General English lessons

RMatenga

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 24, 2020
What does "For mine" mean? I noticed cricket commentators start to use the term 5 years ago. Have never heard anyone in real life use it. I asked my mother who has a degree in English and spent 20 years teaching English at high school and she has no idea of where the phrase comes from and hadn't heard of it.
It is a new millenium expression? Serious question. Would very much like to know.
Your use of it is the first time have seen someone use it on a message board.

Welcome to the forum by the way if you are a new.

I don't mean to be a jerk - just find that expression jarring.
From my perspective ?? - I dont give a F about english language.
I am from NZ - and speak neither english or maori with any real ability. Like many Kiwis slightly lazy - sweet as attitude.

You know the club is struggling when a RL forum creates a post on english language.

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
For mine = In my mind

In my mind, I think we need to...
For mine, I think we need to...
Don't know where it originated but my granddad used it whenever anyone asked for advice. He'd reply "in my mind you'd be better to do.....' or when he was asked what option he would prefer he'd come up with "its a red for mine"'. Funny language English.

Reactions: Sup42

Rick O'Shay

1st Grade Fringe
May 1, 2013
Canadians use "eh" even more than we do at the end of a sentence. Saves a question mark I guess eh?

Reactions: Sup42

Lenrat

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2012
I’ve always found it weird that Americans will say “It’s hot out” instead of ”It‘s hot outside”. Another one is “He wrote me”. What a haiku? A sonnet....finish the sentence 😉

Throw an “eh“ at the end of it at least “It’s hot out eh”. Always sounds better 😬

pbrown01123

stir it up!
Contributor
Mar 12, 2018
I've heard "for mine" used plenty of times outside of league circles so its a fairly common term in the English vocabulary.

What I cant understand with league players is why "those" often gets replaced with "them". Such as "We were in the hunt until they scored all them points."
in England it would be "We was in the hunt until they scored all them points."

• Haha
Reactions: jonesy101

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I always wonder why the English say sat instead of sitting. "I've been sat here like a twat waiting for you" lol. Other slangs like minging crack me up ('crack up' being a widely used Kiwi slang).

Some of the new fandangled kiddies ones annoy but thats just an old fart in the making in me. I remember my old man being pissed off with my ones.

If you don't understand them then thats kind of the point. Your not meant to cause you are likely outside the circle. For us parents its cause we are no longer cool and the minute we start using them its time for the kids to come up with another term.

Same thing happens in many professions for this very reason. You have to earn the right to know what these words mean and how to achieve them.

I always laugh at people who go on about the supposed butchering of the English language when the fact is the language itself is in constant evolvement and will be forever. Every year over a 1000 new words or definitions are added to the Oxford English dictionary. Thats the beauty of English. Its been anglicising and transliterating words since its inception.

Evolve or die. Or at the very least begin to not understand whats being said. Either that or go back to using words like ye and thee or spelling words like fvck yov...

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 26, 2014
For mine ldk what all you kids are on about its totes easy .
Go to England for visit that will do your head in aye.
An I still think Haiku was a wrestling legend .

• Haha
Reactions: Lenrat and Defence

pbrown01123

stir it up!
Contributor
Mar 12, 2018
That’s a sort of sub language used by ex footballers on the telly, Alan Shearer, Ian Wright etc.
it is.....but it's more than that. It's part of that v. complex class/inverse snobbery/can't have real masculine credentials if you can speak proper ( sic ) that this country is so full of

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
I have a very important rugby league question for the forum, how come Americans say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't less"?

eg. "I could care less about the 2020 Warriors"
v "I couldn't care less about the 2020 Warriors"
Sounds like the opposite but apparently they mean the same thing.

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans CBUS Super Stadium

Last Game

04 Jul

26 - 16
6.7 Total Avg Rating
7.1 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 30 ratings