Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Ep 2.18

Warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 4, 2014
Nice. I've got a road trip tomorrow so I was hoping I would have this to listen to for the drive. I didn't realise I'd have to take some detours just to fit it all in though 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Fonzie

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I’m listening now and up to the Ed Kosi part …

I agree with your comments, he’s not up to first grade, give him one year at Redcliffe to develop - DON’T include him in the 30 as a wasted space.

He doesn’t look like a 1st grade player and as per Fonzie’s comments, he looked pretty average in the Dolphins team , unlike Ale.

I’ve watched a couple of Fox games this year and he wouldn’t be a stand out super star there.

Last edited:

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
I’m listening now and up to the Ed Kosi part …

I agree with your comments, he’s not up to first grade, give him one year at Redcliffe to develop - DON’T include him in the 30 as a wasted space.
I concur that he's not a regular first grader. Fonzie Fonzie's co-hosts continual mentioned Kosi's game vs the Dragons. While it was a poor performance they overlooked that it was his only game of the year, in NRL or Q Cup, that he played on the left. It's a tough gig for someone who prefers to carry the ball in his right arm & kicks with his right foot to play on the left. Brown & co dealt him a shit hand that week considering they had the opportunity for Pompey to slide out to the Wing. Kosi's effort following that game, on the right (albeit vs the Bulldogs), is probably a better reflection of where he's at

Last edited:

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Great podcast

Good energy

You made a comment around the 30min mark about running halves only running when there’s a hole to run into.

No hole.

No running.

You implied the forwards have to do their job to and disrupt the defensive line.

A bog average half, as you say, will not run otherwise. They will just shuffle the ball along…..

Shaun Johnson had this problem back in the day. Drove me nuts. Pretty much never hit the line unless there was a hole in the line to exploit.

And this is the difference between a bog average, good half and a great half.

Jonathan Thurston, the greatest running half ever because he wasn’t afraid to hit the line, regardless whether a hole existed. No hole ? No worries cause he’ll try to create one even if it means getting smashed in the process.

Benji Marshall back in the day. What made benji so great was he didn’t run into holes, but ran at the line and created holes through his shimmy steps.

Nathan Cleary beefed himself up this season, so he could makes plays closer to the line and take the hit if he couldn’t create a hole.

Our boys? ie Kodi and CHT …. As you pointed out… they only run when there is a hole. No hole. No running.

That’s is the problem …

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Looking back at Lance , could Kodi cover 1, 3,4, 6,7,9 ????

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
I dunno about kodi, I was a big fan of getting him but if he is only here for another year then why put the effort into making him into something, drop him out of the 30 and let's build elsewhere.
Unless you believe we can do something special next year with him as part of the team..nobody believes that do they? This Shaun Johnson and kodi world cup revival dream... I just dont see it.

Reactions: BeastMode

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I dunno about kodi, I was a big fan of getting him but if he is only here for another year then why put the effort into making him into something, drop him out of the 30 and let's build elsewhere.
Unless you believe we can do something special next year with him as part of the team..nobody believes that do they? This Shaun Johnson and kodi world cup revival dream... I just dont see it.

1/2 agree with you mate. Next year should not be another bloody built year.

I really tired of that thinking (no offensive). Build half way, tear it down. Build, build …. I wants some wins from all this building. Some finals footy next year would be a good start…

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
There was an interesting point Fonzie made about NB. Something to the effect he took over a shit squad at the Knights, and has done the same here ie he’s not the cause of the problem, just unable to fix it and now his reputation is scarred - longest tenure as a coach without a finals appearance or something?…

My view is you own own the choices you make in life. Do you stay in a successful organisation or do you risk everything by leaving it - whether for higher pay, title, role, whatever... Life in general, you are judged by results, so you better make the right decisions. The excuse of “it’s not my fault”, “this shit was a mess before me” is seen everywhere in the work place. I hear it and I use it all the time. Some of it maybe fair, but most of it is just an excuse to buy more time. If you are not the problem then what are you doing to fix it? And if you can’t fix it, then inherently you have become part of the problem. So where are we at this stage of the cycle with NB? I’m leaning towards the later because I cannot see him fixing our club .. the argument that there’s no one better is just an excuse ….. because if there really is no one better, then we should either tear it all down or merge with another club .. that’s usually what happens in business….

rant over 😂

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Great podcast Fonzie.

Make some good points about NB and the squad.

I think our issue will be injuries to key players next year, CHT, Tohu Harris seems to be injured a lot and Egan seems to play a lot injured.

Really enjoyed the collaboration with WIll and Brad and I'll be using that tag line, "never fight a man with a perm", that's very funny.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Great podcast Fonzie.

Make some good points about NB and the squad.

I think our issue will be injuries to key players next year, CHT, Tohu Harris seems to be injured a lot and Egan seems to play a lot injured.

Really enjoyed the collaboration with WIll and Brad and I'll be using that tag line, "never fight a man with a perm", that's very funny.
Cheers man

• Haha
Reactions: Worried2Death

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
"You might get there on a bit of luck, but if you’re playing consistent football and know what you’re playing, you know your team and your team knows what your role are.

"We were patching teams up last year and the year before, we lost Sam (Burgess) and Greg Inglis and whatever.

"This year has been very stable – we have used a lot of players, but it has been stable and we’ve come into this position with really good wins behind us and very few losses."

From old Wayne bonnet the other night , just reinforcing why our squads played like busted asses at times this year and why teams with settled squads excelled

• Love
Reactions: Fonzie and tajhay

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015
With the finals over, i see we didn't get a win against the top 7 teams, that might be a concern 🤣 Waste of time making the finals with no chance of winning a game! Next year has to be way better than this year or we are just making up the numbers.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
To my mind the most important change the Warriors have made is in the ownership and administration of the organisation. In the past we have had a concentration on merchandise sales rather than on field results. An attitude of entertainment over results and poor player management (Lauatiti). It wasn't the template for a successful professional team.

As such the expectations were set too low for players, getting the contract was the result, not the start. In such an environment it would be nigh impossible for any Coach to succeed. You hear the call for leaders. I say we have had the leaders but the culture did not have an expectation of those being led. Where were the follow up efforts of those following Wiki, Campion and Mannering. Only for short periods did it happen.

People knock SK as a Coach, and he is limited, but he didn't ask for standards, he demanded them. Effort on effort. The great All Black Colin Meads was asked what made a good player, he said 5% skills, 5% inspiration and 90% perspiration. In general we are seeing an improvement in that area. It is the mental strength we are short, that last Titans game was a manifestation of that. Too much an attitude of reaction rather than imposing their control on the game. Also the sloppy skills, it is a constant frustration to me the poorly executed fundamentals.

The return of Shaun Johnson will be son vital to a resurgence, both with his on field leadership, but also enduring those lean years with the team. Having had a different perspective will be so valuable. There is a core of hard minded experienced players now, Addin Fonua-Blake, Lodge, Aitken, Shaun Johnson, DWZ as a start.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings