General Mt Smart Stadium

Can someone smarter than me explain the consortium to me?

A private group of rich people/companies paying for a billion dollar stadium at no cost to either central goverment or local ratepayers would have to be a world first no?

Am I just being overly skeptical about the genirosity on offer here, what's the angle?
I have always wondered why we don't sell off Eden Park for housing because it's not a great stadium and costly.
Stump up some money for a waterfront stadium along with private investment.

Transportation is not hard with rail from the south and ferries from the north.
Pity Carlaw Park was not utilized properly.My personal opinion is the Eden Park trust has too much influence for their own privilege

The article doesn't mention Mt Smart but it does talk about the possible future of North Harbour Stadium....

John Watson is delusional. It’s individuals like this that don’t allow common sense to prevail. Snd nothing happens for 5 years to the de time t if locals or sporting institutions.
We won’t get international matches’ - of course not. These will be played at Eden Park or Mt Smart. The Harbour Union only gets 2500 to NPC games. Boutique grounds as a whole are the way to go in NZ . Please get on with it and make it happen.

I have always wondered why we don't sell off Eden Park for housing because it's not a great stadium and costly.
Stump up some money for a waterfront stadium along with private investment.

Transportation is not hard with rail from the south and ferries from the north.
Pity Carlaw Park was not utilized properly.My personal opinion is the Eden Park trust has too much influence for their own privilege
Many agree.
I wonder why Eden Park trust don’t sell off and become partners in any new stadium build which would surely be more beneficial to their longevity?

I might be wrong but I think they're reluctant to let go for selfish reasons.
My brother in-law is an ex rugby league player who through business connections has a mate on the board of the Eden Park trust.
Every time there's a big event there he gets a call to offer him a free ticket to the corporate booth.

Eden Park sucks for many reasons….the bad far outweighs the good. Too commercial and lacks character and atmosphere. All the dough they pumped into that place and they couldn’t put a roof on it, and Mt Eden and immediate surrounding RESIDENTIAL suburbs pretty much shut down.

No point driving and parking (non existent) unless you wanna walk half a marathon to get there.

Ridiculous place to have an international stadium, wonder if it was the same baboons that “planned” our roading infrastructure & didn’t think to have a train that runs out to the airport…..they got their priorities right with a stop @ Kingsland though. Just a coincidence obviously.

The last 2 times I drove past there this week on Sandringham Rd there was a huge traffic warning sign reminding me to watch out for cricket balls. Distractions galore & I thought I was either gonna crash or a cricket ball was gonna rocket through my windscreen spilling my coffee & at the very least meeting God for the first time.

Maybe they should watch out for cars.

Pampered & ignorant lot they are.

I love Mt Smart.

Innovative and actually feasible!

Temporary stadium in central Auckland could buy time for long-term solution to venue debate​

Auckland’s central-city Viaduct Harbour is one of five sites being considered as the possible location for a 20,000-seat temporary stadium, which organisers believe could be built in time to host major sports events next year.

The consortium advocating for a temporary stadium argue it would allow the city’s leaders the necessary time to consolidate long-term plans for a major stadium in the city, which could include extensive renovations of Eden Park, demolishing and developing other sites (such as Mt Smart Stadium or North Harbour Stadium) to raise capital or building a new permanent venue from scratch.

It is thought five different sites are being considered for the temporary stadium, with three of them on the waterfront, including one at the end of Wynyard Point, near the site of Team New Zealand’s boatshed from the last America’s Cup.

The group behind the proposal have their own funding and would not require financial support from central or local government to build the venue. However, it’s understood they would need the council to provide the land for the site.

It is understood the backers of the temporary venue have told city leaders it could be constructed within six months, meaning it would be ready to host the first match of Auckland’s new A-League team in October 2024.

American billionaire Bill Foley was last week awarded an A-Leagues licence to launch a men’s team in the 2024-25 season and a women’s team in 2025-26.

The temporary stadium consortium would also need support from the Warriors and Blues, with league, rugby and football the cornerstone codes for the ground. It’s understood further non-sporting events would be required to make the site viable.

The team behind the proposal includes Karl Budge, the former tournament director of the ASB Classic, who went on to become the Asia-Pacific Commercial Director and Head of Event Development for Russell Coutts’ SailGP series.

The stadium would be built using modular construction, meaning entire stands could be shifted and used at other sites, then brought in and added to the stadium for bigger crowds.

Simon Bridges, chief executive of the Auckland Business Chamber, welcomed the latest contribution to the city’s stadium debate.

“Auckland needs events, and events need stadiums.

“Auckland also needs happy workers: people have the choice of heading off to Sydney – or Saudi for that matter – so anything we can do to bring life and activity to the city is crucial.

“The key thing will be to make sure the interim solution – a temporary stadium – doesn’t become the permanent solution.”

In April, Eden Park released details of plans for a roof on the venue.

DE776581-AC16-4980-964E-3F896D39D1BA.jpeg

Stadium 974 for World Cup Qatar 2022 was primarily built using 974 repurposed shipping containers. Photo / Getty Images

Ahead of last year’s men’s Fifa World Cup football tournament, hosts Qatar constructed a temporary venue, called Stadium 974, which was made from 974 recycled shipping containers.

The Qatar venue, which hosted seven matches in the tournament, was designed by Fenwick Iribarren Architects in such a way it can be readily dismantled and reassembled elsewhere. It received a four-star rating from the Global Sustainability Assessment System.

Can someone smarter than me explain the consortium to me?

A private group of rich people/companies paying for a billion dollar stadium at no cost to either central goverment or local ratepayers would have to be a world first no?

Am I just being overly skeptical about the genirosity on offer here, what's the angle?
Because the land would still be owned by the Council (or one of their subsidiaries), the consortium would be paying little or no ground lease for the site.

I might be wrong but I think they're reluctant to let go for selfish reasons.
My brother in-law is an ex rugby league player who through business connections has a mate on the board of the Eden Park trust.
Every time there's a big event there he gets a call to offer him a free ticket to the corporate booth.
That's the sentiment I get from listening to posters in the know in here. It's definitely a fraternity. And the ABs have not lost there for so long I can see the sentimental value to the old boys. But I also believe that rugby is a tool for politicians and the media. When things go bad for them rugby is a guaranteed distraction. So they want to keep the old boys happy.

Temporary stadium in central Auckland could buy time for long-term solution to venue debate​

Auckland’s central-city Viaduct Harbour is one of five sites being considered as the possible location for a 20,000-seat temporary stadium, which organisers believe could be built in time to host major sports events next year.

The consortium advocating for a temporary stadium argue it would allow the city’s leaders the necessary time to consolidate long-term plans for a major stadium in the city, which could include extensive renovations of Eden Park, demolishing and developing other sites (such as Mt Smart Stadium or North Harbour Stadium) to raise capital or building a new permanent venue from scratch.

It is thought five different sites are being considered for the temporary stadium, with three of them on the waterfront, including one at the end of Wynyard Point, near the site of Team New Zealand’s boatshed from the last America’s Cup.

The group behind the proposal have their own funding and would not require financial support from central or local government to build the venue. However, it’s understood they would need the council to provide the land for the site.

It is understood the backers of the temporary venue have told city leaders it could be constructed within six months, meaning it would be ready to host the first match of Auckland’s new A-League team in October 2024.

American billionaire Bill Foley was last week awarded an A-Leagues licence to launch a men’s team in the 2024-25 season and a women’s team in 2025-26.

The temporary stadium consortium would also need support from the Warriors and Blues, with league, rugby and football the cornerstone codes for the ground. It’s understood further non-sporting events would be required to make the site viable.

The team behind the proposal includes Karl Budge, the former tournament director of the ASB Classic, who went on to become the Asia-Pacific Commercial Director and Head of Event Development for Russell Coutts’ SailGP series.

The stadium would be built using modular construction, meaning entire stands could be shifted and used at other sites, then brought in and added to the stadium for bigger crowds.

Simon Bridges, chief executive of the Auckland Business Chamber, welcomed the latest contribution to the city’s stadium debate.

“Auckland also needs happy workers: people have the choice of heading off to Sydney – or Saudi for that matter – so anything we can do to bring life and activity to the city is crucial.

“The key thing will be to make sure the interim solution – a temporary stadium – doesn’t become the permanent solution.”

View attachment 4584
Stadium 974 for World Cup Qatar 2022 was primarily built using 974 repurposed shipping containers. Photo / Getty Images

Ahead of last year’s men’s Fifa World Cup football tournament, hosts Qatar constructed a temporary venue, called Stadium 974, which was made from 974 recycled shipping containers.

The Qatar venue, which hosted seven matches in the tournament, was designed by Fenwick Iribarren Architects in such a way it can be readily dismantled and reassembled elsewhere. It received a four-star rating from the Global Sustainability Assessment System.
Why do we need a temporary stadium?

I honestly can't see the point of it.

If we are going to have a waterfront stadium then let's do it properly and do it right.

View attachment 4584

I think this is one of those 'fool the ratepayers' tricks. I don't think this is serious. Why would either of the Blues or Warriors go there? Most of our home games exceeded 20k this year. Modular design is backward. You're supposed to use foldable chairs. Not bring chairs back from somewhere else. How ghetto.

