Internationals First British RL Player to come out

Reaction score

Far Away Fan

Congrats to Keegan Hirst! In case anyone should dismiss this as nothing to see, know that just as with the former Welsh international rugby captain, Hirst had considered ending his life before finally getting round to coming out. But when all is said and done, it doesn't matter.

The full story is on https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-star-keegan-hirst-6260707

<<< Rugby League player Keegan Hirst is the first British professional in the code to openly say he is gay.

Respected prop Keegan, 27, reveals the secret torment of dealing with his sexualitywhile carving out a career in one of the world’s most macho sports.

Speaking exclusively to the Sunday Mirror, the dad of two tells of the moment he finally found the words to explain to his wife the reason they could no longer be together.

And he talks emotionally of the support he got, not only from her but also from his rugby team-mates.

The 6ft 4in captain of West Yorkshire side Batley Bulldogs said: “At first I couldn’t even say ‘I’m gay’ in my head, let alone out loud.

“Now I feel like I’m letting out a long breath that I’ve held in for a long time.”

Speaking for the first time about coming to terms with being gay, Keegan adds: “I had a wife and kids. I’ve been a builder, doorman, worked in factories – I play rugby.

“I tick every macho box. How could I be gay? I’m from Batley for goodness sake. No one is gay in Batley.”

And he reveals: “The only time I felt free of the torment was when I stepped on the rugby pitch. Now I feel free." >>>

There is much more in the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Is it first time in the world for Rugby League? During someones career that is...

Reaction score

Danpatmac

wasn't roberts out?

Reaction score
The Cheap Seats

The Cheap Seats

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Awesome! It's great that there is a culture in league that people feel free to be themselves.
The reality is that there are people of different nationalities, ethnicities, genders, cultures, and sexualities that play our game at all levels, and contribute to this amazing sport.
I'm chuffed that we are a sport where being gay, is OK.

Still no openly gay All Blacks after over 100 years? Hopefully we can drag other sports up to our level.

Reaction score

adelaide rams

1st Grade Debut
Reaction score
Its pretty awesome reading the comments on here being positive. I am openly gay and absolutely fukin love the warriors and kiwis and sports in general i suppose not stereo typical for gay men. But i was reading the article on other websites and the amount of dribble and shit people said was disappointing. I never comment on here but felt like i needed to give credit where its due.

Reaction score
Stone

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Awesome stuff Keegan Hirst I applaud the man, it wouldn't have been an easy decision especially as the UK is generally not as tolerant on this issue as NZ is

As much as I respect Hirst for coming out the thing about this that really bothers me is that it shouldn't even be an issue / story anymore in 2015

Sexuality has no bearing whatsoever on a persons abilities or character & people who cant see that are simply scared, unevolved, highly bigoted, small minded homophobes imo

We have two openly gay men down at our gym, they are both excellent fighters & two of the fittest & mentally toughest guys I personally have ever met, but more importantly they are both genuinely kind men of great integrity & sound moral fiber, yet I have still personally seen both of them cop a ridiculous amount of discrimination from a relatively small but very vocal portion in & around the NZ MMA community

To both of their everlasting credit they take it in their stride & never lash out, it tends to be our team mates, myself included, who get angry on their behalf, the ironic thing is both of these men could take matters into their own hands & literally kill some of these dummies who give them grief if they so desired, but again to their everlasting credit they never do, in fact they both of them seem completely unfazed by it, because they usually just laugh it off or simply just ignore it altogether & in that particular respect they are much better men than I am

Again awesome stuff Keegan Hirst, I for one wish him all the best :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom