Where will the Warriors finish in 2024?

• 1-2

• 3-4

• 5-6

• 7-8

• 9-12

• 13-17

Results are only viewable after voting.
Our next step for 2024 is to reflect and challenge ourselves to be more like the Panthers and Broncos who are 20+ points better then 3rd and 4th at peak.

- the Panthers and Broncs have a team of fast reaction, high pace players. Across the whole park. We need dedicated speed training. This affects both sides of the ball and will be the only way to match (and stand up to) those elite attacks.
- the top teams try things on every play. We were good but limited ourselves by field position and used to many setting plays.
- expanding on above, there are players that are workhorses. Tackle bots. The top teams don’t have those, every player needs some x-factor while defensive competency is the bare minimum.
- the best teams can attack on both sides of the field. Whoever plays 6 needs to be able to set up our left side through structure speed and passing. A second SJ.
- contest our high balls - at least jump and put pressure on even if we don’t play for the ball. Simply to easy for the defence.
- a second prop/ big man. Power and pace to get parity against the top teams. We were exposed here.
- on playing faster - we are a relatively old team which works against most teams but we were blown away by the top teams. We need to actively bring in youth and have a plan to speed up our team (without letting standards slip).

Based on the above, to be a top 2 team we need:

- Ali Leiataua in the team ASAP and Halisima blooded and thrown in the deep end to be ready to play first grade while still a teenager
- Signing RTS And Pompey don’t fit the panther/ Broncos speed model and they need a LOT of speed and fitness training
- Metcalf is the best suited 6 but needs to operate in structure and massively improve his D.
- Curren needs to replace Ford starting
- A new signing (or junior?) needs to replace Barnett in the middle who struggled for lateral movement. Bunty is a stop gap
- Our fitness needs to go to an even higher level (to often players not back to marker after tackles letting them carve up our middle)

Lots for Webster to ponder. This is not a criticism of what he’s done with the cattle he’s had this year. He has made the most out of everything. Just forward looking for continuous improvement.

Would love to hear thoughts on what reggies will force their way in

Ali
Going
Roache
Zion
Demitric

Anyone got any of these guys playing more than 10 games?

Ale - where does he fit next year?

Anyone else coming through that might be ready. Maybe a real youngster that gets his 1 cap like a few this year, Halasima maybe?
Leiataua, Ale and Demetric will be regular 17 imo. Zyon Maiu’u and Halasima should get game time next year and could force their way in

Great season, more than anyone could have hoped for really.

Hope we continue to build on it next year, but my real excitement is the fact that we have grades at every level starting next year.

Matthews, Ball, Flegg, NSW Cup....

A lot of guys have stepped up this year, but in a lot of ways we're a bits and pieces side that have been brought together. A high floor, but low ceiling type of side. The stars of tomorrow are where our future is, genuine stars and gamebreakers who we would never be able to lure from Aussie clubs.

It's going to be fun seeing who lines up where in Matthews, Ball and Flegg, who stands out, gets pushed up a grade etc.

Might not pay dividends next year or the year after, but our future is bright.

A number of players had their best NRL seasons ever- a challenge for the coaching squad to ensure that they lift further - DWZ, SJ.
I wonder who will be in that coaching team.
It will be interesting to see how the Aussies adapt to living here over the off season?? Will they get home sick, wanting to return home … Volkman? Metcalf? Barnett?

Big and stupid mistake re-signing Pompey. Webster will pick him in the team next year and block Leiataua's first grade development.
Yea Pompey been rubbish for ages and they finally had the chance to part ways with him but no they decided to resign him because he had like 2 decent games.
I don't care how cheap he was, he still takes a spot in the top 30.

A number of players had their best NRL seasons ever- a challenge for the coaching squad to ensure that they lift further - DWZ, SJ.
I wonder who will be in that coaching team.
It will be interesting to see how the Aussies adapt to living here over the off season?? Will they get home sick, wanting to return home … Volkman? Metcalf? Barnett?
They survived last off season with the terrible weather. It will should be a lot better this summer. I think there has also been talk of a drought.

I'm not worried anyone will get homesick. You can't account for sick family members or anything outside your control.

The way the public embraced the side would help a lot.

This off season and trials will be interesting.

We will likely be debating TMM vs Metcalf again.

How does RTS develop into a centre.

Kicking from the other half would help. Webster said at the moment it's a nice variation but on the right Berry & DWZ led the kick chase. RTS would be good and details like that. If we can kick down either side we can target both opposition wingers and jam them in to either corner.

We need to get more plays going to our left hand side. We got one last night against the Broncos but that was off Johnson sweeping around to that side. We need that ball playing from the other half.

Creating more space from range so we can score some long range tries. Not saying this as it is more exciting more as we needed to get to the opposition 20 to work. If can score more from range it means we are can win close games late if we are behind, keep the defence guessing, also helps if we aren't getting field position.

I think if you add Leiataua who's explosive and the most skillful outside back I've seen at the club on a while, add RTS, Metcalf comes back and Ale and Sifakula make strides then we still have a very dangerous side!

Our record away this year was fantastic our home games were huge, it's all here already I feel. Unless someone falls on our lap like AFB did then it's coming from within.

Looking forward to next year all ready. We'll get a little better with our recruits, hopefully Broncos and Panthers fall back towards the pack a little with some of the talent they're losing, which hopefully means this time next year we'll be in with a better chance.

Hell of a year though. That last 20 minutes last night I was able to put my feet up, and really enjoy the end of our season. The result didn't go our way, but it was still really nice to reflect on how far we've come this year.

Well done fellas, hold your heads high

I think if you add Leiataua who's explosive and the most skillful outside back I've seen at the club on a while, add RTS, Metcalf comes back and Ale and Sifakula make strides then we still have a very dangerous side!

Our record away this year was fantastic our home games were huge, it's all here already I feel. Unless someone falls on our lap like AFB did then it's coming from within.

It will help for sure. Would like a Montoya upgrade to develop over the next year or two. Shame Sifa will miss the whole off season and I'm not sold on Ale progressing too far forward before someone else emerges to take his place.

Would be great for the bench to evolve too in that time frame.

Still remember the 2004 Dogs side. They were already a top team but then SBW and Asotasi made their debut that same year and took the team next level.

Excited to see our juniors take their chances when they come up.

We've got 11 guys off contract so it will be interesting to see who and which positions we prioritise. I do feel like it could be Ford vs Curran.

Metcalf could be No.6 by playoffs next year and be SJ’s replacement if he has another calf niggle, if he can stay fit himself, he only had like 2 months of development, would be another episode of our drama series before November on whether he signs on or not…

A developed Metcalf and RTS on one side is pretty threatening

When RTS and Berry get injured we will be s***ing on Kosi and crying where is Pompey lol, same overreaction after Panthers game. He as a backup to RTS, Berry and Ali next year is great for me

And ya throw that teenager prop in, we really need another big body against the top 2 teams

Also they’ve been super restrained on offloading, if Metcalf or CHT is around they should practice those hit and offload moves, it’s kinda our dna, probably ok to introduce it next year, since the systematic structure is memorized by this point

Well, that was my most enjoyable season ever as a Warrior fan, and that includes the Daniel Anderson glory years. Mainly because with Anderson, you always had a feeling that at some point it would implode. His level of intensity was only ever going to be sustainable for a few seasons. But under Webby, you sense that this is a long term proposition. He's perfect for the club, and the club is perfect for him.

That said, I think he would've learned a lot of lessons through the year. His bench management - particularly as the season went on - was confusing; playing Walker at 6 was probably a mistake; and his game plans seemed a little rigid. There wasn't much out-of-the-box when out-of-the-box might have been needed at times.

But he had a team largely made up of journeymen, all of whom he managed to elevate to their maximum potential. It was Bellamy-esque in it's simplicity and execution. And all of this from a first year coach. It's easy to forget just how inexperienced he actually is. It was put into stark context a few weeks back when both he and Ivan Cleary were interviewed before the Panthers game. Ivan was listed as having 400+ NRL games as head coach, Webby was barely into in 20s!

To resurrect the club from arguably the worst season in Warrior's history - when someone as congenial as Stacey Jones questioned the passion for the jersey - to the meticulously positive environment it is today took a uniquely upbeat, thoughtful, analytical, and player-first person. It was only through good fortune and lucky timing that we landed this guy. Now we need to lock him in for the next decade.

But there will need to be changes to take another big leap forward. As many on here have noted, we're short of speed and X factor. There are too many journeymen and not enough game breakers. Guys like Montoya, Pompey, Ford, TMM, and Bunty will need to be replaced for us to really challenge the top two teams - who were clearly yards ahead of everyone else this year.

Ali, Zyon Maiu’u, and Demitric look like the most obvious prospects from within the squad. Halasima will be a weapon in a couple of years (he's blessed with the same sort of balance and athleticism of a Jonah Lomu). Cameron George mentioned in an interview recently that if they need to go out and buy an experienced half in the next season or two, they will. Which makes me think that they're no longer looking at Volkman as SJ's successor. Not surprising if true. He's been underwhelming every time he's had an opportunity in the top grade.

I'll be interested to see who they bring in to replace Morgan. It'll be Webby's first internal hire, so we'll get a pointer on what sort of character he wants around the club. Between Webby, Cappy, and CG, the right people are now running the ship. So it's onwards and upwards for what should be an awesome 2024!

If we have the space, Luke Thompson on around 2 year 300k would be great. Doubt that's enough tho.
Would you consider moving Tohu to prop and starting Curran at 13 or vice versa. Not going to win the power game but with silky ball movement and short passes could really be something. Then a bench of Walker, Barnett, CHT/Mainu'u/Sikakula/Halasima (Thompson)
It's been a fantastic ride. Let's hope for another top 4 finish next year. Definitely have the squad too.

Back