Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Would take any of the sharks second rowers if that’s what we’re after. Nikora, Jack Williams or Teig Wilton. With Utoikamanu also mentioned Royce Hunt would be handy from the sharks also, perhaps Tom Hazleton? If we want BHU, he’s off contract at the end of next year anyway.

Tom Hazleton of faster-than-Luke-Metcalf fame?? 😂

There would be the usual jokes about signing a second rower, but if you believe their reported salaries, switching from AFB to Nikora or Ice would save us 400k or so in 2025. If SJ calls it a day as well, that is another 500-600k, and all of a sudden, we can move Niukore to prop, get a gun backrower, and still 900k-1M to spend on a blue chip prop if we want

Last edited:
Stop the bull.... just go for Jason Taumalola.
Capewell has had long enough if he really wants what we offer
Something could very well happen in that space with Finefeuiaki offered good money from dragons and dolphins, also though Leilua in talks with raiders which could clear some space?

Stop the bull.... just go for Jason Taumalolo

WARRIORSCOWBOYSDRAGONS
Fonua-Blake (to Dragons)Taumalolo (to Warriors)Hunt (to Cowboys)
Metcalf (to Cowboys)Townsend (to Dragons)Su'a (to Warriors)

We get a genuine AFB replacement and a good enough backrower to move Niukore into the middle. The Cowboys clear cap space to keep Dearden and their forwards, get a half that they can contend with, and a half they can groom to partner Dearden. The Dragons get their man in AFB, get rid of a guy who doesn't want to be there, and still get a good veteran half

Again, just a bit of fun, but it does make a bit of sense for every player and team involved.

True, but the Broncos reportedly gave Capewell permission to leave for 2024 last Tuesday, which would waive the 10 day window you'd have to think, and if not, it still doesn't sound like Capewell has signed and we are just waiting for the 10 days to clock over

I am still on board with Capewell for now, but it does seem like Capewell doesn't really want to come here, but the money is the only thing that is making him consider it.

Reading into it a bit ofc though

WARRIORSCOWBOYSDRAGONS
Fonua-Blake (to Dragons)Taumalolo (to Warriors)Hunt (to Cowboys)
Metcalf (to Cowboys)Townsend (to Dragons)Su'a (to Warriors)

We get a genuine AFB replacement and a good enough backrower to move Niukore into the middle. The Cowboys clear cap space to keep Dearden and their forwards, get a half that they can contend with, and a half they can groom to partner Dearden. The Dragons get their man in AFB, get rid of a guy who doesn't want to be there, and still get a good veteran half

Again, just a bit of fun, but it does make a bit of sense for every player and team involved.
i think Su'a is abit overated myself...just my opinion..i'd rather give some game time to our young guys

Taumalolo waaay past his best. Unless the Cowboys we’re willing to pay for a minimum 40% of his current salary then no thanks.
Personally I thought Taumalolo looked good last year, still an incredibly damaging ball runner. I agree with you that he is past his best but still would be happy to have him in a Warriors jersey for 2/3 years and maybe the challenge reinvigorates him and we get 2 stella years, thats the dream i suppose.

Last edited:
Personally I thought Taumalolo looked good last year, still an incredibly damaging ball runner. I agree with you that he is past his best but still would happy to have him in a Warriors jersey for 2/3 years and maybe the challenge reinvigorates him and we get 2 stella years, thats the dream i suppose.
Hes contracted till end of 27. He will be 34 in the final year of that contract.

JT13 is no longer a pack leading forward, hence the rumours of him potentially getting shifted with Cows paying a chunk. He just doesn't have the explosiveness and cant play hard for big minutes like he use too. I agree with Mr. Brownstone - if he was up for $600k he'd be OK, but that won't happen.

Sua has defence issues. I swear he has been getting paid on potential his whole career, besides a good year at the Bunnies. Just another guy who is disposable/overpaid for a shit team. I don't think I would take any forward from the Dragons except Lawrie, but he won't go anywhere.

I can't see either seriously being looked at by the Warriors. I think the best we would do out of a AFB "swap" deal would be a promising young gun. Then use the money to sign a couple solid NRL forwards - eg Capewell and BHU or similar.

Personally I thought Taumalolo looked good last year, still an incredibly damaging ball runner. I agree with you that he is past his best but still would happy to have him in a Warriors jersey for 2/3 years and maybe the challenge reinvigorates him and we get 2 stella years, thats the dream i suppose.
I thought he was really ordinary last year, average metres 143 vs 157 in 2022, average post contact 56 metres vs 65 in 2022, 0.2 offloads a game vs 0.9, 1.9 tackle breaks vs 3.2 and his average minutes over the last 5 years have gone 64, 61, 59, 55 and then down to 49 in 2023. Total games have been 16 or less in 3 of the last 4 seasons. He’s not worth more than $600k a season.

I thought he was really ordinary last year, average metres 143 vs 157 in 2022, average post contact 56 metres vs 65 in 2022, 0.2 offloads a game vs 0.9, 1.9 tackle breaks vs 3.2 and his average minutes over the last 5 years have gone 64, 61, 59, 55 and then down to 49 in 2023. Total games have been 16 or less in 3 of the last 4 seasons. He’s not worth more than $600k a season.
Yep and to put it into context, people who are calling for Su'a, Su'a has lesser statistics in most of those areas than Taumalolo in 2023, in what was one of Jadyns better years. Su'a is reportedly on 600k a year.

Su'a - 2023
Ave Metres: 91m
Offloads pg: 1.5
Tackle Breaks pg: 1.9
Ave Mins: 74

Not sure why we would even want him as he plays predominantly second row. Not even worth a trade as he is offcontract in 2024 anyway. Really strange that he is even being mooted as trade bait.

Back