But how does the large south Auckland fanbase get to the stadium and back? They may want to get rid of cars from the CBD but the practicalities of that isn't going to work. The idea is great but there are some pretty significant downsides too.
They come by train. Have you not noticed the new train stations from Panmure to Papakura? I know Kiwis love cars. I love mine too. I'm just realistic that this is the way they want it. No mercy here in Hamilton. They wiped out a whole parking building by putting reserved signs up for DHB that weren't being used. They have arseholes sitting in parking lots just waiting for someone to forget to pay for parking. They put massive ugly plant pots and weird concrete structures on the main arterial routes into town so nobody can park there any more. Don't even mention the speed bumps everywhere.

They come by train. Have you not noticed the new train stations from Panmure to Papakura? I know Kiwis love cars. I love mine too. I'm just realistic that this is the way they want it. No mercy here in Hamilton. They wiped out a whole parking building by putting reserved signs up for DHB that weren't being used. They have arseholes sitting in parking lots just waiting for someone to forget to pay for parking. They put massive ugly plant pots and weird concrete structures on the main arterial routes into town so nobody can park there any more. Don't even mention the speed bumps everywhere.
They may want them to use trains but there is no way they can handle that volume of people going in to the city and back for a major event like a Warriors game.

They may want them to use trains but there is no way they can handle that volume of people going in to the city and back for a major event like a Warriors game.
I really don't see what you're talking about. Have they changed the train plan? I might be overtired. Can you please elaborate where the problem is?

Much more commute to the CBD daily.
Much more travel by train to Eden Park for All Blacks and the other concerts they have.

A Warriors game will be nothing
Also much more parking (paid) in the city then Mt Eden. No noise restrictions after a certain time for concerts.
I love Mt smart due to living 10 mins away but if they are going for a new stadium, waterfront is where it should be.

If we are going to have a waterfront stadium then let's do it properly and do it right.
- It will be cheap - in the 10’s of millions rather than the billions.
- it can be pushed through as ‘temporary’ navigating a whole lot of planning and gold plating that a permanent venue would need
- like the ‘temporary’ waterfront cloud, it will still be there 20 years later
- it’s waterfront and CBD near the night life - where we want it.
- it’s a small stadium rather than the premium national stadium (Eden Park)
- it bypasses the arguments around competition with Eden Park
- fast build for the soccer franchise

So cheap, easy, right place and doable for a broke city council and government?

Gets us through until the port vacates the land and someone wants to do it properly in 10-20 years time?

Not the best solution and postponing the big decisions around Eden Park, etc but I doubt a billion dollar waterfront stadium will ever be financially viable.

Thought I would share an idea for a stadium I had years ago that fixes the issue of purpose built rugby/league/football grounds being too small for cricket/afl and vice versa.

Have retractable seating on the sidelines.
In the same way most nz basketball stadiums retract their seating for other events, but on a much larger scale.

Then if only a small crowd is needed for a rugby sized field, have large billboards that retract from the roof that hides the empty seats at the back of the stand. So even a small crowd of 5000 or less would still have atmosphere.

The roof would also be fully retractable to allow shelter or fresh air when needed.

For a cricket game you would also get the added bonus of being elevated even in the front row, a bit like baseball stadiums.

- It will be cheap - in the 10’s of millions rather than the billions.
- it can be pushed through as ‘temporary’ navigating a whole lot of planning and gold plating that a permanent venue would need
- like the ‘temporary’ waterfront cloud, it will still be there 20 years later
- it’s waterfront and CBD near the night life - where we want it.
- it’s a small stadium rather than the premium national stadium (Eden Park)
- it bypasses the arguments around competition with Eden Park
- fast build for the soccer franchise

So cheap, easy, right place and doable for a broke city council and government?

Gets us through until the port vacates the land and someone wants to do it properly in 10-20 years time?

Not the best solution and postponing the big decisions around Eden Park, etc but I doubt a billion dollar waterfront stadium will ever be financially viable.
I get your reasoning, but this is how everything good for the citizens of Auckland gets forgotten and stopped. Sir Doug Myer Robinson said we needed this stuff in the 60s. 2023 and we still can't get it right.

Ok I've had some sleep and see what you're saying. One train track one way will get overloaded. Good point. But I believe the ARC's plan is to increase the number of trains and loop them around at the station, so you've got still only one track, but multiple trains arriving within the hour. Remains to be seen if this works or not, but if there's a will, there's a way.

Also buses will be used. Ferries. You're still right though. A lot of work to be done.

Article today from Stephen Joyce indicating councils will be focusing on the basics in the future and specifically:

‘the council once again indulged in flights of fancy about expensive new stadiums or shifting the city’s port to who knows where, while at the same time musing aloud about cutting rubbish collections from weekly to fortnightly to help balance the books.’

Joyce is well connected in the new government and I get the impression a stadium funded in any way from Auckland or central government is not going to happen any time soon after we’ve gotten so debt ridden.

Back