Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Ep 2.11

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Hi mate, I expected some of my listeners would have that reaction - this was (deliberately) a more wide ranging light hearted chat, which some people seem to have really enjoyed and others less so. Just on the other guys on the pod, one of them is Will Evans, a very well regarded rugby league author and publisher of (amongst other things) 'Warriors 25: A History of the NZ Warriors', and I believe he is also the official historian of the NZRL. So in terms of credibility and profile etc his audience likely saw me as the charity guest on his podcast!

I do however plan to move back to more detailed match review podcasts in the back half of the season; its what my pod has always been about.

Banter is all good, but the magic ingredient that makes your podcast so good, is your very thorough and insightful analytical dissection of the game.

Look forward to the next episode.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Hi mate, I expected some of my listeners would have that reaction - this was (deliberately) a more wide ranging light hearted chat, which some people seem to have really enjoyed and others less so. Just on the other guys on the pod, one of them is Will Evans, a very well regarded rugby league author and publisher of (amongst other things) 'Warriors 25: A History of the NZ Warriors', and I believe he is also the official historian of the NZRL. So in terms of credibility and profile etc his audience likely saw me as the charity guest on his podcast!

I do however plan to move back to more detailed match review podcasts in the back half of the season; its what my pod has always been about.

I listened to the whole episode and enjoyed it. A great light hearted chat about the Warriors / just the sort of thing we’d do sitting around a table at the pub.

Thanks and congrats guys!

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
I listened to the whole episode and enjoyed it. A great light hearted chat about the Warriors / just the sort of thing we’d do sitting around a table at the pub.

100%, so the schedule sounds like it kind of went out the window, wasn’t bothered in the least still some good insight to come out of the conversation - Cheers by the way for pointing us to the https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/ I’ve landed on there a few times but hadn’t really investigated it fully, such an incredible resource.

Reactions: Fonzie

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018

I actually found the Joey Manu segment pretty compelling and maybe the stars are in alignment regarding getting him onboard?

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Hey fonz, if you haven't listened to Gojira give it a spin I think after hearing your music taste you would like these guys. On the podcast I can't say it was may favorite, but it wasnt you fonz I'm just not a fan of Brad from this warriors life. I fell like he actually doesn't add anything footy wise, but does keep it light.

Ps please don't join them fonz or at least take brads spot 😂

Reactions: Fonzie

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands

Adaptation is a good thing. Just look at how Denan Kemp is going with his Bloke in a Bar podcasts. Being able to keep it interesting with different chats but keeping it as genuine as possible in regards to being a footy podcast is what keeps his poscasts going so strong. Many others stray away from what matters. So in relation to your podcasts i feel its fine to have a bit of banter and chats but also keeping that knowledge you have about the game and how you see it is what keeps me listening. Keep up the good work mate.

Do what you do best and have a bit of fun while doing it. Anyone who doesn't like it is a salty hater who has nothing better to do than critique another mans success

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Adaptation is a good thing. Just look at how Denan Kemp is going with his Bloke in a Bar podcasts. Being able to keep it interesting with different chats but keeping it as genuine as possible in regards to being a footy podcast is what keeps his poscasts going so strong. Many others stray away from what matters. So in relation to your podcasts i feel its fine to have a bit of banter and chats but also keeping that knowledge you have about the game and how you see it is what keeps me listening. Keep up the good work mate.

Do what you do best and have a bit of fun while doing it. Anyone who doesn't like it is a salty hater who has nothing better to do than critique another mans success
Hi mate

I'm always happy to get feedback, good and bad. That said this podcast grew out of this Forum, and so I pay a lot more attention to feedback from the regular contributors on here than from anywhere else.

In a way its humbling that people care about my little pod enough that they notice changes in format and miss the 'regular' content; it means they probably aren't getting that from anywhere else. I've seen my audience numbers go up over time and these days in the weeks when I drop an episode I tend to chart in the top 10 podcasts for Rugby of either code in NZ on iTunes - this week I'm at #7 ( https://chartable.com/charts/itunes/nz-rugby-podcasts ). I can tell from the stats too that a big chunk of my audience listens via this website, so they wouldn't be picked up in the iTunes stats.

The thing is, I don't get paid to do it, I have no interest in asking for $ contributions, and I have no interest in a career in media. So the key for me in keeping the pod going is to make sure I'm enjoying it enough to want to keep devoting the time and money that it takes (and making sure the family is ok with that). I really enjoyed the chat with the This Warriors Life boys and it was a nice change from running solo. So at the end of the day the feedback is interesting, but I'm not particularly looking to build an audience, or even worse being 'captured' by what I think my audience wants.

I'd also encourage anyone else who is thinking of starting a pod, or a youtube channel, or anything else, to go ahead and do it. We can always use more good content in the community, and ideally I'd like to see it get to a place where if I stop recording one day no one really misses it because there's plenty of other good stuff out there (and which I can enjoy listening to while I work!).

Anyway, thanks again to all of you for your contributions on this site and elsewhere, and for your support.

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
Hi mate

I'm always happy to get feedback, good and bad. That said this podcast grew out of this Forum, and so I pay a lot more attention to feedback from the regular contributors on here than from anywhere else.

In a way its humbling that people care about my little pod enough that they notice changes in format and miss the 'regular' content; it means they probably aren't getting that from anywhere else. I've seen my audience numbers go up over time and these days in the weeks when I drop an episode I tend to chart in the top 10 podcasts for Rugby of either code in NZ on iTunes - this week I'm at #7 ( https://chartable.com/charts/itunes/nz-rugby-podcasts ). I can tell from the stats too that a big chunk of my audience listens via this website, so they wouldn't be picked up in the iTunes stats.

The thing is, I don't get paid to do it, I have no interest in asking for $ contributions, and I have no interest in a career in media. So the key for me in keeping the pod going is to make sure I'm enjoying it enough to want to keep devoting the time and money that it takes (and making sure the family is ok with that). I really enjoyed the chat with the This Warriors Life boys and it was a nice change from running solo. So at the end of the day the feedback is interesting, but I'm not particularly looking to build an audience, or even worse being 'captured' by what I think my audience wants.

I'd also encourage anyone else who is thinking of starting a pod, or a youtube channel, or anything else, to go ahead and do it. We can always use more good content in the community, and ideally I'd like to see it get to a place where if I stop recording one day no one really misses it because there's plenty of other good stuff out there (and which I can enjoy listening to while I work!).

Anyway, thanks again to all of you for your contributions on this site and elsewhere, and for your support.
I listen from Buzzsprout so not sure if those numbers are included in the stats. You may have even more listeners!

Have thoroughly enjoyed every one of your podcasts since I came across them and find yours and This Warriors Life a must listen. I really like the difference in tone between the two - yours being analytical and This Warriors Life quite lighthearted - and the couple of collaborations you've had were brilliant.

I'm sure you've got a good listener base on both sides of the Tasman, but over here in NZ we are pretty starved of impartial Warriors media coverage so you are certainly filling a gap. We used to have a dedicated sports radio station which gave some fairly reasonable coverage, but it folded early last year and since that time we now only get snippets (usually an interview with Tony Kemp) during a week nightly sports hour on a talkback station that's dominated by rugby union.

Your podcast is amongst the best sources of up to date analysis of the Warriors team dynamic out there.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
I also think we are starved of actual analysis apart from articles and players and coaches throwing around cliches actual analysis is hard to get outside fonzie , rugby league project and the rare piebold nrl game plan vid.

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings