Internationals Emotional Wiki fires up Kiwis

Wiki_old

Emotional Wiki fires up Kiwis
05 May 2006
By STEVE KILGALLON

Kiwis skipper Ruben Wiki gave an emotional speech to his teammates at the start of their preparations for tonight's Anzac test against Australia, explaining to them just what making his 51st appearance for New Zealand will mean.

Test football's most-capped player has no plans for his international retirement, and plans to battle through a strained hamstring to lead the Kiwis again tonight in a game he expects to become a "nice little arm-wrestle".

"I told the boys I was very honoured to be a part of this," Wiki said.

"As soon as new faces come into the camp, it makes me feel like I have just started again. I told the boys that I may be pretty chilled on the outside, but inside, I am on edge.

"A few of the younger boys, who haven't been part of this team before, stood up and spoke and said they can't wait."

Wiki told his men to forget last year's Tri-Nations final.

"What we did last year was pretty special, but we can't deny that it is in the past.

"We just want to improve on what we did last year now. But the Aussies now know we are not pushovers.

"We will go right to the wire, and the boys are very, very keen to play for their country. That's why I love being a part of this."

Wiki, who hasn't been able to train fully because of a hamstring strain suffered just six days ago, says the Kiwis will try to dominate the game through the forwards and limit the space and time given to Australian halfbacks Darren Lockyer and Andrew Johns.

"We will just grind away," he said.

"A nice little arm-wrestle is what we want."

- Fairfax

https://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3657743a1823,00.html

warrior_girl81_old

nice little arm wrestle...hope itll be more than that!! nah, good speech ruben.

AliN_old

the ultimate motivator ... now why wouldn't anyone put their bodies on the line for their country and each other after that little speech that you know is straight from the heart!
Go Kiwis!

jahc_old

damn... wiki playing injured.. SBW not at full fitness.. question marks over benji's shoulder.. this game could go very badly for us tonight.

Robster_old

yes I am concerned, no matter what you say you can't play your best with a hamstring or any injurie, it's like a house it will always be there until a fire takes it away, I'm concerned , I would have Thomas L starting for our on field kicking.

Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old

jeromesgirl said:
nice little arm wrestle...hope itll be more than that!! nah, good speech ruben.

of course it will be more than that, don't wanna give to much away.

2big2strong_old

if it was any more than an arm wrestle it'd be boring, i'm in for an 80 minute game!

us by two

Woop Woop_old

Bloody inspirational and from the heart!

Reading his speech has just made me worse for wear. I couldnt sleep last night because of all the hype on the radio/tv/forums. Now this! I will just have to chill out and try and relax for the next 5 and a half hours.

I tried my hardest to stay away from the forum today but couldnt resist the temptation.

Ronnie_7_old

Wiki could be at 60% and he would still rip those Aussies apart. Man oh man 6 hours and 15 minutes to go **keeps tapping her fingers**

2big2strong_old

is it just me or is this game possibly the most anticipated test match in living memory? i feel as though it's almost bigger than the tri-nations final! i can't wait, first time Andrew Johns has EVER played against Benji and Sonny, first time benji and sonny (possibly the two brightest stars of nz league's future) get to play together!!! this is GREAT!!!! bring it on!

Ronnie_7_old

Yeah Hugh McGahn(Spelling) said on Code last night that it wasn't the biggest game ever but who is he kidding this is the biggest game ever. The best player in the world (Andrew Johns) on his way out and on their way in Sonny Bill and Benji (even though they've played before). The whole K.Hunt debacle and the fact that the Aussies have a score to settle (24-0) for like the first time in a long time. If Andrew Johns comes out and says that this is his last test in the Green and Gold this has to be the biggest match ever!!
5 hours 55 minutes to go

commonsense_old

i dont doubt wiki at all. that guy is an absolute warrior. i remember he was in total doubt to play his last game for the raiders a couple years ago. docs said no chance initially but guess who ended up playing.