Post Match Final Trial vs Broncos Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
We looked fantastic with the ball. Having Tomkins gives us one extra player in the backline for every ball-playing movement compared to last year. Also very nice to have 3 playmakers.

I will reserve my judgment until I see us play sides with dominant forward packs. Apart from some very notable exceptions, the Broncos are mud up front. The pressure and intensity of round 1 is very different to the carnival atmosphere of a trial.

Some great signs though, whatever way we roll this year we will see us score some brilliant tries

In all fairness I think the bronco will be fighting to keep of the bottom half of the table .....not the team they once were
While that may be true....and the Trial nature of it needs baring in mind....it's the four points only that places this Warriors team among the best they have fielded at any time of a season in any given year.

That's a tackling machine.

Everyone performed and challenged for a position in the team including Ropati. Great performance. Quite scintillating attack. We shuld have scored those points though against that broncos outfit. Scared of Parra Round One, but we should be super excited about our season ahead. Can't remember too many silly errors although too many penalties.

Our recruitment for 2014 has been absolutely unreal.

How good were Townsend, Tomkins and Bukuya?...

Townsends passing game was absolutely sublime, Bukuya was a monster in defence and attack, and does anymore really need to be said about Tomkins?

Also, how good are our youngsters? Kata, Lolohea and Fusitua were are just about flawless (Kata's passing game was amazingly good).

That was a great team performance, Johnson,Tomkins, Townsend, Mateo, so much attacking threats and options, great organisation and best of all some brutal defense I haven't seen in a long time, I know it's only a trial but our players haven't gone into the opening match of a NRL season with huge momentum gained from the Nines and today's trial, always things to work at but that was a fantastic effort.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
MMMMM... as much as i want to collapse into fits of warrior hysteria, but i feel compelled to point out the broncos looked like a rabble.
Either they were treating it like a training run and refused to bring out anything they'll use in the season proper, or they'll be scrapping it out for 13th.
First half game plan seemed to be run it at Johnson, at least that was a coherent thought, better than anything they could came up with in the second half.
Parker in the front row? Going into a season with zero proven halves? Should just fire the coach now and be done with it.

But enough about them, oh the warriors!!!

Can't remember ever seeing a warriors team pass the ball with that width and accuracy, it'll be harder to sling those balls on a wet August night at Mt Smart, but the wings and centres should score a hatful of tries this year, with the defense caught watching ST and Shaun Johnson.

Speaking of centres, Carlos Daley looked good! Helps when the opposition don't not run a structured move at you all afternoon, Neilsen had better be practicing his distribution, if he holds the ball when its on outside again this year, the natives will get restless.

Elliot has put his thinking cap on around the forwards this offseason, running big men like Lousi and Ben wide at the halves and centres is an easy way to get metres, Palavi shows why the warriors should never be compelled to go buy tradesmen like Ben Lowe, they should always be able to find some prime beef to bludgeon in the middle of the field for 30 mins a game. Having him starting games and bringing on the free-wheeling mateo to add a 4th playmaker to the mix is a good dynamic.

Fusitua looks an strong backup winger, dropped one high ball, but lots of other good things.

Yeah, it's just a trial, but what you want to see is hope for the season and evidence that they've improved from last year, got all of that and more.

Last edited:
MMMMM... as much as i want to collapse into fits of warrior hysteria, but i feel compelled to point out the broncos looked like a rabble.
Either they were treating it like a training run and refused to bring out anything they'll use in the season proper, or they'll be scrapping it out for 13th.
First half game plan seemed to be run it at Johnson, at least that was a coherent thought, better than anything they could came up with in the second half.
Parker in the front row? Going into a season with zero proven halves? Should just fire the coach now and be done with it.

But enough about them, oh the warriors!!!

Can't remember ever seeing a warriors team pass the ball with that width and accuracy, it'll be harder to sling those balls on a wet August night at Mt Smart, but the wings and centres should score a hatful of tries this year, with the defense caught watching ST and Shaun Johnson.

Speaking of centres, Carlos Daley looked good! Helps when the opposition don't not run a structured move at you all afternoon, Neilsen had better be practicing his distribution, if he holds the ball when its on outside again this year, the natives will get restless.

Elliot has put his thinking cap on around the forwards this offseason, running big men like Lousi and Ben wide at the halves and centres is an easy way to get metres, Palavi shows why the warriors should never be compelled to go buy tradesmen like Ben Lowe, they should always be able to find some prime beef to bludgeon in the middle of the field for 30 mins a game. Having him starting games and bringing on the free-wheeling mateo to add a 4th playmaker to the mix is a good dynamic.

Fusitua looks an strong backup winger, dropped one high ball, but lots of other good things.

Yeah, it's just a trial, but what you to see is hope for the season and evidence that they've improved from last year, got all of that and more.
I like all this right now but that last sentence. Last year was a strange one with massive losses and massive wins. The warriors have always struggled with consistency. I'll wait until round 6 or 7 to see if we have improved.

Also the Ropati / Locke jokes are well played out, there will come a time this year when we'll be glad to have them to step in after injury, instead of relying on U20's.

Much like a pre-season for the players, these trial match threads are a chance for posters to chance their arm and try new moves. And, much like the players. posters may find they get benched faster in the season proper than in the trials.

Good game to watch; Tomkins looked ultimate. Any winger he links with is in for a bundle of tries.
Did anybody else feel we looked more crisp and direct with Shaun on the bench? May have just been me, but I though our attack was less compressed and flowed with more pace during the last 20. Of course the Broncos were pretty beat down by then.
The Broncos were utter rubbish but we didn't allow them a chance either.

One of problems I find with Johnson, is he likes to be involved too much and sort of be the show a bit that was one of the un-doings in the 9s. Today he didn't always get that. He did what he had to do but everyone else got more involved, put their hand up and took that 'let me be the man' from Johnson and he actually in my mind did a bit better. Spreading out the load and working together is a much better fit for him. Yes, from time to time he can do his individual thing and that'll be great but there's a time and place for that, the rest is all about team work. If Johnson can get a handle on that and get used to it, that he's not the 'only one in existence' mentally it'll be fine. He almost needs to be reminded this is no longer 2011 where he could virtually do nothing wrong.

Everyone played really well today, the scoreline is massive but if we take that away and just focus on how the team played it was good. They did all the things they needed to do just right, defensively, offensively. Doesn't matter if its a trial or a regular season game b doing every area of your game right can result in many more positives. Yes the Broncos were horrid, but it wasn't like they didn't have a chance they did get some chances but didn't take them. Perhaps if they did the scoreline might look different and we'd be talking about the game differently.

It's a nice win, enjoy it of course.

Reactions: snake77 and Sup42
Did anybody else feel we looked more crisp and direct with Shaun on the bench? May have just been me, but I though our attack was less compressed and flowed with more pace during the last 20.
I think this is true of the Warriors period pre the arrival of ball players with more than a drift side ways and a double pump pass.

Tis ok though. Now we have out numbered Johnson with Ball players that will try shifting before running.....he will come into line and only drift when it's polish to an otherwise organised attack.

Otherwise Tomkins and Townsend will just tell him to knock that shit off and run the plays.

I think what I was most amazed, surprised and elated with from that trial, is that EVERYONE stepped up. I think that can only happen when everyone understands the structures in place, and knows very well their role within that structure. I guess, even with the short preseason they had, they were able to cover a lot of ground in terms of getting everyone on the same page... what a difference having the 20s, NSW Cup and NRL team using the same structures...

The Eels had a good win yesterday, aparantley Hopoate had a stormer of a game.
I hope not I'd had to see a repeat of last years first round. :(
Revenge would be sweet though.;)
Nielsen having limited game time and Hurrell coming back over weight worried me a bit as one of them needs to contain Hopoate depending on which side the Eels play him on.

Comparing this trial last year to this year. last year we had a new coach still sorting out how we were going to play and we did a lot of passing in the forwards moving the ball from the ruck. We dropped a lot of ball and made a lot more mistakes.
This year was a we rolled out a well organised team and everyone seemed to know their role across the park; the player considered fringe players and the youngsters are stepping up looking like they wouldn't be a risk in first grade.

The key thing to compare is the opposition; Brisbane this year didn't offer much in attack and their defence wasn't the greatest either. Hopefully they get their act together especially as they are going to be on most Friday nights when everyone has had a week without footy and are keen to watch a game; watching the same team get flogged every Friday isn't terribly exciting.

I think what I was most amazed, surprised and elated with from that trial, is that EVERYONE stepped up. I think that can only happen when everyone understands the structures in place, and knows very well their role within that structure. I guess, even with the short preseason they had, they were able to cover a lot of ground in terms of getting everyone on the same page... what a difference having the 20s, NSW Cup and NRL team using the same structures...

Definitely. I know a few people have grumbled about jobs for the boys in relation to Jones' appointment as NYC head coach. Well at least we know this: Jones will serve the Warriors NRL club and Matthew Elliot to the best of his ability.
He won't serve his own ego, or bitch and moan when his best get stolen for the NSW Cup Warriors. If there's one scenario I want somebody to be a Yes Man in, this would be it.
I hope Elliot runs the ship tactically and from a selection POV for both the NSW and NYC teams. EVERYTHING needs to be designed to serve the purpose of winning an NRL premiership.

Watching the Dragons last night with their new spine I was a bit worried how our guys would gel. We seem to be ahead of them in terms of rebuilding from some lean years. Hopefully round 2 shows that.

The addition of Townsend and Tomkins seemed to help the structure in attack; it would be interesting to hear from anyone at the game on how vocal the team was on the field.

Reactions: Est95