Rumour Feleti Mateo To Panthers In 2014?

Great post Mt Wellington. I agree with you and think that he should be our top priority in re - signing. It could also help the club attract other Aussies to come and join the Warriors if they see players renewing contracts when they have other clubs chasing them. Hopefully others would see that it's not so bad living in NZ away from the Sydney media . Lifestyle isn't too bad and only a short plane ride home to see the rellies at Christmas.

I reckon Warriors management is "Moneyball-ing" our team. Rather than pay 400k for a 9/10 they pay 200k for a 7/10 etc etc.

Mateo is a brilliant player, and excelled under Cleary's offloading gameplan. Can't judge him on last year, as it's just easier to write Bluey and 2012 off. But he is a must keep. Yes we have other second rowers, but he is too good to just let go that easily.

Ill be stunned if Mateo resigns...more so because the Warriors will low ball him with a maggotty offer. But Scurrah will deny deny saying they did all they can and a another big signing is close...But BS. Cause they creme themselves over having a tackle bot back row with Henry,Mannering,Palavi,Bhana,Taylor etc

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Ill be stunned if Mateo resigns...more so because the Warriors will low ball him with a maggotty offer. But Scurrah will deny deny saying they did all they can and a another big signing is close...But BS. Cause they creme themselves over having a tackle bot back row with Henry,Mannering,Palavi,Bhana,Taylor etc
Hope not. Wayne Scurrah signed off on the last contract which at a reported $AU350,000 is alot more than the $AU280,000 he was getting at the Eels. IMO with Owen Glenn on board now, money wont be an issue. Owen Glenn and Eric Watson have numerous companies between them that can offer Mateo a third party sponsorship. I believe Watsons interest in Bendon helped retain Manu in a similar fashion. I also think ME will be gunning for him too. If Mateo has ME in his corner then the owners will move heaven and earth to secure Mateo. It just wouldnt make sense not trying to give the new coach the best possible team we can. IMO if Mateo leaves it will be for personal reasons such as wanting to be closer to family or chasing his Origin dreams...

Hope not. Wayne Scurrah signed off on the last contract which at a reported $AU350,000 is alot more than the $AU280,000 he was getting at the Eels. IMO with Owen Glenn on board now, money wont be an issue. Owen Glenn and Eric Watson have numerous companies between them that can offer Mateo a third party sponsorship. I believe Watsons interest in Bendon helped retain Manu in a similar fashion. I also think ME will be gunning for him too. If Mateo has ME in his corner then the owners will move heaven and earth to secure Mateo. It just wouldnt make sense not trying to give the new coach the best possible team we can. IMO if Mateo leaves it will be for personal reasons such as wanting to be closer to family or chasing his Origin dreams...

Is that the same big money they pretended to offer Bellamy..Warriors wont give top $ to Mateo to keep him

Reactions: Akkerz
Is that the same big money they pretended to offer Bellamy..Warriors wont give top $ to Mateo to keep him

I would be extremely disappointed if he were low balled at all, he is worth 350k at least imo especially if the cap gets increased. I've been a fan since his Para days when I lived in Sydney and watched him alot and was so glad when we got him. We should be offering him a 2-3 year deal

Reactions: mt.wellington

ToiletDuck

Administrator
I would be extremely disappointed if he were low balled at all, he is worth 350k at least imo especially if the cap gets increased. I've been a fan since his Para days when I lived in Sydney and watched him alot and was so glad when we got him. We should be offering him a 2-3 year deal

I'd expect he'd be after 3 minimum. A 2 year deal which expires when he's 30 won't be of much use to him.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I'd expect he'd be after 3 minimum. A 2 year deal which expires when he's 30 won't be of much use to him.
Minimum 3 years. I wouldnt be surprised if he takes the same or less salary for 4 years. This may very well be his last NRL contract. At 30 he may have enough juice in the tank to go a couple of years in the ESL...

Minimum 3 years. I wouldnt be surprised if he takes the same or less salary for 4 years. This may very well be his last NRL contract. At 30 he may have enough juice in the tank to go a couple of years in the ESL...

His skill level and size means he could keep playing at NRL level at over 30 I reckon. But yeah I agree with both you boys he will be after 3 years at least and I have no issues giving him that. Guys like Price and Wiki we have signed well past 30 and they performed great for us until the end of their careers.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Yeah if he can stay fit and not turn into a fatty then he should be able to continue into his 30's. His bargaining power will be well down though once he's 30+, I'd be surprised if he signed anything less than a 4 year deal.

Don't mean to be picky but...

Resign = Voluntarily leave a job or other position.
Re-sign = to sign again; especially : to rehire (as an athlete) by means of a signed contract.

Its a very important '-' given the context.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Don't mean to be picky but...

Resign = Voluntarily leave a job or other position.
Re-sign = to sign again; especially: to rehire (as an athlete) by means of a signed contract.

Its a very important '-' given the context.
We all know what he meant!!!​
nitpicking-monkeys.jpg

To be honest...

I actually don't mind if players move on. It's their lives, we don't own them. As professionals they are almost required to do the best for themselves while also doing their job to the best of their ability.
I reckon he has played well, done his job, if he wants to move on then so be it. It doesn't really change my opinion of a player if they move on.

This this this this.....at last, someone talking commonsense when it comes to re-signing a player.....It would be nice, but the club has to use commonsense when it comes to wages. And I am sick of people saying becuase Owen is super rich, wages are not an issue, well it is due to the salary cap, 3rd party deals are an issue as well as I beleive there maybe limits on these.

If he is curretnyl on $350k, based on his performances and the increase in the cap, I would be happy if we offer him $450K over 3 to 4 years.

After last yearI think they need to sit back and assess who immediately needs to be retained and move now on a number of players, Mateo is one, he provides that point of difference, X factor if you like. Another factor is he is durable, so may be less of a risk for a multi year contract. The others IMO are Locke, Hurrell, Johnstone, Matulino, Sam Rapira. I am not trying to denigrate any player not mentioned, this is a priority list looking 3-5 years ahead.
As the season progresses assess how some of the others are travelling, e.g. Louisi etc. It annoys me that the Warriors appear to start from scratch every year, there never seems to be a succession structure.

The other factor is player agents, these can be difficult to deal with, such as Khoder Nasser, they create a bit of trouble behind the scenes. Although they never seem to be around when a player gets in the shit.