Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Wonder if the travel gets to some blokes more than others. Not many have stuck around here, in good times or bad.

Big difference between finishing a game and driving 30 mins to your family and travelling 7-8 hours back home every second week.
I had a similar thought when the Aussie media put out the flight time for all the teams. And we were 100+ hours and some Sydney teams were about 12

Hi team. Long time reader, first time poster.
A lot of the chat seems to be about how we're going to replace AFB. Looking around the comp, I don't think there's anyone that we could get who could fill the role we need up front, and – more importantly – the style of play Webby is developing for us. So I think we need more than just an experienced big bopper like Klemmer. We need someone with good hands and footwork. Someone with a good motor. I think it's time we utilised Agar's connections to lure a top English middle to our shores. The next Burgess, Ellis or Thompson. I feel like there could be more of that kind of talent available to us there, than in Australia at this point in time. Does anyone know of someone who could fit that bill?
Welcome officially to the forum Anton.

Klemmer to Warriors (+650 / 750K) - Luai to Tigers
AFB to Dogs (-1.1 Mil) - Max King (player swap) to Warriors (+500 / 600K)
or
AFB to Dragons (-1.1 Mil) - Blake Lawrie (player swap) to Warriors (+500 / 600K)

So AFB for Klemmer and King/Lawrie. I'm strangely ok with this. Overall gain.
Reckon Klemmer would be unlikely being from Isaac moses stable.

Trying to think outside the box.

Why don’t we say. “Hey dragons, you loan us Lowry or Molo for 2024. And we’ll give you exclusive signing rights for 2025. You just take over AFB’s contract”

Clearly 2024 is a massive season for the Warriors as it’ll be the last run for a few crucial players. SJ probably gone, AFB probably gone and Tohu getting old. Also who knows if RTS with actually carve up (I’m sure he’ll be fine). But I don’t see 2025 being as successful as 2024. Why not use all the leverage we have for this season.

Then we’ve got all year to sign and/or adjust our priorities in regards to both AFB and SJ. Also looking at replacing Tohu with a full chequebook.

Tupouniua staying at roosters for 3 more years, they retaining the players they want- not Manu yet though. Adam Reynolds signed for 2025, not convinced 2024 is necessarily the end for SJ if they still pushing. Interesting with Reynolds though, they must be getting nervous with Mam and Walsh not we signed. If Luai’s being offered the money he is, these two must be fielding big offers too.

We are now going to have to start to go back to our development pathways which in the past have been neglected for some time.

It is the only way.

I'm not a pessimist but I am a realist and I truthfully do not see this current squad winning a premiership.

But the current crop of development players look to be some of the most exciting we have seen in a long time, and we have every reason to believe the structures are being put in place to identify more.

Penrith won the first of their 3-peat in the 8th year of development focus - this is where we need to be.

Juniors
Messages2,344
Today at 2:07 AM
#5,616
I asked the question of Dave Riccio if we were in for AFB on the back of Moyza and Tracey leaving and thus creating cap space - he answered it on the Tele NRL Podcast and I was quite enthused by his answer.
He said he expects we’ll make a decision on whether to pursue AFB in next week or 2 and that Moyza and Tracey going gives $600k in cap, plus we had some space already, so finding space shouldn’t be an issue…. Throw in a trade, and it’s on I reckon!
If it was a no, Riccio would have just shut it down. The more he spoke, the more it sounded like it could be on - but that might be my wishful thinking. Interested to see if anyone else heard the podcast and interpreted it differently.

Juniors
Messages2,344
Today at 2:07 AM
#5,616
I asked the question of Dave Riccio if we were in for AFB on the back of Moyza and Tracey leaving and thus creating cap space - he answered it on the Tele NRL Podcast and I was quite enthused by his answer.
He said he expects we’ll make a decision on whether to pursue AFB in next week or 2 and that Moyza and Tracey going gives $600k in cap, plus we had some space already, so finding space shouldn’t be an issue…. Throw in a trade, and it’s on I reckon!
If it was a no, Riccio would have just shut it down. The more he spoke, the more it sounded like it could be on - but that might be my wishful thinking. Interested to see if anyone else heard the podcast and interpreted it differently.

Ignoring the usual suspects (Fotuaika, Utoikamanu, Thompson, Neame etc.) who are sadly unrealistic, one of those Sharks forwards is probably the best level of player we can get. Better than whatever the Dragons or Dogs could send our way if there was a straight-up swap at least.

BHU and Hunt, while I like them, are actually older than AFB is. Rudolf would be a fan fav, but he literally already signed with us and didn't want to come before he even got here. Kaufusi on the other hand could be worth a look?

It is the only way.

I'm not a pessimist but I am a realist and I truthfully do not see this current squad winning a premiership.

But the current crop of development players look to be some of the most exciting we have seen in a long time, and we have every reason to believe the structures are being put in place to identify more.

Penrith won the first of their 3-peat in the 8th year of development focus - this is where we need to be.
I agree, it would take some very serious injuries to the top teams for us to get over the line. Not impossible but unlikely. It's going to be years before the pathways are giving us the talent to do it though. What's critical is continued finals footy for the next few years to build some mana and momentum. When the next SJ comes through they need to be coming into a much better team and culture than what happened post 2011, what a waste. Imagine that youngster showing up for us today.

14 kids picked up professional contracts from keebra this year which is pretty amazing.
We got 3 of them…

IMG_3859.jpeg
IMG_3858.jpeg
IMG_3857.jpeg

Ignoring the usual suspects (Fotuaika, Utoikamanu, Thompson, Neame etc.) who are sadly unrealistic, one of those Sharks forwards is probably the best level of player we can get. Better than whatever the Dragons or Dogs could send our way if there was a straight-up swap at least.

BHU and Hunt, while I like them, are actually older than AFB is. Rudolf would be a fan fav, but he literally already signed with us and didn't want to come before he even got here. Kaufusi on the other hand could be worth a look?
Apart from Zyon Maiu’u we have limited props coming through with much hype, I think we could use this opportunity to get a couple of props that will be apart of the squad for the outgoing players in the later stages of their careers and also the new wave of players coming through the club. Perhaps an experienced one would be handy to drive training and standards but if Tohu is sticking around, he could oversee that. Sounds like he’s a bit of a lazy trainer too though.

Gees the Aussie media are doing my head in over AFB. I know it’s the off season and he’s a big click bait story, but they are talking like he’s a free agent. “Dragons and bulldogs leading the race” etc we hold all the cards here! They are also talking like any player in return for us will just be a token take what you can get type player. Again we hold all the cards!
I’d like to think we can actually come out better off.
He’s met with the Tigers now. Stefano and Ice’s combine contacts are with around $1.4m. Swap for both of them, then tigers have an extra $400k to throw at Luai

Gees the Aussie media are doing my head in over AFB. I know it’s the off season and he’s a big click bait story, but they are talking like he’s a free agent. “Dragons and bulldogs leading the race” etc we hold all the cards here! They are also talking like any player in return for us will just be a token take what you can get type player. Again we hold all the cards!
I’d like to think we can actually come out better off.
He’s met with the Tigers now. Stefano and Ice’s combine contacts are with around $1.4m. Swap for both of them, then tigers have an extra $400k to throw at Luai
Stefano and Papali’i or Pole and Papali’i I could get onboard with.

This is still the only way I see the trade being beneficial for us. Even then it still doesn't replace losing AFB.
No doubt AFB is one of the best props going around but think it also should be remembered we gave him a great platform for his great season, SJ had a play in many of his tries. His footwork is unbelievable and definitely going to leave a hole but I’ve landed at feeling like he’s doing us a favour. He wasn’t able to get us past where we finished this season and with a million dollar price tag we may not be able to add much that would move the dial. I’m not sure a prop at a million a season is sustainable, if we weren’t getting such good results from our spine for the money invested we would be in a tough situation salary cap wise. I think if we’re smart, this opportunity could really benefit us.