Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
There was always a really small chance of a "swap" occuring.

What we will get is a like for like replacement or a number of signings using AFBs money that Webby and Cappy are happy with.

I'm confident the new players are already identified/across the line
That’s how they played the Reece Walsh one, free to go once they found a replacement

Well there’ll definitely be some cash our way. Probably for the years he was contracted here. Still pisses me off, but what can ya do. Our window will be closing after next year if we don’t get a good replacement & there’s no SJ replacement. next year it is!
How does that work?
The pay us for example 100k for each year which also helps with our cap?

How does that work?
The pay us for example 100k for each year which also helps with our cap?
Perhaps so? He’s signed for 4 years at between $950k and 1$million a season apparently. Perhaps he gets the million he would have with us for 2025 and 2026 and then drops to $950k for his final 2 seasons?

Yikes, will be interesting to see the value of his contract then. The release of Moylan and Tracey would surely not free up 1m+ worth of cap.
If his reasons are genuine i.e keeping the mrs happy and family member with health issues he should be happy to take a small pay cut meaning he gets paid the same minus some or all of the amount the sharks pay us during the years he was contracted to us.
Eg. He was on a million here (just a guess) and goes there for 950k and the sharks pay us 100k effectively covering half the fees they are paying us.

Problem is he dictates the terms now, massive season for us and if we’ve got someone in the team disrupting the harmony then that can wreck it all. Hopefully he was true to his word when Webster said he was committed to the club for 2024.
There really needs to be something in contracts and rules about players purposely being cunts to get early releases.
Off course we could sit him on the sidelines or reserves but then that's the cap space getting wasted for the year.
Every other job has kpi etc. Surely if there's enough proof from management to the NRL they should be able to rip up his contract and the player not allowed to play again for the new team till was originally agreed on.
Will never happen with the players union and all.

There really needs to be something in contracts and rules about players purposely being cunts to get early releases.
Off course we could sit him on the sidelines or reserves but then that's the cap space getting wasted for the year.
Every other job has kpi etc. Surely if there's enough proof from management to the NRL they should be able to rip up his contract and the player not allowed to play again for the new team till was originally agreed on.
At least in that article he reaffirmed his commitment for 2024. Let’s just hope his word is worth something.

yeah, but also... the nrl contracting system has all these possible exceptions in it by design i think, it's how we get the excitement of a fluid player market without a draft or trade window system

If he is really returning to Sydney for personal reasons then its understandable but if he is leaving because he thought he wasnt getting paid enough then fuck him. He was already on good coin.He went up another level playing for us, not Manly. We dont need him. We have some good up and coming juniors ready to take his place.
No we don't have juniors ready to take his place, but that's besides the point. I'm pretty sure it's because of his wife and kids. Hopefully he doesn't fall back into that bad crowd he got away from when he came in the first place.

yeah, but also... the nrl contracting system has all these possible exceptions in it by design i think, it's how we get the excitement of a fluid player market without a draft or trade window system
I can remember when Tallis wanted out of the Dragons.
Had to stand down for a year before his release to the Broncos

Have been in discussions with the Sharks for a while….
Cam - we need something in return.
Sharks - hahaha no
Repeat x10
Cam - ok you can have him for nothing
From stating from the start that we won’t release him without adequate replacement, the fact we’ve released him for 2025 feels like we’ve probably already got something sorted. I had seen on their forum a week or so back that someone was approached from the sharks if they were interested in heading to NZ, which was declined. The source wouldn’t say who the player was but there’s also varying reports that we will receive compensation in some form, just not in what form. Likely monetary I reckon?

From stating from the start that we won’t release him without adequate replacement, the fact we’ve released him for 2025 feels like we’ve probably already got something sorted. I had seen on their forum a week or so back that someone was approached from the sharks if they were interested in heading to NZ, which was declined. The source wouldn’t say who the player was but there’s also varying reports that we will receive compensation in some form, just not in what form. Likely monetary I reckon?
I was leaning to a thank you card. But as it's the time of the year we may get a Christmas card.

We gave them a present.