NRL NRL Expansion

They’re marketing it as ‘South Island’ rather than Canterbury, quickest way to alienate the rest of the South Island is to be too Canterbury centric.
Comparison I can think of is the Broncos coming in with Queenslands colours rather than Brisbanes (blue and gold) to try and be Queenslands team rather than just Brisbanes.
Likewise Raiders and Storm went with unique colours vs the regional colours
It will be a South Island team. Dunedin has a 26,000 seat roofed stadium and will get 2-3 games a year.

They want to eventually get to 20 teams. Christchurch and Perth are No brainers. The third team is a bit more difficult.
I don’t see PNG having 30 NRL level players and I don’t see Aussies or Kiwis wanting to move their families to PNG.
Adelaide has been mentioned but not convinced there is a market for it. Personally I would just Bring back the Bears

I will end up with mixed emotions of who to cheer for if the Keas enter the NRL but that is probably a good problem to have.

I am a bit worried about extending to 20 teams - I don't think there is enough talent to go around 20 teams. Just adding the Dolphins and the 30 or 40 players they contracted had a big impact on the talent pool.

I also worry about 20 teams that some teams if they get a bad coach on go on a bad roll could become a ghetto team and no one will ever want to play for them.

It will be a South Island team. Dunedin has a 26,000 seat roofed stadium and will get 2-3 games a year.
I would think they'd do well to avoid geographically naming the team so as to not ostracise any fans - they've got a better chance to do it than the Dolphins did (their attempt was a bit of a farce given the QCup side...) - e.g., would a Wellington league fan support a "South Island" team? As a case study, it will be interesting to see if Auckland-based Wellington Phoenix fans remain loyal to the Phoenix or shift their allegiance to the new Auckland side.

I'd be thinking a "Southern" team, even if they're Christchurch-based and play majority of home games in the South Island. The other benefit of "Southern" (or similar) means that it doesn't directly conflict with "New Zealand Warriors" - as my vote would be that the Warriors do not change that element of their name.

Playing out of the new Christchurch stadium when it is finished and the Dunedin stadium give them two good grounds to play out of.

Both under a roof, mean good conditions.

Looking forward to a few year when the Warriors play the away game in the new stadium like was stated in the broadcast on Friday. Think they stated 2026 the last year of the deal.

Playing out of the new Christchurch stadium when it is finished and the Dunedin stadium give them two good grounds to play out of.

Both under a roof, mean good conditions.

Looking forward to a few year when the Warriors play the away game in the new stadium like was stated in the broadcast on Friday. Think they stated 2026 the last year of the deal.
Yep 2026. Already started saving my pennies for the trip to see us play in the new stadium

I would think they'd do well to avoid geographically naming the team so as to not ostracise any fans - they've got a better chance to do it than the Dolphins did (their attempt was a bit of a farce given the QCup side...) - e.g., would a Wellington league fan support a "South Island" team? As a case study, it will be interesting to see if Auckland-based Wellington Phoenix fans remain loyal to the Phoenix or shift their allegiance to the new Auckland side.

I'd be thinking a "Southern" team, even if they're Christchurch-based and play majority of home games in the South Island. The other benefit of "Southern" (or similar) means that it doesn't directly conflict with "New Zealand Warriors" - as my vote would be that the Warriors do not change that element of their name.
They'd be wise to schedule a game at the cake tin too for the Welly fan catchment, anyone south of the Bombays is southern. Bit of a shame for the Wahs after being embraced by the Chch fans so heartily if this happens, not sure how to feel about it as a Chch based Warriors tragic.

What're you a Mormon now? Multiple sister wives is my worst nightmare.
Could never work. Jealousy would get the better of us all. We’ve got to go the bitter rivals route and let the fan base tear itself apart.

I’m south of the Bombays but would stay loyal to the Warriors. Would feel wrong chasing the hot new thing in the fancy stadium with the exciting new players… actually, let’s just see how it all unfolds!

Could never work. Jealousy would get the better of us all. We’ve got to go the bitter rivals route and let the fan base tear itself apart.

I’m south of the Bombays but would stay loyal to the Warriors. Would feel wrong chasing the hot new thing in the fancy stadium with the exciting new players… actually, let’s just see how it all unfolds!
Never say never, we can all have a late midlife crisis

I think you should move to the new team but we keep this forum going.

We can have an actual rivalry & but go all football firm / ultra.

Taking out the logistics 2 x NZ teams in the NRL would be pretty cool.
Agree with all about ambiguous naming format.
Southern Keas sounds better than South Island Keas.
The Wahs have given the blue print in the past 18 months that a strong playing group needs to be backed by an equally strong head office and dynamic media team. Ability x Hype = Bandwagon! … ‘All Aboard’ 🎢

You are right, I see it being a South Island based team, But not called South Island. It will or should be the Southern …… Then as you mentioned you can play home games in Wellington as well, 2 in Wellington l, 2 in Dunedin, the rest in Christchurch

I'd support both teams, but being a proud Cantabrian, the southern team would be #1. And there's no way the new franchise should accommodate Wellington, the Warriors can keep them.
Why would you exclude Wellington? There are probably a lot of RL fans in the North Island that are south of the Bombays who aren't as enamoured by the Warriors as we (I'm also a proud Cantabrian) are.

Why would you exclude Wellington? There are probably a lot of RL fans in the North Island that are south of the Bombays who aren't as enamoured by the Warriors as we (I'm also a proud Cantabrian) are.
Because I selfishly don't want to share home games with a third city. As a rate payer, I want as many fixtures to be held at the new stadium as possible, Dunedin can have a couple but I don't want them to be shared around too much.