player welfare.

drake83

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 14, 2013
Palmerston North
No Brad?
With the new Shaun Johnson and Bell cups the national u20 comp are these comps enough to keep some youth in nz? Or do we still envisage the youth being picked off at record rates.
Does NZRL need to pull finger and invest more or find more willing investors to grow a domestic league to rival a nsw cup qld cup to keep the players here and build the depth.

Was just listening to a yktr pod the other day an old one when ice was talking to Dylan Brown and Reed Mahoney when Ice asked Dylan about the warriors and he laughed and it was the who would go there laugh.

Just want the nz team to get the best nz youth

Reactions: Fonzie

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
I’m having a virtual Xmas beer with Will Evans from This Warriors Life tomorrow and weve decided to hit record (for at least some of the chat). Let me know if there’s anything you’d like us to discuss (so that it isn’t a totally indulgent mess of a podcast).
At what point does Brown get the chop?

Will the loss of Peter O'Sullivan impact us for years to come?

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Hi mate, I’m in Sydney and Wills in Christchurch - do you mean an assessment of the local amateur scene?
Yes, I suppose more of an assessment from Will with regard to the local CRL comp (entire South Island in fact).
RL is struggling in NZ , and talk of another NRL based in ChCh or Wgtn comes as a surprise to me. I can’t see if working, they’d need funding from a Russian or Saudi owner.

So …
1, overview of NZ domestic comp, esp in lower North island and South Island
2, likelihood of an 18th team succeeding in NZ
3, if 18th NZ team is successful, would that hurt the Warriors?

Cheers

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Last season Brown switched the following players from the lefthand side to the righthand side (or vice versa) & back again, sometimes on numerous occasions:
Montoya, Aitken, Berry, Hiku, Kosi, O'Sullivan, Nikorima, Harris, Murchie, Katoa, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Curran & Sironen. Vailea also played all his Q Cup on the left but his NRL appearances were on the right.
Some were forced as a result of things outside of Brown's control but he repeatedly shot himself & the team in the foot with odd selections.
Will the team be more versatile for these selections in 2022 or will they go down as multiple wasted opportunities for players to develop in their preferred spots & combinations to gel?

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Hi Fonzie, you have established a credible and interesting podcast. How about attempting to get an interview with Cameron George and put Forum questions to him. If I was him I would want to see the questions beforehand, and that is reasonable, and so it would be pre recorded, but interesting none the less.

WarriorDave

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 13, 2021
Fonzie Fonzie it's time for a VLOG mate. Head out to Bankstown with a sign and a megaphone chanting about making them the Canterbury (New Zealand) Bulldogs.
In all seriousness though, pretty much what Gizzy said.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
similar to Cces Cces why is Browny such a weirdo? he speaks well and talks a lot of sense in public, he's not afraid to give young players a chance, rewards effort players like Montoya, dosen't rant and rave, only ref blames in moderate doses, Gould etc seem to rate him and he can clearly talk players into playing for us when on the recruitment drive.

yet he tinkers constantly with the team, not just the names on the team sheet (injury did that for him) but what roles they are playing and keeps moochers like Justin Morgan around when he should know if we don't improve our defence (points will come if johnson isn't crippled), he'll be out of a job (again).

And will a season of hanging around 8th/9th be enough to keep his job?

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings