General Fien Gets In Touch With His Kiwi Side

Jesbass_old

From www.nrl.com:

Queenslander Nathan Fien says witnessing the spirit among Kiwis teammates at the NRL's Warriors has inspired him to make himself available to play rugby league for New Zealand.

Fien, 26, has turned his back on the chance of playing Origin for Queensland again by seeking an opportunity to play in the black and white jersey.

The Mt Isa native has a New Zealand-born grandmother, enough to make him eligible for selection to the Tri Nations champions for this year's series.

"I never even considered the possibility till I got over here and seen what spirit the boys had," says Fien, who left the North Queensland Cowboys for the Auckland-based Warriors at the end of 2004.

"Hanging around with the like of Rubes (Kiwis captain Ruben Wiki) and those type of guys, it's just something I thought I could be a part of and I thought I'd like to do."

The Warriors hooker, who played one Origin game with the Morons in 2001, says friends back home are supportive of his swapping Waltzing Matilda for the haka.

"They're all sweet. I spoke to some pretty close people to me and everyone's positive about it."

Fien move follows that of fellow Queenslanders at the Warriors Brent Webb, who has played 11 tests for the Kiwis, and Tony Martin, who indicated his availability earlier this year.

He made the decision after talking to Webb and Wiki and has spoken about it to Kiwis coach Brian McClennan.

"(McClennan) said at the end of the day I still have to perform to get picked," Fien says.

The coach welcomed the news.

"It's a big commitment by Nathan to make himself eligible, so it's a very big development for Kiwi football," McClennan says.

"We know he's a good player. People that follow Kiwis will be pleasantly surprised learning that he is eligible through heritage.

"It makes the pool of players even stronger so he'll be looked at just as closely as we would look at everyone that's available for the Kiwis team."

McLennan would not be drawn on Fien's chances of selection or what position he might fill if picked.

The versatile Fien has also played at halfback and five-eighth for the Warriors, potentially giving McClennan more options in positions where the Kiwis lack player depth.

"Obviously,I can play a few positions but, mate, they're the Tri Series champions - they're not just going to pick a bloke that just wants to play," Fien says.

"Hopefully if my form's good I'd like to think I was a chance."

Skinny_Ravs82

It won't stop the doubting thomases I'm sure but I enjoyed reading that. Esp since we got to hear what Bluey thought of it

commonsense_old

makes more sense than webby playing.

im just concerned with his motives. hope it really is bcos he wants to represent NZ not bcos he wants a shortcut to play rep footy.

but after this we fans cant say s**t when the next karmichael hunt comes around.

Skinny_Ravs82

commonsense said:

im just concerned with his motives. hope it really is bcos he wants to represent NZ not bcos he wants a shortcut to play rep footy.

but after this we fans cant say s**t when the next karmichael hunt comes around.

It would be a damn miracle if Hunt ever did that, but I don't see it happening. Ever.

warriors4life_old

If there is one Australian (apart from Price) who I thought would play for us one day he would be my last pick. Even when a reporter asked him last year "Are you starting to get a NZ accent?" he was like "Nah, still true blue Aussie mate."

commonsense_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
commonsense said:

It would be a damn miracle if Hunt ever did that, but I don't see it happening. Ever.

no i meant the next kiwi born player deciding to play for australia. hence the next karmichael hunt....

Skinny_Ravs82

LOL oh yeah whoops. My bad.
Well if that happened I guess we'd just have to shrug the shoulders and say:
"Their loss!"

playdaball_old

An article in the newspaper this morning suggests that his G/Mother was not born in NZ and he does not qualify via residency.

Be careful NZRL as this could blow up in your face ie - get his granny's birth certificate otherwise this will be Grannygate/Shane Howarth all over again.