Internationals England RLWC2013 Campaign

This is the best Kiwis side we have had in recent memory, but quite frankly it is also the best English side I have seen in recent memory. They have more big play ability than they have had in the past.

England have beaten the Kiwis the last five times in a row in England, and while history is all relative, we flat out struggle there against them. All it takes is for an unlucky call or two to go against you and next thing you know you are behind on the scoreboard, the in goal areas have been shrunken to 3 foot, the ground is boggy and you can't seem to get your hands on the ball.

If England 1-12 is paying as much as I think it might be, several of my hard earned dollars may be placed accordingly.

Reactions: Sup42
This is the best Kiwis side we have had in recent memory, but quite frankly it is also the best English side I have seen in recent memory. They have more big play ability than they have had in the past.

England have beaten the Kiwis the last five times in a row in England, and while history is all relative, we flat out struggle there against them. All it takes is for an unlucky call or two to go against you and next thing you know you are behind on the scoreboard, the in goal areas have been shrunken to 3 foot, the ground is boggy and you can't seem to get your hands on the ball.

If England 1-12 is paying as much as I think it might be, several of my hard earned dollars may be placed accordingly.
I hear from the Rugger boys that Wembley is in shyte condition ,

Wembley will be like Rugby league played on the Moors all we need is a bit of fog and the Werewolf of London to appear and Rip a few Villagers apart to set the tone for what England have in mind for us.

Our team is made for fast surfaces , look at how sluggish Johnson looks on the Fly and with the step over there , whereas the English backs can move on the mud better than a hermit Crab.

Put the Tanks out there , that's how their Union Sides and League teams go around in on those Boggy surfaces , slow Line speed , Heavy men to dent the line with Mass as opposed to speed.

I'd be tempted to Leave Matulino out if we're picking for the conditions and roll the Lower to the ground cannon Ball Moa and Big Mud wrestling Sam Mamma Kas for a point of difference with his soft hands in the slug out.

Hopefully not needed , hopefully some careful attention by the groundsmen this week and favorable English Weather :rolleyes: sees a better surface.

Tomkins can't go so fast in the mud , but dam he just uses the ball to beat the man.

Williams might need eighty minutes to get his eye in on a crappy surface since shortened stints of your best attacking player makes for less opportunities for him to work out the conditions.

I'm watching the replay of England V Aussie , Dam the Poms look good. Crap reffing and some sloppy handling....otherwise England had Aussies number.

Reactions: Paleaaesina2the20
Lockers Wary of Kiwi Threat England face New Zealand at Wembley on Saturday with a place in the World Cup Final at stake.

Wigan Skipper Sean O'Loughlin is looking forward to the test and thinks playing at the National Stadium will give all the squad a huge lift,

"We know we can get a lot better and I think playing at Wembley will get a lot more out of everyone,"

"I think the venue itself can get the better of you sometimes.

"But there are a lot of players in the squad who have been there - the Wigan, Warrington and Leeds lads have all played there.

"I wouldn't say they're familiar with it but they've been there and I think it could be a bit of an advantage.

"But it's still about what you do on the field."

O'Loughlin, whose try in England's 34-6 win over the French doubled his tally for the season, admits that a repeat of last Saturday's performance at Wigan would not be anywhere near good enough to get past the Kiwis, who have scored 186 points on their way to reaching the last four.

"They're probably the most impressive team in the tournament," O'Loughlin said.

"If we perform like we did against the French, we will probably get more points put on us than we did on Saturday.

"They have a lot of dangerous players who will cause us a lot of trouble.

"They've got big physical players, who are handfuls to deal with and we know we have to be at our best to beat them.

"We will have to raise our performance if we want to get to the final."

They're taking us ultra seriously , as always , are we of the same mind ?

1. Defence the key against Kiwis: Graham
    By Chris Kennedy
    NRL.com
    1:40pm Wed 20th November, 2013English Test prop James Graham is playing his cards close to his chest regarding a strategy to overcome a powerful Kiwis forward pack, but says England's defence will be crucial if they are to advance to the World Cup Final.

"They've got such an exciting forward pack that promote the ball and run so hard and so strong," Graham said of the New Zealand side his team will face this Saturday (midnight AEDT, 2am Sunday New Zealand time).

"Out on the edge you've got some world class finishers, and the halfbacks are two of the most creative halfbacks knocking around in Johnson and Foran... everywhere across the park is just danger so we're going to have to defend really well if we want to get through," he said.

However Graham would not be drawn on England's strategy to tackle the monster Kiwi pack.

"I don't want to talk about that too much; without giving away too much we're going to have to work hard and we're going to have to deal with that threat that they pose and hopefully we can ask some questions of them too," he said.

"We're going to have to hang in there when the tough moments come... they've got so much strike power, we're going to have to really dig in and defend well and when times get tough is going to be where they game's going to be won and lost I think."

Graham, who featured in Canterbury's 2012 grand final loss to Melbourne, said England's semi-final meeting with New Zealand (the first match of a big double header at Wembley Stadium this Saturday), ranks up there among the biggest games he's played in.

"It's definitely up there, a World Cup semi-final, Wembley Stadium, it speaks for itself doesn't it?

"Coming up against the reigning champions as well, it doesn't get much tougher than that," he said.

"It's going to be a big game for us and we'll certainly have to bring our A-game if we want to get the win and get through to next week."

https://www.nrl.com/defence-the-key-a...6/default.aspx

[DOUBLEPOST=1384935145][/DOUBLEPOST]The psychological warfare in that Interview with Graham in addition to what Lockers says......

We've seen it all before.

Flattery then Ambush , the art of war....all warfare is deception.

just so you know, it doesn't look like the pitch is going to be too heavy. Here's the saturday forecast.

Dry but cold. Should suit some open rugby once everyone has warmed up enough to feel their fingers. I'd be surprised if the pitch were in as bad condition as you said Sup. We usually look after Wembley really well with it being the national stadium. Don't know when the rugger lot last played their though, I know Saries usually have one of their regularly season matches there (where they give out tonnes of free tickets and have someone quite popular singing before the match so they can creatively bump their averages up).

Actually scratch the above. The Wembley pitch is immaculate! I don't like football but here are photos from last nights match at Wembley and the pitch looks tip top.

Last edited:
just so you know, it doesn't look like the pitch is going to be too heavy. Here's the saturday forecast.

Dry but cold. Should suit some open rugby once everyone has warmed up enough to feel their fingers. I'd be surprised if the pitch were in as bad condition as you said Sup. We usually look after Wembley really well with it being the national stadium. Don't know when the rugger lot last played their though, I know Saries usually have one of their regularly season matches there (where they give out tonnes of free tickets and have someone quite popular singing before the match so they can creatively bump their averages up).

Actually scratch the above. The Wembley pitch is immaculate! I don't like football but here are photos from last nights match at Wembley and the pitch looks tip top.
Wow that blows the rubbish I read out of the water , nothing like seeing.
Jokes about English weather and boggy conditions aside .....wouldn't it suit England equally as well to play on a fast surface because the ESL is played in the summer in any case and you have plenty of speed in the backs.

Reactions: RidingPie
ESL tends to start in Feb and at least one of the early rounds usually gets some snow! That said I'm not sure how much of a benefit that is going to be to us. Both teams have players who can spread the ball wide and make use of a good surface. I'd love an English win BUT what I want more is for a brilliant spectacle that all the british media sits up and takes note of (possibly with Tomkins winning it in the last minute with an eye wateringly brilliant try)

I hear you can get some real downpours in New Zealand as well, so both teams would have be able to handle heavier conditions as well. That said I'm obviously hoping bad/cold conditions knocks the aussies off their game and either of us meets Fiji in the final ;) OK its never going to happen!

Reactions: Spence and Sup42
Rangi Chase has been dropped for England. I'm surprised by this only in that it means MacBanana has acknowledged that his prized halfback pairing hasn't worked.

He's been replaced by Widdop.

Rugby League World Cup 2013: England drop Chase for NZ semi

England have dropped Salford Red Devils half-back Rangi Chase for Saturday's World Cup semi-final against reigning champions New Zealand at Wembley.

The New Zealand-born player, who was named Man of Steel in 2011, has been replaced by Melbourne stand-off Gareth Widdop in England's 19-man squad.

Leeds centre or second rower Carl Ablett also joins the squad while Wigan hooker Michael McIlorum makes way.

Australia play Fiji in Saturday's second semi-final at Wembley.

anews.bbcimg.co.uk_media_images_70217000_jpg__70217320_70217319.jpg
Jamie Peacock BBC Sport pundit and former England captain

"There are players who we like to call world class but, for me, there is a category above that - what I like to call the generational players. On Saturday, I think there will be one in each forward pack - England's Sam Burgess and Kiwi Sonny Bill Williams."

Chase, 27, has been dropped despite starting each of England's opening four World Cup matches.

England coach Steve McNamara gave Chase his debut against France in October 2011 after a controversial switch of allegiance from New Zealand.

"As with every week, the squad is picked with not only the opposition in mind but the best combinations for ourselves," said McNamara.

New Zealand have won just one of their last 10 matches against England and Great Britain in the UK, but have knocked England out of the last two World Cups in the semi-finals.

