General Fien to play for Kiwis

• Thread starter warriors4life_old
  • Start date

warriors4life_old

From www.stuff.co.nz

By STEVE KILGALLON

Nathan Fien, a former Queensland State of Origin hooker, will be called into the Kiwis' squad to defend their Tri-Nations title.

Fien, from Mount Isa in north-west Queensland, is eligible for New Zealand through his late Wanganui-born grandmother.

The 27-year-old Warriors player declared his allegiance to the Kiwis earlier this year, only for Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr to claim Fien did not meet residency qualifications.

Kiwis coach Brian McClennan is due to name 10-12 players from NRL clubs not in the finals for an initial train-on squad this week. It will include Fien, who had to convince McClennan he was genuine about the black jersey.

"Bluey wanted to know that if I made the decision I wouldn't be turning back. I definitely won't," Fien said.

"He wanted to know where I stood - the things I grew up with in Queensland, being the underdog, and always wanting to do the best for your team, related to what Bluey expected from his players in the Kiwis."

Fien said he began thinking about playing for New Zealand earlier this season and conversations with Warriors fullback Brent Webb, another exiled Queenslander who plays for New Zealand, convinced him. "We're not breaking any rules ... and I'd love to wear the jersey," said Fien.

"I'd put my body on the line and I am a man who won't turn back on a decision.

"People said I nearly made Origin this year, and that I could still go and do that, but this is where I stand now.

"This is my decision and if Queensland want me to play now, it is not the way I will go."

Fien, who is contracted for one more season at the Warriors, has a New Zealand-born daughter and, he relates proudly, his son has already learned to count in Maori. He wants to extend his stay here beyond 2007.

warriors4life_old

Good on him for declaring his allegiance to the black jersey, I'm looking forward to seeing him play for NZ at the end of the year.

warriorfaithful*_old

warriors4life said:
Good on him for declaring his allegiance to the black jersey, I'm looking forward to seeing him play for NZ at the end of the year.

Yeah me to. Good on you nathan fien for turning your back on aussie! :lol:

Northern_Union

Doesn't sit right with me...all these players that are suddenly finding there black and white soul.To play for the Kiwis you should be a Kiwi!

warriorfaithful*_old

danco said:
we badly need a hooker and we have to beat the aussies, good on him.

Especially after what they did to us in the last anzac test match, ITS TIME FOR REVENGE!!!! :)

Northern_Union

danco said:

Hohaia, Toni, David Faiumu with the cowboys are all top class hookers we don't need another....hell you could thrw in Latu in there as well.

Northern_Union

warriorfaithful* said:
danco said:

Especially after what they did to us in the last anzac test match, ITS TIME FOR REVENGE!!!! :)

If you think Fien will make a difference then we are in serious trouble.

If you lookl at that ANZAC test team and the one that won the Tri-nations there were a lot of players missing. When we have ALL our players available again you'll see a world beating Kiwi team again.

sliphgrrl_old

RS_Dragon said:
Doesn't sit right with me...all these players that are suddenly finding there black and white soul.To play for the Kiwis you should be a Kiwi!

so, what makes a person a kiwi? is it in your blood? is it your passport or birth certificate? Why shouldn't Fien play for the kiwis?

warriorfaithful*_old

sliphgrrl said:
RS_Dragon said:

so, what makes a person a kiwi? is it in your blood? is it your passport or birth certificate? Why shouldn't Fien play for the kiwis?

Yeah. I mean webby is playing for the kiwis,and dont get me wrong i love him playing for the kiwis but if he can then so should fien.

sliphgrrl_old

warriorfaithful* said:
sliphgrrl said:
RS_Dragon said:

Yeah. I mean webby is playing for the kiwis,and dont get me wrong i love him playing for the kiwis but if he can then so should fien.

I think the difference between webb and fien is that webb is now a NZ citizen, whereas fien is still an australian citizen. however, i agree with you, warriorfaithful

Northern_Union

To me Webb is a little different because he started playing first grade with a NZ club so he sort of made his way up through our club.
But with Fien, it just feels convienent to me to because he knows he probable wont get another Origin jumper so thinks he may as well make a play for a Kiwi jumper.

Sliphgrrl, a Kiwi is born and breed in New Zealand.

sliphgrrl_old

so, anyone who gives up their citizenship in one country to become a NZ citizen (or even qualifies for dual citizenship) is not a kiwi? i think that's pretty harsh and narrowminded, RS.

Northern_Union

lol i knew you'd take this stance Sliphgrrl but i aint changing my view on it just to make you feel better.
It's just the way things are, you belong to where you were born.

If NZ went to war and invaded another country, and i was conscripted.....i wouldn't go, simple as that. But if NZ was invaded i'd die for this land because i'm a Kiwi and this is my land and my people.

Sorry if you don't like my view Sliphgrrl but to be a Kiwi you have to be born here, but i guess people can become New Zealanders if they have been here long enough.

-Dr.J-_old

What a cool article. Shows he's really getting into NZ. I'm satisfied. Seems like he's made the 'full' move, even if he isn't a blood NZ'er. The aussies have a lot of blood NZ'ers in their ranks, I understand the nature of the sport so I have no beef with this one. The passion is evident.

*Kimmy*_old

Also another part of the story...

"Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah admits to a "gap in the squad and a gap in the salary cap" after the midweek sacking of one of the club's highest-earning players, Sione Faumuina.

He said the club would not hurry into a signing and had yet to consider making a late offer to Awen Guttenbeil should Castleford - the English club he has signed for for next year - be relegated.

But Scurrah said the Warriors had contacts in England and would consider moving to sign a player from a relegated English side."

warriors4life_old

RS_Dragon said:
To me Webb is a little different because he started playing first grade with a NZ club so he sort of made his way up through our club.
But with Fien, it just feels convienent to me to because he knows he probable wont get another Origin jumper so thinks he may as well make a play for a Kiwi jumper.

Sliphgrrl, a Kiwi is born and breed in New Zealand.

Fien was actually very close to getting an Origin cap this year, and he knows it, but he has declared his allegiance to NZ over Australia so I'm willing to accept him as being able to play for the Kiwis.

Northern_Union

Well eventually you might see a team of aussies playing for NZ against Australia....is that what you want?

warriors4life_old

RS_Dragon said:
Well eventually you might see a team of aussies playing for NZ against Australia....is that what you want?

I doubt that Fien playing for us will lead to an all Aussie-Kiwi team.

Esoj_old

well very good news I think. fien is a quality player and is really keen to play for the kiwis. he has a kiwi grandmother that is good enough for me.

the cayless brothers and other kiwi players have been over in australia most of their lives and yet play for the kiwis. fien imo is exactly the same he has been in australia but wants to play for the kiwis.

if we start selecting based on players being in new zealand most of their lives we would suffer in the international game.