Internationals Exiles sent packing

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I knew it was supposed to be on in the weekend but couldn't find any coverage. There is supposed to be a second game in a couple of weeks too. I hope Sky decide to cover that one.

Reaction score

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Replay of the game on maori channel tonight at 9:30.

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
A future Warriors signed player limping off with a season ending injury is not new and I think is actually a blessing in disguise lol. Price, Friend.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Not good for TL but now that he is fried.....might give Godinet a start next year, chances are he was never going to play firsts without this kind of Circumstantial opportunity

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Not overly happy with the Exiles game only having Maori commentary. Why can't they be like Sky and have a second commentary? I find it a little foolish that Maori TV have the rights to an English competition and play it with only maori commentary. Perhaps it is time for it to be moved to another channel or run dual commentary.

Reaction score
KingBubz

KingBubz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Not overly happy with the Exiles game only having Maori commentary. Why can't they be like Sky and have a second commentary? I find it a little foolish that Maori TV have the rights to an English competition and play it with only maori commentary. Perhaps it is time for it to be moved to another channel or run dual commentary.
Fully agree with you... Flicked over to watch a bit of the Exiles game at H/T of the Storm/Sea-Eagles game last night, watched about 20sec of it and gave up due to the commentary... Got no problem with them broadcasting in Maori but there needs to be dual commentary or another option for the likes of myself and others who cannot speak or understand Te Reo

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with the commentary being in Maori. Even though I don't speak it I leave it on, turn it down if it bothers you, besides do you watch so little live sport that you can't cope without someone telling you whats happening. Fanrrior you might be able to make some pocket money teaching everyone Te Reo.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with the commentary being in Maori. Even though I don't speak it I leave it on, turn it down if it bothers you, besides do you watch so little live sport that you can't cope without someone telling you whats happening. Fanrrior you might be able to make some pocket money teaching everyone Te Reo.
I have no problem with a Maori commentary on a game that has a specific relevance to Maori. This game has none. Domestic NZ league, by all means. But why exclude the majority of Kiwis from understanding the commentary? Offer both, or give it to another network.

Whats the relevence of how much sport someone watches? Is that some sort of "I'm better than you" statement? I watch plenty of sports, but prefer a commentary I can understand. There are many interesting and topical discussions and facts in a sport commentary, otherwise, why would they have them?

Reaction score

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Importantly was it a good game, been english just hope they can be competitive this year, with full strength team I think they should be

Reaction score

Danpatmac

just hope they can be competitive this year, with full strength team I think they should be
I was under the impression there was no 4nations this year as world cup next year?

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Haha, as tempting as it might be I won't be charging anyone here if they need help learning/understanding Te reo Maori. But i'm not enough of a saint to be refusing "donatitions" ;)

In regards to this topic I personally think it's a good thing they use the speak in Maori. According to this website Maori TV needs to do the following:

https://corporate.maoritelevision.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=hbi4EYrzHU4=&tabid=170
During prime time (6pm-10.30pm) the Māri Television channel will broadcast a minimum of 50 percent Māri language programming.

The Māri Television channel will broadcast a minimum of 60 percent Māri language across the schedule.

The Te Reo channel will endeavour to broadcast 100 percent Māri language across the schedule

The combined Māri language content during prime time for both channels will be 70 percent.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I have no problem with a Maori commentary on a game that has a specific relevance to Maori. This game has none. Domestic NZ league, by all means. But why exclude the majority of Kiwis from understanding the commentary? Offer both, or give it to another network.

Whats the relevence of how much sport someone watches? Is that some sort of "I'm better than you" statement? I watch plenty of sports, but prefer a commentary I can understand. There are many interesting and topical discussions and facts in a sport commentary, otherwise, why would they have them?
You mean like when Dale tells you about a players junior club, I thought you hated that sort of thing. It wasn't a statement in regards to anything about being better, just the game for me comes first the other stuff although helpful and sometimes interesting is secondary, besides I could hear the Jaws music start as I posted it, I could almost see the shark getting ready to bite.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
You mean like when Dale tells you about a players junior club, I thought you hated that sort of thing. It wasn't a statement in regards to anything about being better, just the game for me comes first the other stuff although helpful and sometimes interesting is secondary, besides I could hear the Jaws music start as I posted it, I could almost see the shark getting ready to bite.
So, your a troll?

I don't get why you break everything down to little things you think you know. You're damned right, I hate what Husband does. There is nothing wrong with the occassional fact about junior footy, but thats all he has. But Dale Husband isn't the only commentator I listen too.

There is a big difference between standing on the sidelines watching a game, or watching it on TV. I expect a commentary. It offers insights that I don't have, and it also gives information about things happeneing off-screen. I want it in a language I can understand. I realise they can't cater just for me, but I speak the predominant language in this country, so feel it is fair to expect an English commentary.There would have to be less than a hand full of people in this country who can only speak Maori and do not understand English. I get that they are trying to promote Te Reo, but it has got to be at the expense of a massive chunk of the league audience. That is why I never understood the reasoning behind Maori TV going for the ESL rights.

Reaction score

Danpatmac

So, your a troll?

I don't get why you break everything down to little things you think you know. You're damned right, I hate what Husband does. There is nothing wrong with the occassional fact about junior footy, but thats all he has. But Dale Husband isn't the only commentator I listen too.

There is a big difference between standing on the sidelines watching a game, or watching it on TV. I expect a commentary. It offers insights that I don't have, and it also gives information about things happeneing off-screen. I want it in a language I can understand. I realise they can't cater just for me, but I speak the predominant language in this country, so feel it is fair to expect an English commentary.There would have to be less than a hand full of people in this country who can only speak Maori and do not understand English. I get that they are trying to promote Te Reo, but it has got to be at the expense of a massive chunk of the league audience. That is why I never understood the reasoning behind Maori TV going for the ESL rights.
free market bro...

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'd assume the reason they go for the ESL rights is to promote Te Reo Maori to a wider audience. In the same way that they tried/did get the RWC rights. English may be the predominant language, but Te Reo Maori along with Sign Language are also our official languages.

On anither note, It peeves me off that sign language isn't taught in any of the schools I've been too :(

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Boy you sure told me.If you ever bothered to look they have the english commentary on Maori tv channel 19, for all the ESL games they do.

Reaction score
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Boy you sure told me.If you ever bothered to look they have the english commentary on Maori tv channel 19, for all the ESL games they do.
I have looked. But we are talking about the Exiles game specifically. I actually have virtually no interest in ESL, but the Exiles games are something I am keen to watch, but as I have said, I would like an English commentary. Perhaps I am not as learned as you are in the sport, but I need the commentary to keep my interest.

Top Bottom