General English lessons

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018
For mine murchie doesnt look any better than a local fox player like King Vuniyayawa or Preston Riki.
What does "For mine" mean? I noticed cricket commentators start to use the term 5 years ago. Have never heard anyone in real life use it. I asked my mother who has a degree in English and spent 20 years teaching English at high school and she has no idea of where the phrase comes from and hadn't heard of it.
It is a new millenium expression? Serious question. Would very much like to know.
Your use of it is the first time have seen someone use it on a message board.

Welcome to the forum by the way if you are a new.

I don't mean to be a jerk - just find that expression jarring.

Last edited:

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018
What does "For mine" mean? I noticed cricket commentators start to use the term 5 years ago. Have never heard anyone in real life use it. I asked my mother who has a degree in English and spent 20 years teaching English at high school and she has no idea of where the phrase comes from and hadn't heard of it.
It is a new millenium expression? Serious question. Would very much like to know.

Found this while googling..."for mine" - this is the only reference I could find with regards to "for mine" on the Internet.

"Posted by Smokey Stover on October 19, 2006

In Reply to: For mine Posted by Michael Sinclair on October 19, 2006

: I have a question about "for mine".

: You see this on a lot of chat forums. ie - "Dogs are better than cats for mine."

: OR

: "For mine, dogs are better than cats." (Which happens to be true!)

: It seems to replace 'in my opinion' but it doesn't seem to make any literary sense. I would love to hear if this is correct english or if it's an utter bastardisation of the language and where it originated from. (One guess!!!)

It would be correct if there was a previous sentence saying, perhaps, "For my part, dogs are better than cats." But lacking that it seems as though great liberties were being taken with the language.
SS"

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020

Hi Wrighty.I think it means IMO

scree

Warriors Bench Player
Aug 11, 2013
What does "For mine" mean?
I hate this too. Rugby League people are the worst at it, commentators especially, I can just picture Michael Ennis saying, "for mooooiine". I replied to a post by mrblonde that mentioned it at start of the year:
Worried2Death's reply was great, hah.
It's Aussie boomer pisshead talk, my old man came back from Sydney saying "for moiyne" like a wanker.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019

Person I hear it most from is Corey Parker.

Reactions: AlexM and wrighty

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
I've heard "for mine" used plenty of times outside of league circles so its a fairly common term in the English vocabulary.

What I cant understand with league players is why "those" often gets replaced with "them". Such as "We were in the hunt until they scored all them points."

Reactions: pbrown01123

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018
I've heard "for mine" used plenty of times outside of league circles so its a fairly common term in the English vocabulary.
This is untrue and false.

If you google "for mine" although 17 million responses are found...as far as I could tell when clicking on them were talking about gold mines or copper mines.
I could only find two instances in the Internet where the expression "for mine" was used to mean IMO.

Lastly this link shows the definition of the word "mine" https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mine?s=t

There is an extensive commentary on that page of how the word mine is used and none of those examples include "for mine".

What country are you on Jonesy are you in Australia?
For mine is not a New Zealand saying.

• Haha
Reactions: jonesy101

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Found this while googling..."for mine" - this is the only reference I could find with regards to "for mine" on the Internet.

"Posted by Smokey Stover on October 19, 2006

In Reply to: For mine Posted by Michael Sinclair on October 19, 2006

: I have a question about "for mine".

: You see this on a lot of chat forums. ie - "Dogs are better than cats for mine."

: OR

: "For mine, dogs are better than cats." (Which happens to be true!)

: It seems to replace 'in my opinion' but it doesn't seem to make any literary sense. I would love to hear if this is correct english or if it's an utter bastardisation of the language and where it originated from. (One guess!!!)

It would be correct if there was a previous sentence saying, perhaps, "For my part, dogs are better than cats." But lacking that it seems as though great liberties were being taken with the language.
SS"
It is purely Australian colloquial speech which New Zealanders have acquired from Aussie commentators.

It has become as legitimate as true blue dyed in the wool Kiwiana equivalents yeah nah...

For mine is for my opinion...lazy Aussie speech which league fans have adopted here from Aussie league commentary.

Another dumb habit kiwis have from Aussie league is saying this kid....

Really dumb and totally hokey...its not even how they talk in real life...but it stuck and so fans say this kid to sound legitimate in their lunch times.

Last edited:

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
It is purely Australian colloquial speech which New Zealanders have acquired from Aussie commentators.

It has become as legitimate as true blue dyed in the wool Kiwiana equivalents yeah nah...

For mine is for my opinion...lazy Aussie speech which league fans have adopted here from Aussie league commentary.

Another dumb habit kiwis have from Aussie league is saying this kid....

Really dumb and totally hokey...its not even how they talk in real life...but it stuck and so fans say this kid to sound legitimate in their lunch times.
Cooper Cronk is always "kid" this and that on those footy shows. Always makes me think you're fuck all older than him.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Thought it was a pretty common turn of phrase.
I always wonder what idk means?

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Thought it was a pretty common turn of phrase.
I always wonder what idk means?
idk = i don't know

My pet hate is when something funny is said and or happens & instead of laughing some tard literally says lol or l.o.l instead 👎🖕👊

WA supporter

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Mar 18, 2017
Perth
Cooper Cronk is always "kid" this and that on those footy shows. Always makes me think you're fuck all older than him.
I’m only surmising here,but I’m guessing ‘kid’ is just a term of endearment,as is the same place ’boy’ is bandied about withIn Maori circles. I’m 58yo but am still called boy, by my elders! One word I have noticed with reading posts from friends in NZ is,aye. Is this a throwback to the Scots,as in answering in the affirmative or is it meant to replace ‘eh‘?! Serious question. Because it’s often written as “we had a great time,aye!

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
I’m only surmising here,but I’m guessing ‘kid’ is just a term of endearment,as is the same place ’boy’ is bandied about withIn Maori circles. I’m 58yo but am still called boy, by my elders! One word I have noticed with reading posts from friends in NZ is,aye. Is this a throwback to the Scots,as in answering in the affirmative or is it meant to replace ‘eh‘?! Serious question. Because it’s often written as “we had a great time,aye!
The way Aye is used recently is just a misspelling of Eh which has stuck and never been corrected, partly because nobody knows if they actually mean Aye or Eh.

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
This is untrue and false.

If you google "for mine" although 17 million responses are found...as far as I could tell when clicking on them were talking about gold mines or copper mines.
I could only find two instances in the Internet where the expression "for mine" was used to mean IMO.
So you could only find 2 out of the 17 million results where you felt it was used in this context. You must be right then.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Scotland plus northern England (Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland) use the word aye as a replacement for yes

In Cumbria people emphasise something that is true by saying eh at the end of a sentence instead of using words like actually or clearly.

Last edited:
Reactions: WA supporter

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans CBUS Super Stadium

Last Game

04 Jul

26 - 16
6.7 Total Avg Rating
7.1 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 30 ratings