General Fixing the Warriors - Fans Edition

Well here we go simply put
"Keep the Faith"
Faith and hope are totally different.

Faith is believing without any proof. So that's probably what we need to do ATM if we want to feel good.

Hope actually requires some evidence that what you hope for is possible. Which right now we don't have...

F@#k don't know were my post went but basically what the Warriors need to do is to be WARRIORS and not WORRIERS they also need to go out and buy shit loads of intelligence, heart and competitive spirit and maybe they should start going to Church to encourage some real Faith.
Also signing Jesus might help!!!

• Haha
Reactions: pantera nhl
Isn't it about time we sat any new recruits down with their Managers, Parents and Warriors staff and get told what the deal is.
i.e. You are going to be getting huge wages and in return we expect you to turn up for training on time, be fit, do extras and if you don't perform you will be sent to reserves until you prove that you are good enough to get back into the prems.
The Parents and Managers should then be told that if their boy does not behave or gets dropped we expect you to reprimand him.
I hope when you say new recruits you mean the young guys coming into the development system and not established first graders. Listing their parents sound like that is what you mean. Anyway I agree with laying the standards down at that level for what in means to be a professional and what the club expectations are.

For any established first graders we aim to bring in. If talk about expecting them to turn up to training on time they'd probably like WTF I'm not joining that side I've been getting flogged by my current coach, watching my diet and getting a lot of extras in and if I miss x amount of tackles my coach tells me to go see the NSW Cup coach for the week.

I agree with you on standards. But I sure hope our first grade side isn't turning up late for training sessions otherwise we really are screwed. Otherwise Doyle might have to start politicking to get Auckland's traffic fixed along with the new stadium.;)

The dropping of players we need a squad that doesn't feel entitled to their place in first grade and a coach to be big on standards and taking action when those standards aren't meet.

After we signed Nathan Friend there was an article about how when the club meet him at a café as part of the recruitment he was reviewing the menu for what fitted in with his diet. There were other little comments for recruits over the years about their attitude.

Reactions: Freddie Futler

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
League: Shuffling team won't work now
5:00 AM Sunday May 29, 2016
Hugh McGahan
SCCZEN_A_280316NZHNRLEAGUE11_300x200.jpg

Manu Vatuvei of the Vodafone NZ Warriors in action against the Newcastle Knights. Photo / Nick Reed.

The Warriors say they have drawn a line in the sand after their limp defeat to the Raiders last weekend but the question is why it took so long to get to that point.

It was easy to see some time ago things were in a bad way at Mt Smart and that drastic action needed to be taken.

Coach Andrew McFadden has indicated some big-name players face the chop for Saturday's game against the Broncos and there need to be many changes. It can't be a case of shuffling and dropping a couple to the bench because that's not a strong message.

The changes need to either be plentiful in number or in the 'quality' of players.

I've heard some say Simon Mannering is vulnerable but that would be unfair. He was coming back from a painful injury against the Raiders and might not have been the Mannering we know but he has a proven record and is a great competitor.

Ben Matulino is another possibility and that would be a good call. His numbers just aren't stacking up right now and, given his size and ability, he should be leading from the front. It's what he was doing in previous years but not this season and the benchmark he should be aspiring to every week is that set by Storm forwards Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor.

Dropping Shaun Johnson would be a huge statement but it's not one I think McFadden should make. Johnson has struggled this season but I can't see them winning at all without him.

What he needs to do is take the ball to the line more, in the way Johnathan Thurston, Daly Cheery-Evans and Mitchell Pearce do and Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns before that. Just because Johnson is a half, it doesn't mean he should always be protected and if he put his body on the line and was prepared to get knocked about, it might not only improve his confidence but show others the need to do the same. You can't always wear a dinner suit. Sometimes you have to don the overalls.

I was interested to hear the Warriors players held their own honesty session mid-week. I'm a bit dubious about them, particularly given some can be offended by what is said in the sessions and then work behind the scenes to undermine others. In my experience, they don't always work with Polynesian players but there comes a time when everyone in life has to eventually face up to and be honest about criticism.

