General Favourite Album

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Total tangent here but one of my all time fav pieces of music is Carmina Burana: O Fortuna (no. 1) by German composer Carl Orff.

Simultaneously beautiful & terrifying ... gives me goosebumps every time .... if I was a pro fighter this would 100% be my walk out music

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Bit of an odd one I guess but this has always been my favorite album cover- idk why- it just says rock n roll to me.
View attachment 43762

Quite ironic because if u had never heard Neil diamond and only seen this cover you would be quite surprised when u dropped the needle and crunchy granola suite started playing.
Reminds me of sitting down to watch the Parker Joshua fight.

My Mum says "why are they singing sweet Caroline? that is from my days????

Quick rushed explanation to my seventy seven year old mum about viral old school sing alongs and sports crowds.

"but why sweet Caroline? that wasn't cool in my day????

• Haha
Reactions: Tragic and Defence

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Big Reggae fan.

Bob the Prophet. so many un believable songs.

The first reggae track I ever heard was as a child, Claptons version of I shot the Sheriff.

UB40 were monsters here. I thought they were ok for a Ska reggae band.

But I always ended up in the purest hardore versions of a genre, Peter Tosh, Lee scratch Perry and others.

Nyati bush Doctor spoke to me...I should have been a pot head. Legalize Marijanna down here in Jamaica....hard to argue with that.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Leslie West with Mountain was a favorite back in the early 70's. Mississippi Queen.

The album cover had a note on the back saying this record was made to be played loud.

Reactions: Sup42

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Big Reggae fan.

Bob the Prophet. so many un believable songs.

The first reggae track I ever heard was as a child, Claptons version of I shot the Sheriff.

UB40 were monsters here. I thought they were ok for a Ska reggae band.

But I always ended up in the purest hardore versions of a genre, Peter Tosh, Lee scratch Perry and others.

Nyati bush Doctor spoke to me...I should have been a pot head. Legalize Marijanna down here in Jamaica....hard to argue with that.

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
RIP Uncle Bob.

I have just about every album there is by Bob Marley & The Wailers & none of them ever get old.

But if I had to pick a fav it would be Talkin' Blues which is a live studio album recorded over a 2 year period which is intercut with a Marley interview.

This album has some previously unreleased gems & bc all the tracks are live one take recordings (except for the final track, I Shot the Sheriff, which is a concert recording) it has studio quality sonics with all the energy of a live performance.

Amazing album.

not all that glitters is gold half the story ain't ever been told

Last edited:

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
A few fun little facts about Uncle Bob.

Bob Marley & The Wailers only ever played one concert here in NZ.

It was at Western Springs, Auckland back in 1979.

Outside of the Caribbean NZ is the not only one of the largest consumers of reggae per capita, but also one of it's biggest producers & creators.

To put it simply NZ is one of the modern day epicenters of reggae in the world today.

No other modern day international recording artist has had quite the same impact & influence on the NZ music scene as Bob Marley & The Wailers.

Life is one big road, with lots of signs
So when you riding through the ruts, don't you complicate your mind

Reactions: Tragic and Defence

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Not an album but the sax solo in Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street is, at least in my opinion, one of the best instrumental sections of all time. That, and Mark Knopfler‘s guitar in Telegraph Road.

Last edited:

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Not an album but the sax solo in Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street is, at least in my opinion, one of the best instrumental sections of all time. That, and Mark Knopfler‘s guitar in Telegraph Road.

Alchemy was and probably still is one of my favourite albums. I could listen to that all day no problem at all

Reactions: Miket12

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
I always thought the sax on Baker Street was more a riff than a solo and that the only solo was the guitar...Says the Non-Musician Knowledgeably.

Agree about CC's solo on Jungleland. Absolutely amazing. Apparantly worked up over 12-13 hours, which to some music snobs means it's not art (I've read a review basically like "since the solo didn't flow completely formed right from Clarence's sax in real time, it's a lousy solo").

Incidentally, one music solo there's some discussion about is the solo on The Church's "Under The Milky Way". Some swear it's bagpipes, others say it's an E-bow. I love it either way.

As to The Favourite Album: Varies, but one left-field album I've always loved is Blue Sunshine by The Glove - Robert Smith (The Cure) and Steve Severin (Siouxsie And The Banshees), drugs and lack of sleep make for a very good album.

Also, Audioslave never got much love - mainly because Chris Cornell (RIP) couldn't do Zack de la Rocha's vocals well, in my opinion - but I really like their first album.

Showing my age (I blame having to listen to softrock 70s music on the radio a lot when I was kid and being in hospital/recovering from hospital etc, damn parents! :)), but I've come to appreciate the acoustic/electric guitar solos in Rod Stewart's "I Was Only Joking". They could have radio-edited the crap out of that song so only the solos remained and I'd be fine with that.

If you ever listen to "Victoria", by the Dance Exponents, there's a similiar type thing going on: The main riff/melody goes from being played on electric guitar to electric violin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence and Inruin

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Closer to home, Reef's "Place your hands" was a staple for Warriors for what seemed like years.

(and I was only joking about G'n'R's "Chinese Democracy" honest"

I don't think the Warriors have ever really had a great walk-on song. "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire is a great song, certainly, but it's not exactly inspiring once you get past the chorus and if you realised the tempo's kind of slow and a bit morbid.

The nadir was when some marketing doofus thought to re-make "Mambo No 5", which I didn't like anyway, as "Warriors Number 1!"

And I could go the rest of my life without listening to "Place Your Hands" - note, aspiring male singers, sing/shouting is fine, but when you draw out your words and sing significantly slower than is your norm, it Just. Totally. Sucks. See Toogood, J and his vocal in songs like "Comfort Me" and "Nothing" (album version is more obvious than live version, live version of "Comfort Me" is actually pretty good) for Kiwi examples of this.

"Chinese Democracy" I was pleasantly surprised by. The intro to CD needed to stick with the first guitar part after the voices come in, "Sorry" is just too up itself and overall you could say everything's that bit too overprocessed/re-recorded/manipulated (which is probably intentional?), but I still really enjoy it.

Last edited:
Melbourne Storm Central Coast Stadium, Gosford Rate Match

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings