Get it sorted now.
Make a 3 or 4 year offer, whatever he wants and make it appealing so he accepts and don't hedge our bets with an average offer.
You know the most underrarted part of his game is his non flashy stuff
He hits the ball up a swell as any of our props and makes the most effective tackles
And who the hell else in the NRL has his magic
We should be building the team around him, perhaps ME is doing just that.

We Give him a 3 year contract,and we release him 12 months into it because thats the way Scurrah does his busines hypothetically speaking that is ;)

Its contract year for Mateo already?!?! You know what they say about a player in contract year! This dude will win 2nd rower of the year come finals time! Good luck to what ever club he goes to after that . . . . . unless hes facing the Warriors then I he'll gets smashed to pieces. :)

The frustrating thing about Mateo is that he's so big and athletic that if he just hit the line a bit harder and put a bit more shoulder into his tackles he would go from enigma to world class- hopefully the Pennie drops this year

We have a bit of money though don't we? With all this talk of targeting big signings like Ranger, SBW, etc all of last year, why not chuck some free cash at Mateo.

Hopefully we perform well this year and he wants to stay on board

This article has me amping! Off the booze this year and since October, new diet has him fitter then ever and he has an eye on playing longer minutes. Has a comment about Bluey leaving him on the bench too long. Last sentence of the article is the best though...

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...mposed-booze-ban/story-e6frfgbo-1226566997297

We can only hope... It really does sound like he is in for a good year. Fighting fight, mentally driven, if he gets it all together he could be the best second rower in the game.

The other sentence I like is the fact that he worked with the halves over the Summer to develop combinations - THAT is what I want to hear.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
We can only hope... It really does sound like he is in for a good year. Fighting fight, mentally driven, if he gets it all together he could be the best second rower in the game.

The other sentence I like is the fact that he worked with the halves over the Summer to develop combinations - THAT is what I want to hear.
That article has only lifted my anticipation 100 fold. Think he's really gunning for a NSW spot. Looks like he's doing all he can to achieve that. Hope its not one of those stories that jinx a player! Wish him all the best...

Reactions: OMG
Didn't Matulino put himself under a similar ban last year? Geez, if Mateo can capture similar form to that our forwards will be looking pretty good.

After last yearI think they need to sit back and assess who immediately needs to be retained and move now on a number of players, Mateo is one, he provides that point of difference, X factor if you like. Another factor is he is durable, so may be less of a risk for a multi year contract. The others IMO are Locke, Hurrell, Johnstone, Matulino, Sam Rapira. I am not trying to denigrate any player not mentioned, this is a priority list looking 3-5 years ahead.
As the season progresses assess how some of the others are travelling, e.g. Louisi etc. It annoys me that the Warriors appear to start from scratch every year, there never seems to be a succession structure.

The other factor is player agents, these can be difficult to deal with, such as Khoder Nasser, they create a bit of trouble behind the scenes. Although they never seem to be around when a player gets in the shit.
That's pretty much the list of the best and most important future wise / long term. That's pretty much a stack of attacking players to build defensive players around.

If you were to make a list of defensive / solid reliable performers Melbourne ....it gets a bit harder to find long termers other than Mannering.....our best and only young /long term journey man style player ?

maybe that's why the club are so fond of hanging in there with Henry and Taylor.......hard to find the next Simon Mannering by virtue of defensive players often taking a while longer to prove they are stayers ?

The undisputed NRL champion of offloading in 4 of the last five years (2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012)

Y'know, this gets to me as much as the thought of him leaving. The undisputed king of offloads, and I don't think we've even come close to capitalising on that. Hopefully Elliot is looking at that facet of his game as something to build actual on-field plans around instead of relying on it like some sort of magic wand.

Reactions: Xfactor and OMG

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Y'know, this gets to me as much as the thought of him leaving. The undisputed king of offloads, and I don't think we've even come close to capitalising on that. Hopefully Elliot is looking at that facet of his game as something to build actual on-field plans around instead of relying on it like some sort of magic wand.
He only missed out on the 2009 season because of injury! Would love to see set plays running off Mateo. Cleary used it to great effect with Maloney and the Bulldogs did well with their forwards second phase play off short offlaods. Like I said in the original post, its underutilised and that needs to be addressed. Its like having a Ferrari and never getting it out of 1st gear...