Podcast Fonzie Talks Warriors - Ep 2.11

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018
Fwaarr! 2 hours 20 minutes of meaty Warriors goodness!!

Looking forward to hooking into this when I’m actually awake! 😍

EDIT: That comparison between Kodi and Walsh and their respective options on attack, really helps explain how much easier Kodi must be to read and why he appears to drift in and out of games once he’s worked out?

Last edited:

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
Tbh my favourite part of the podcast was the disdain showed for 'Hoops' can't stand the Murdoch group although i do enjoy Lara and ben.
Hahahaha
But seriously fonzie, amazing job as always. Really loving the pods and IMHO I really echo/enjoy/agree with your take on the squad and the players. You make me think about shit which is obvious for you like Kodi being able to only play or kick short that we all see, but to be able to observe and articulate it is amazing and I hear it and think oh shit yeah.. short guy short kicking game short passing game haha , but seriously enjoying these pods!

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Tbh my favourite part of the podcast was the disdain showed for 'Hoops' can't stand the Murdoch group although i do enjoy Lara and ben.
Hahahaha
But seriously fonzie, amazing job as always. Really loving the pods and IMHO I really echo/enjoy/agree with your take on the squad and the players. You make me think about shit which is obvious for you like Kodi being able to only play or kick short that we all see, but to be able to observe and articulate it is amazing and I hear it and think oh shit yeah.. short guy short kicking game short passing game haha , but seriously enjoying these pods!
Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it, to be honest I wasn’t sure many would push past that first 20 minutes of Brad and I asking each other random questions 😂

Reactions: HoRneT041 and AlexM

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Fwaarr! 2 hours 20 minutes of meaty Warriors goodness!!

Looking forward to hooking into this when I’m actually awake! 😍

EDIT: That comparison between Kodi and Walsh and their respective options on attack, really helps explain how much easier Kodi must be to read and why he appears to drift in and out of games once he’s worked out?
Yep, Kodi could be the player that benefits most from Walsh keeping defences guessing (aside from the wingers)

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018
Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it, to be honest I wasn’t sure many would push past that first 20 minutes of Brad and I asking each other random questions 😂
Glad you mentioned the first 20, some of your regular listeners might be put off by virtually no Warriors talk during the intro and might mistake this pod as the drunken ramblings of 3 blokes on the piss! lol

However, you guys really flip the “Warriors switch” to overdrive (funny I was thinking ‘beastmode’ lol) at around the 20 minute mark and there’s tons of great stuff throughout..

I admit I found listening hilarious at times as you talk Warriors while hearing fresh cans getting popped and stubbies clinking in the background haha Well done Fonzie and co once again 👍

• Haha
Reactions: Fonzie

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Will the Storm game be back at Mt Smart???

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018
Not another light show is it?..

Or cheerleaders jumping around in bomber jackets, gloves and scarfs to keep warm… 😌
I’m totally cool with that, as long as they don’t try slip in any cross dressers as a cost saving strategy? 🤤

kiwisincabo

Really enjoyed this chat, but I expect some people might get tired of listening sooner than we got tired of talking!
If we’re being honest, that 2hr(+) episode was easily the most frustrating this year. There has been some high quality insights from Fonzie leading up to this episode. Selfishly I feel weekly instalments would be far more relevant than fortnightly, compounding this was the fact this latest offering wasn’t worth the 2 week wait (in my opinion).

The game against the Cowboys needed to be dissected because it’s a game we should have won by 20-30 points. There were (atleast) 3 issues that should’ve been thoroughly kicked around from that game, particularly what happened between mins 20-41, and who were the responsible parties ... I’m guessing Fonzie would’ve done that well, instead we got a charity podcast where 2 guys that are nowhere near Fonzie’s level of comprehension got some free airtime, and the glaring issues from the Cowboys loss were not even discussed, namely; Katoa, Kodi and Coaching Staff’s situational awareness/atrocious recognition of fatigue & use of the bench, specifically where Katoa was concerned.

At first watch I thought Katoa was extremely disappointing & Kodi could’ve been better... second watch clearly showed; Katoa’s fatigue was directly & indirectly responsible for our capitulation between mins 20-40 (and indirectly Jazz’s sun binning). Kodi’s 5th tackle accountability was shocking, especially in the first 40, but above all else; the inability of the coaching staff to recognise the fatigue & lethargic efforts of Katoa & do something about it (while Ben Murdoch-Masila was getting splinters in his bum) ultimately led to the 22-6 halftime score line.