McFadden needed to have eyes and ears in that meeting to know what was said to act on things. It's time for more bad eggs to depart, and not just players but staff. McFadden needs people around him he can trust to deliver the message when he's not around.

It's what has happened in the Kiwis around culture and values following the 2013 World Cup. You know that if Stephen Kearney had been away the week they learned of the latest prescription pills saga, his assistants would have done exactly the same thing and not selected those involved.

We'll probably see a reaction from the Warriors next weekend, and it will be just like them to beat the Broncos, but it's what happens the following week and the week after that that really counts.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11646820

Reactions: Dunedin warrior
Try telling a polly mum or any ones mum their kid sucks arse an see who gets the jandle
But yeah maybe family involvement is the answer ,

Sorry off topic a tad here mods, please delete if required. THE JANDLE STORY

Man that brings back a funny memory for me......this is a little of topic, but dam the jandle thing has to be told

So i'm in my car ( mid 80s ) shooting down the road to the local takeaways, in Morningside Auckland, spot a park on my left, just down from the food bar, pull in, jump out, and head towards the food bar.

As i'm walking away from the car I hear this tooting and yelling, look over to my right, and there is this car with an island women hanging out the window, screaming something out her window in her own native tongue, that I couldn't work out. But what ever the hell she was saying, she was pissed off !!

Think to myself WTF and keep walking. Got my hot chips and burger headed back to the car, then I see this rather large island women leaning against my car, hands folded looking straight through me.....i'm like WTF are you doing leaning on my car lady !!!

WACK !! WACK !! before I could figure out why she was leaning on my car, she had hit me twice with her jandle !! lol, i'm like stunned man, who the fuck is this women and why is she hitting me ( HARD ) in the head with a fucken jandle ???

Turns out, she had been waiting for a break in the traffic on the opposite side of the road, with her indicator on, trying to get the very same park that I had just cruised into, and she wasn't happy about it. I would have been about 16 or 17, and I have never messed with an island women ever again because of it. Would love to know what she was saying to me that day, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter know. But man was she not happy, and that jandle bloody hurt !!

Just on Mt Wellington's post above,
So if a FG player gets dropped to the second grade, do they get a pay decrease?? Or do they still get their same money??

Because if there are no consequences for them being dropped from first grade, then what's the point really at the end of the day. IMO the only way to send a message is through their wallets by fines, or lesser pay if you get dropped from first grade.

Sorry, i'm just not sure how it works money wise.

Was thinking about the Warriors over the weekend and maybe its time to officially say we are rebuilding.

Get rid of senior players, coaching staff, players that are not helping the environment and start again.

I would work around:
Johnson
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Everyone else is expendable.

Looking at the 2016 end of contracts (details from zero tackle):

James Gavet (re-sign)
Charlie Gubb (re-sign)
Ben Henry
Ata Hingano (re-sign)
Shaun Lane
Ali Lauitiiti (re-sign if he has another year left in legs)
Mason Lino
Sione Lousi
Ken Maumalo
Marata Niukore
John Palavi
Upu Poching (re-sign)
Jeff Robson
Jazz Tevaga (re-sign)
Henare Wells
Jonathan Wright

I would also try and ship:
Ben Matulino (2017)
Thomas Leuluai (2017)
Manu Vatuvei (2018)

Squad for 2017 would look something like:
James Gavet (re-signed)
Charlie Gubb (re-signed)
Ata Hingano (re-signed)
Upu Poching (re-signed)
Jazz Tevaga (re-signed)
Matthew Allwood (2017)
Blake Ayshford (2017)
David Fusitua (2017)
Ryan Hoffman (2017)
Shaun Johnson (2017)
Jacob Lillyman (2017)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (2017)
Nathaniel Roache (2017)
Ligi Sao (2017)
Toafofoa Sipley (2017)
Bodene Thompson (2017)
Albert Vete (2017)
Solomone Kata (2018)
Sam Lisone (2018)
Tuimoala Lolohea (2018)
Issac Luke (2018)
Simon Mannering (2018)
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (2018)

Now I think its pivotal to find a new coach for 2017, give him the above team and some cash to bring in the players he would like.

We need a vision of what team we want to be and then we try and make signings that fit. The idea of 'rebuilding' is that it lowers expectations and gives us a bit of time to fix combinations.

Example if in the future I would like a halves pairing of Lolohea and Johnson I would play them no matter what (similar to what the Tigers have done with their young halves). No chopping and changing, no Lolohea utility value, if Roger Tuivasa-Sheck went down I would put Fusitua over there. Lolohea can train during the off season at 6 and can play 6 when the season starts.

If I was running things I would target the following players:

Dean Whare
Curtis Rona
Gerard Beale
Sosaia Feki
Shaun Kenny-Dowal
Sam Perret
Jason Taumalolo
Sam Moa
Manu Ma'u
Alex Glenn
Sio Siua Taukeiaho

My potential team would look something like this:

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Rona (New Signing)
3. Kata
4. Whare (New Signing)
5. Fusitua
6. Lolohea
7. Johnson (c)
8. Lillyman
9. Luke (c)
10. Mannering
11. Ma'u (New Signing)
12. Hoffman
13. Lisone

Bench
Tevaga
Thompson
Sipley
Moa (New Signing)

Tactics
New co captains of Luke and Johnson.
Mannering to prop might not make too much sense but I hate how he stifles our attack at 13. I would like to play a game where the 13 can link both sides of attack and I think Lisone can be that player.
I am also looking for skillful back rowers who can offload, would like to move on Hoffman as well but I thought he might be good for the professional environment I am hoping to build.
Ma'u would be an awesome signing, hits hard in defense, can offload and has a nice running game. That's what I am looking for in my back rowers the ability to offload and play second phase footy.
Whare is an absolute must and I would go overs to bring him over here. I would like him to sure up that right side defense and mentor the likes of Kata and other centers coming through.
Fusitua and Rona (if we could get him) on the wings, I like speedy, tall, skillful players that can finish.
Bench wise I am looking for impact.

Last edited:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Was thinking about the Warriors over the weekend and maybe its time to officially say we are rebuilding.
Great post. Didnt mean to laugh at your post but this line cracked me up. We been rebuilding every year for the last 5 years. As you say this year is no exception...

Reactions: OMG

drunk_monk

Contributor
Great post. Didnt mean to laugh at your post but this line cracked me up. We been rebuilding every year for the last 5 years. As you say this year is no exception...

Mate it took 20 years to build the tower of London, but once built it wasn't going anywhere. So my prediction is we will take another 15 years to finish building, but then we will win multiple grand finals back to back.

Just make sure you remember to tell me in 15ish years how right I was.

Sauce: my ass, he's been talking a lot lately.

Haha!

I just want the club to own it and say look we are rebuilding and the club are trying things to change the culture, development of our players and this is our 5 year plan.

I don't like the we expect a top 8 or top 6 finish or we demand 4/6 wins in the opening rounds, to me that just adds more pressure and could potentially influence Cappys decision-making with a win now mentality. If he had the freedom to not worry about the result because you are building towards something better then you might have seen Lolohea develop at 6 or the silly 6 dropped from first grade for longer than a game.

and could potentially influence Cappys decision-making with a win now mentality.
just think about that statement you put out there, now open your eyes and realise we are 13th with a 4 - 7 win/loss record. There is very little danger in Cappy developing a win now mentality.

Just saying:(

Haha!

I just want the club to own it and say look we are rebuilding and the club are trying things to change the culture, development of our players and this is our 5 year plan.

I don't like the we expect a top 8 or top 6 finish or we demand 4/6 wins in the opening rounds, to me that just adds more pressure and could potentially influence Cappys decision-making with a win now mentality. If he had the freedom to not worry about the result because you are building towards something better then you might have seen Lolohea develop at 6 or the silly 6 dropped from first grade for longer than a game.
Changing the culture means changing the players and or coaching staff IMO.

People with bad attitudes generally don't like the idea of changing themselves to become better human beings. That's why they have bad attitudes...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
No way they will ever come out saying that I reckon. Would drive most fans to despair after the shit we have had to put up with since 2012. Would lower memberships for sure...