"We have had a great week with our preparation and the players are ready to take on the world champions in what I believe is the biggest game we have been involved in since the Rugby League World Cup semi-final back in 2008," said McNamara.

"The players are well aware of the importance of the game and the improvements we have to make from our previous matches to give ourselves every chance of beating New Zealand.

"We will have to be at our best to win, but we'll relish the pressure of playing against a quality team on one of the biggest stages in world sport."

New Zealand will be without winger Manu Vatuvei after the 27-year-old failed to recover from a groin injury picked up against Scotland last Friday. He is replaced in the squad by St George Illawarra winger Jason Nightingale.

Sonny Bill Williams is the star man for the Kiwis, and England forward Sam Burgess admitted: "Sonny's a great player.

"He's great for the game, great for the World Cup, and it will be tough to control him but we'll look forward to that challenge."

England squad: C Ablett (Leeds), G Burgess (South Sydney), S Burgess (South Sydney), R Burrow (Leeds), J Charnley (Wigan), L Cudjoe (Huddersfield), L Farrell (Wigan), B Ferres (Huddersfield), J Graham (Canterbury Bulldogs), R Hall (Leeds), C Hill (Warrington), L Mossop (Wigan), S O'Loughlin (Wigan), J Roby (St Helens), K Sinfield (Leeds, capt), S Tomkins (Wigan), K Watkins (Leeds), B Westwood (Warrington), G Widdop (Melbourne).

World Cup semi-finals - NZ v England, Australia v Fiji

• Date: Saturday, 23 November
  • Kick-off: 13:00 GMT & 15:30
  • Venue: Wembley Stadium, London

Personally i'm backing Tomkins all the way. I just know the Kiwi forward pack is on another level. So i hope Tomkins still gets a chance to shine. At least he'll have a little help in the halves now with Widdop in his rightful role. The one thing i've seen with Sam during this tournament is how actually good he is at playing in the line. Like a genuine option in the halves. Silky backline moves. Any half would be proud of. So it delights me to know if injury dictates. Or otherwise. We've got another genuine option for our halves.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I cant wait! I may be overselling it but I think this match is going to be a blockbuster.

Our forward on paper is better but I'll be expecting the English to know this and come out firing regardless. What they lack in star power they will more then make up for in muscle and grunt. If the Kiwis pack become overawed we will lose. Period. This will be the making and some and the breaking of others IMO.

Im really looking forward to the Locke/Tomkins battle. If Locke gets the upperhand there will be mayhem on social media outlets for months.

Good call dropping Chase. Over rated IMO and has a tendency to overplay his hand.

Gonna be a great game. Im picking whoever wins this will go all the way...

Was thinking over the weekend about Widdop being left out. They need Sinfield in there as their captain and goal kicker and they have better options in the back row. Chase they have a high opinion of from Super League. Their coach came out before the tournament and said just cause a player plays in the NRL means they would be selected.

They haven't seemed to gel to well with Sinfield and Chase. I'd prefer Widdop in there' it will be interesting how they go.

It's good to see we are the team reasonably settled for a change, halves and hooker are settled the main headache is which fullback option suits us best. We're talking of getting a settled team from the quarter finals through to the end.

Reactions: OMG
Gonna be a great game. Im picking whoever wins this will go all the way...
In a weird way with our recent history against England in England and their forward pack I'm more worried about them than Australia. That's a headache for another week I suppose.

Im really looking forward to the Locke/Tomkins battle. If Locke gets the upperhand there will be mayhem on social media outlets for months.
We win either way. Locke performs it's good for NZ and hopefully lights a fire in him to come back and prove a point. Tomkins goes well (still loses as I don't want him to go that well :)) it reaffirms our decision to buy them.

Plus their both under contract to us and it's not our money or headache on how to play them although it makes for great discussion.

Personally i'm backing Tomkins all the way. I just know the Kiwi forward pack is on another level. So i hope Tomkins still gets a chance to shine. At least he'll have a little help in the halves now with Widdop in his rightful role. The one thing i've seen with Sam during this tournament is how actually good he is at playing in the line. Like a genuine option in the halves. Silky backline moves. Any half would be proud of. So it delights me to know if injury dictates. Or otherwise. We've got another genuine option for our halves.
Yeah Sams a Stand off playing fullback , the reverse Darren Lokyer experiment.

There is no way Slater who is brilliant and has all the skills can play a ball for a Try assist as well as Sam Tomkins , he is a freak.

If only we can get going what Wigan had when they had halves who didn't need mucking around with in TL and Brett Finch with Tomkins in the matrix.

I would invest three years of game time in Chad Townsend and Johnson to get a Solid halves pairing that can afford a fourth play maker in Tomkins instead of the traditional three 6 7 9