Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I think people bagging Lussick and his resigning need to remember that Egan was bagged left and right around here for the best part of 2 or 3 seasons. Im not saying hes going to be one of the best hookers, but the kid is 23 and has 35 games under his belt. Hes durable, fit and has shown he can hang in 1st grade. Give him some time to develop while Egans body can hang in there.
100 percent. I mentioned that in the game day thread too. Egan was shat on but it took time for him to come in his game. Now look - one of the most important pieces of our squad.

Not saying Lussick will reach those heights, but he’s only got 30-something NRL game experience. Nothing wrong with keeping him on board to grow with the team.

They do.

Good signing. Not the finished product but he's all we've got outside SJ.

TMM does a job but he's probably got more utility value than outright halves potential.

Man I have no idea about our halves beyond this year.

I like Metcalf, but the thought of him leading the team around as our dominant half worries me.

Are we looking at one of the other halves at our club now to partner Metcalf or are we looking outside?

Does Webby sign SJ for one more year and have him on the bench a la Benji at the Rabbitohs? (For those clutch plays or when we're needing to create).

Either way, we've got a $1.7 mil burning a hole in our pocket between Addin and SJs money for next year, and 2 pretty big sets of shoes to fill

Honestly not sold on Mecalf at all at the moment. But the club is putting in a lot of time and effort into so must be seriously good signs behind the scenes.

I truly believe they see him as our SJ replacement in the 7 jersey
Yeah I’m the same. He could be a good player, just needs to learn how to tackle, kick, pass and create space rather than fill it.

As you say he must be doing some really good things behind the scenes. Maybe he just can’t put it into games yet. Hopefully the coaches can turn him into a good 6 but even if I put all bias aside and put him on a pedestal like others, I can not for the life of me see how he would ever make it as an on the ball 7.

Youre either having a laugh or youre new here. He was one of the most maligned players on this very forum, for his lack of dummy half running, service off the deck and in particular the pass back across the ruck that he has now perfected.

Anyway, my comment wasnt directed at you or anyone in particular, was merely a reminder that Lussick is young and growing into his game, much like other players weve all jumped on in the past.
Yep, it the was lack of running from dummy half (which to be fair he only started doing more of the last few seasons).

And his constant no look pass that didn’t fool anyone.

Same pass he used to lay on the Barney try vs the Sharks. Give the young fellas time and they will grow.

Yeah I’m the same. He could be a good player, just needs to learn how to tackle, kick, pass and create space rather than fill it.

As you say he must be doing some really good things behind the scenes. Maybe he just can’t put it into games yet. Hopefully the coaches can turn him into a good 6 but even if I put all bias aside and put him on a pedestal like others, I can not for the life of me see how he would ever make it as an on the ball 7.
You obviously didn't see his 2 passes on Saturday. One was perfect face cutout ball. Try in the corner untouched.
Then the tip on for what was a very near thing.

Man I have no idea about our halves beyond this year.

I like Metcalf, but the thought of him leading the team around as our dominant half worries me.

Are we looking at one of the other halves at our club now to partner Metcalf or are we looking outside?

Does Webby sign SJ for one more year and have him on the bench a la Benji at the Rabbitohs? (For those clutch plays or when we're needing to create).

Either way, we've got a $1.7 mil burning a hole in our pocket between Addin and SJs money for next year, and 2 pretty big sets of shoes to fill
There’s always Dylan Brown who has an option in his favour for about the next 10 years at the eels if none of our guys show they’re ready but I reckon SJ plays on provided he’s fit and healthy for next year at least

Hypothetically, If Sj retires at the end of the year. And lets say Egan is medically retired due to to many head knocks and injuries. Would we be happy with a spine of

Lussick
Metcalf
TMM
CNK

Also, minus our forward kingpin AFB and a aging backrow of Harris & Capewah?

Looking to the future and hoping players come right is cool & all.
But if we're forced by circumstance to have these "work in progress" young fullas run the ship, Are we confident they'll keep the ship afloat ?

Don't mean to be negative. Serious question. And wondering what the others think?
Sitting here thinking of our options for 2025 cos we won't have AFB & possibly SJ. Egan always injured.

David Long's suggesting experienced Warrior(s) might be restless if not getting game time in a couple of weeks or something, TMM likes his farm/hunting here but unfortunately I don't see anyone else fitting the description
He listed a handful of players potentially getting itchy feet but was really interested how he identified Ale and Tuaupiki having limited opportunities once Niukore and CNK. Just thought it interesting how he said Ale and not Bunty with both being off contract end of 2025 and both bench middles?

Hypothetically, If Sj retires at the end of the year. And lets say Egan is medically retired due to to many head knocks and injuries. Would we be happy with a spine of

Lussick
Metcalf
TMM
CNK

Also, minus our forward kingpin AFB and a aging backrow of Harris & Capewah?

Looking to the future and hoping players come right is cool & all.
But if we're forced by circumstance to have these "work in progress" young fullas run the ship, Are we confident they'll keep the ship afloat ?

Don't mean to be negative. Serious question. And wondering what the others think?
Sitting here thinking of our options for 2025 cos we won't have AFB & possibly SJ. Egan always injured.
I wouldn't mind us putting an offer to Jonah Pezet from the storm. He has looked great in the first two games. Only 21, strong kicking game, stuck behind Munster and Hughes, off contract end of 2025.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind us putting an offer to Jonah Pezet from the storm. He has looked great in the first two games. Only 21 strong kicking game, stuck behind Munster and Hughes, off contract end of 2025.

It's funny you would say that, because my hope is Pezet lights it up, and then the Storm have to decide whether to let him go, Munster go, or, ideally, Hughes go.

Basically, for Pezet to pull what Fa'alongo has to Papenhyuzen.

Roll into 2025 with SJ or CHT and Metcalf; then once we get Nas in, he can tell Jahrome all about how Webby is so nice to him, and then we get a 31 y/o Jahrome Hughes for 2026, as he comes into his halfback prime. One of the biggest pipedreams this thread may have ever seen hahaha