Internationals Fien rejects accusation

2big2strong_old

QUEENSLANDER Nathan Fien has rejected accusations his decision to make himself available for New Zealand selection was based on selfish and insincere motives.

Mount Isa product Fien last week turned his back on Australia by switching allegiances to the Kiwis and declaring his availability for future Test matches.
The decision received a mixed reaction from some New Zealand players, with stars David Faiumu (Cowboys) and Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs) publicly questioning Fien's motives.

Asotasi was especially vocal, suggesting Fien simply wanted to play international football and potentially boost his market value.

Fien, who has a New Zealand-born grandmother, said yesterday he understood Faiumu and Asotasi's views and acknowledged not all players had been entirely supportive.

But the tough hooker/halfback vowed to prove he had made his decision for the right reasons.

"I accept what they've said and I agree totally with them," he said. "Your heart definitely has to be in it. I can tell you now that mine is.

"I won't be trying to jump ship if the opportunity comes up to play for Queensland again. I've made my call and I will be sticking by it. This is it for me."

Former Cowboy Fien played one State of Origin game for Queensland in 2001.

He said he had been inspired to represent New Zealand after joining the Warriors last year and being impressed by the camaraderie of the players.

His move follows that of two other Warriors – Cairns junior Brent Webb, who has played 11 Tests for the Kiwis, and Gladstone's Tony Martin, who declared his availability.

"I see this as being my home now and my daughter (Cleo) was born here last year," he said.

"I had been thinking about it for a while. Every time the Warriors boys come back from a Test they talk about how special their time in camp was.

"I really want to share in that team spirit."

Australia plays New Zealand at Melbourne's Telstra Dome on October 21 in the opening match of this year's Tri-Nations tournament.

Fien said he wanted to be chosen for the Test if his club form warranted it.

"We can't make the finals so I am going to have to be playing well in the last few rounds to have any chance," he said.

"I don't expect to walk into the squad. There are a lot of good players to pick from."

Fien said he was excited about tomorrow's clash against the Cowboys, with whom he made 91 NRL appearances between 2000 and 2004.

He said he enjoyed watching their charge to the grand final last year, especially after going close the previous season.

"I thought I would have stayed at the Cowboys my whole career but they wanted to move in a different direction," he said.

0,,5211659,00.jpg

Skinny_Ravs82

The way I see it he seems entirely keen on keeping his decision as he made it. But I too can understand where the other two guys are coming from in that respect as well.
He just needs to prove all those doubting thomases wrong and he will do that eventually. I've said before that it's not what you are on the outside but what you are on the inside.

sebastian_old

Hopefully by commiting to the warriors, as he's unsigned for 2008 he'll prove himself. Gee i hope we resigned Fien, Hohaia will probabaly be leaving & hes really been one of our best all year, i also think hes a lot better than last year, if he stays at hooker he could become a star & a leader.

*~*Fa'AhVaN*~*_old

did anyone c wen matty jons was makin fun of the haka on the footy show, i was sooo angry i was just about to throw the tv out the window! just thinkin about it makes me angry!!!!!

***edited for content***

warriorfaithful*_old

TUAKURA***AHVAN said:
oh and good on fien for wantin to play for kiwiz good stuff : )

Yeah i think fien playing or the kiwis is awesome!!!! And i believe is heart is behind the kiwi jumper.

jahc_old

TUAKURA***AHVAN said:
did anyone c wen matty jons was makin fun of the haka on the footy show, i was sooo angry i was just about to throw the tv out the window! just thinkin about it makes me F***** angry!!!!! F*** U MATTY U GAY MOTHER F*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Calm down man. I'm sure he was just having a laugh. The All Blacks perform the haka before every match and they're pretty much unbeatable now. How can you not respect that? Mattys' just having fun. The rivalry between our two countries is fierce on the field, but we respect each other deep down (Speaking for myself at least!).

Northern_Union

TUAKURA***AHVAN said:
did anyone c wen matty jons was makin fun of the haka on the footy show, i was sooo angry i was just about to throw the tv out the window! just thinkin about it makes me F***** angry!!!!! F*** U MATTY U GAY MOTHER F*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez don't be so precious.....it was funny!

Half the trouble with this country is that the Maori take themselves so seriously.

Skinny_Ravs82

lol yeah well I missed seeing that but I'm pretty sure Matty was just being silly and funny. After a while ya get used to his stupiditiy and just end up laughing at him instead of with him. So don't worry about it TKAV.

RS_I don't think it's just the maori's or any race in particular that takes themselves too seriously; I reckon in this day and age everyone has become far too cynical in their line of thinking. Sometimes it makes me wonder why everyone gets so uptight over silly things ya know? ;)

commonsense_old

cmon bro its matty johns. he is hilarious. i know the haka is a very special ritual but it was all in good humour.

anyway its kind of bad that asotasi and faiumu have gone public with their feelings. it just brings division into the kiwi camp.

if fien is genuine and his heart is behind the cause, the kiwis should welcome him with open arms.
i like to believe that fien genuinely wants to play for NZ.

Northern_Union

Maybe your right Skinny, maybe what i should have said is that due to political correctness everyone is taking themselves far to seriously these days and you can now no longer even have a laugh without fear of being called a racest or sexest or insensitive to others.

MiXmasterreece_old

on the one hand i think its a good thing that our kiwi boys are protective over the black jersey . On the other hand i think roy and the boys should not be so precious about it and shoot their mouths off at someone who will possibly land up playing next to them.

I spose atleast they care but i think nathans heart is in the right place on this occasion.

Warrioraholic_old

Dont take things so seriously guys, we have great respect for the haka and moari culture, but just as much as japan and india and other places do to. And yet we all make jokes about them all the time, some are distastful, some are just plain old funny.

*~*Fa'AhVaN*~*_old

lol, yeh true i need to take a jk sorry for the outburst, and yeh he is funny sometimes, i laugh wen he makes fun of ppl so i shouldv laughed it off : )