These guys (coaching staff) work with Katoa on a DAILY basis, he was very, very obviously fatigued, they had many opportunities to recognise this & sub him between mins 20-30, yet they left him on for the entire first half despite handling errors, obvious fatigue and 2 terribly lethargic cover defensive *efforts* that resulted in soft tries to the Cows. Coaching staff then further compounded this c@ck-up by replaced him at halftime & not getting the additional 10mins out of him after 1/2 time...which is the ONLY advantage you get for having left an obviously fatigued forward on the field for the entirety of the first half 🤦🏻‍♂️

Our problems run far deeper than just the questionable decisions & efforts some of the players are making on the field ... the situational awareness from the blokes in the box (who are not under fatigue !!) needs to lift considerably !!

Reactions: BeastMode

kiwisincabo

If we’re being honest, that 2hr(+) episode was easily the most frustrating this year. There has been some high quality insights from Fonzie leading up to this episode. Selfishly I feel weekly instalments would be far more relevant than fortnightly, compounding this was the fact this latest offering wasn’t worth the 2 week wait (in my opinion).

The game against the Cowboys needed to be dissected because it’s a game we should have won by 20-30 points.

As mediocre as our middles might be going (no disrespect to Tohu or Leeson) we were able to hold our own against a modest Cowboys pack missing Taumololo.

There were (atleast) 3 issues that should’ve been thoroughly kicked around from that game, particularly what happened between mins 20-41, and who were the responsible parties ... I’m guessing Fonzie would’ve been all over that normally, but instead we got a charity podcast where 2 guys that are nowhere near Fonzie’s level of comprehension got some free airtime, at the cost of the glaringly obvious issues from the Cowboys loss not even discussed.

Issues; Katoa, Kodi and Coaching Staff’s situational awareness/poor recognition of fatigue & use of the bench, specifically where Katoa was concerned.

At first watch I thought Katoa was extremely disappointing & Kodi could’ve been better... second watch clearly showed; Katoa’s fatigue was directly & indirectly responsible for our capitulation between mins 20-40 (+ indirectly for Jazz’s frustration & sin binning). Kodi’s 5th tackle accountability was shocking, especially in the first 40 (even more-so when compared to Jake Clifford’s excellent red-zone kicking game, particularly in the first 40), but above all else; the inability of the coaching staff to recognise the fatigue & lethargic efforts of Katoa & do something about it (while Ben Murdoch-Masila was getting splinters in his bum) ultimately led to the 22-6 halftime score line.

These guys (coaching staff) work with Katoa on a DAILY basis, he was very, very obviously fatigued, they had many opportunities to recognise this & sub him between mins 20-30, yet they left him on for the entire first half despite handling errors, obvious fatigue and 2 terribly lethargic cover defensive *efforts* that resulted in soft tries to the Cows. Coaching staff then further compounded this c@ck-up by replaced him at halftime & not getting the additional 10mins out of him after 1/2 time...which is the ONLY advantage you get for having left an obviously fatigued forward on the field for the entire first half 🤦🏻‍♂️

Our problems run far deeper than just the questionable decisions & efforts some of the players are making on the field ... the situational awareness from the blokes in the box (who are not under fatigue or prone to emotional *brain-snaps*) needs to lift considerably if we’re to be any chance of giving the Top 8 a shake before Roger departs !!

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018

The game against the Cowboys needed to be dissected because it’s a game we should have won by 20-30 points.

As mediocre as our middles might be going (no disrespect to Tohu or Leeson) we were able to hold our own against a modest Cowboys pack missing Taumololo.

There were (atleast) 3 issues that should’ve been thoroughly kicked around from that game, particularly what happened between mins 20-41, and who were the responsible parties ... I’m guessing Fonzie would’ve been all over that normally, but instead we got a charity podcast where 2 guys that are nowhere near Fonzie’s level of comprehension got some free airtime, at the cost of the glaringly obvious issues from the Cowboys loss not even discussed.
Hi mate, I expected some of my listeners would have that reaction - this was (deliberately) a more wide ranging light hearted chat, which some people seem to have really enjoyed and others less so. Just on the other guys on the pod, one of them is Will Evans, a very well regarded rugby league author and publisher of (amongst other things) 'Warriors 25: A History of the NZ Warriors', and I believe he is also the official historian of the NZRL. So in terms of credibility and profile etc his audience likely saw me as the charity guest on his podcast!

I do however plan to move back to more detailed match review podcasts in the back half of the season; its what my pod has always been about.

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings